What's new

Valet

Founder of The AutoStrop Co. Henry J. Gaisman.
First patents in May and July 1904. On a safety razor and straightening razor blades
A couple of months earlier, before the famous Gillette patent.
The first razors were sold in 1906.
By 1920, he had dozens of patents.
One of his many patented inventions was sold to his friend George Eastman for $300,000. It was called writing on tape while she was in the cell. This is how Kodak Autographic cameras appeared
In 1930, AutoStrop Co had a conflict with Gillette
company. The essence of the conflict was that AutoStrop Co received a patent and trademark for several blades. They were identical to Gillette's new blades (which the firm received a patent for the following month).
After some litigation, Gillette decided it was cheaper to buy AutoStrop Co than to sue it.
In November 1930, the two companies merged. Henry J. Gaisman not only received 20 million but also became chairman of the board at Gillette.
When Henry J. Gaisman was asked why he was paid 20 million dollars for the company when the company's assets were only 9 million, he answered: “but, gentlemen, I have a patent for this product!”
A patent for the Valet trademark was filed on July 19, 1912. It was put on razors, knives, files, scissors. But
rarely used on AutoStrop products before December 1920

‘Auto type’ blades patented in 1927 by Valet
AutoStrop razors have been sold to many companies.
Below is a sample list.
Kurt Moe described several in Knife World (Dec 1994).
U.S.brands included Golf (Golf Blade Co., New York),
Velvet Edge, Eastman and Eastmor (Fuller Blade Co., N.Y.),
Blue Jay (Hill & McLaughlin, Inc., Minneapolis, Minn. ©️
1936), Drexel (Drexel Blade Co., LeCenter, Minn.), Hood
(Brooke Razor Blade Corp., N.Y.), Harmony (Harmony
Razor Blade Co., New York and Chicago, distributed by
Gotham Sales Co., New York), Kriss Kross Auto Type
Blade, Lesota (Aitchison Mfg., Albert Lea, Minn.), Molle
(Molle, Bedford, Ohio), Oregonian (distributed by P.
Rosomny, Portland, Oregon).

Last edited:
Check out this thread if you haven't already, plenty of great info. I have a Valet VB2 in my rotation and it's one of my favorite razors.

Every once in a while I pop into the DE forum and point out how Gaisman hosed Gillette and wound up as Chairman of the Gillette board after Gillette tried to pinch the Gaisman patent - I don't know why I enjoy it so much, but I do.

Gaisman lived to be 104 years old, long enough to see the SE philosophy win out, albeit in a cartridge format.

The razor example is in excellent condition and I really like it. Open Comb it's razor. Valet 1930s

IMG-fb289b8596ef98a2166c69e9432335b1-V.jpg

I can't get past this Valet that a friend of mine saw in an antique shop and bought because it was in perfect condition, maybe used once or twice, if at all, and then kept in its original case for 100 years. He offered me this razor. Feather FAS-10 blades are still produced for it in Japan. The kit includes an unused shaving brush and a sealed soap that has carried its fragrance through all these years. I could not resist and asked him to set aside this razor for me. Near Valet in gilding, which I also decided to take myself.
IMG-a7efa0771354d1d6252ee7ec234cd687-V.jpg

I don't have a Feather FAS-10 on hand at the moment, so I decided to find a way to use the DE blade with it. It is necessary to break it in half in this way and make a cut along the middle. So you can shave them, but also manually trim them a little, since a slight distortion may be present, but it can be easily eliminated.

20230214_202516.jpg
20230214_202531.jpg
20230214_202707.jpg

Top Bottom