What's new

AutoStrop/Valet Razors: A Typology in 13 Parts

Razor: Autostrop Valet - VB1
Blade: Feather Seikan FAS-10 Carbon
Brush: Simpsons: Special 1 Best Badger 20mm
Pre-Shave: Face Scrub, Thayers, Hyaluronic Acid
Lather: Taylor of Old Bond Street: Jermyn Street (sensitive skin)
Aftershave: Wholly Kaw Man From Mayfair (toner)
Additional Care:
Taylor of Old Bond Street - Sandalwood Luxury Gel
B1BD5C69-63A3-4760-9EDE-379B54665968.jpeg

Shave Rating: 8.5/10
Feather Seikan Carbon...Take Three...Action!
Attn: This VB1 and strop are not the same as the ones pictured in my above post.

I installed the blade in its third Valet razor. This time it’s a VB1. Seven strops per side...and let’s get this show on the road.
The first pass seemed to be a little smoother than the other two shaves, maybe the stropping is mellowing it out. Angle is very important with the Valets and it’s easy to lose it when changing hands or pass directions. The second and third pass were smooth. BBS everywhere except under my jaw which needs a jury to decide if it’s a true BBS or not.

So far i can’t truthfully say I’m impressed with these Carbon Feather blades, but I have thirty of them so I’ll keep experimenting. I’ll give this blade another stropping and shave.
Even though these blades haven’t provided a wondrous shave, I haven’t been left with any kind of discomfort or razor burn. Post shave feeling has been as good as it gets.

This blade still needs some time, then I’m going to be trying the carbon GEM and PAL blades. I kind like playing with the strop. I’m just not sure how often and how many strops are needed.

Post some photos once you have the strop loosened up.
I tried taking a picture, but cant get the detail. Its 90 years old so I gave it a bit of moisture. I rubbed it with mink oil with a hair dryer. Soaked it right up. The strop is now nice and supple, soft and flexible.

Razor: Autostrop Valet VC1 (1922-1929?)
Blade: Gem Blue STAR (carbon) (6)
Brush: Spiffo D'rargo (Manchurian Two-Band SHD Fan)
Lather: Henri et Victoria - Cognac & Cuban Cigars
Aftershave: Henri et Victoria - Cognac & Cuban Cigars (Splash)
Additional Care:
Henri et Victoria - Cognac & Cuban Cigars (Balm)
Henri et Victoria - Cognac & Cuban Cigars (EDP)

53A369BE-B213-46A8-B5FD-9E9735444958.jpeg

Shave Rating: 9.8/10
Carbon blade shootout! Feather Seikan (FAS-10) vs GEM Blue STAR.
I’ve been using various Autostrop razors for my last three shaves with a Feather FAS-10 carbon blade. I’ve found that on the first pass where my whiskers are hardiest, the Seikan felt like it was tugging at them. It did cleanly shave them, but wasn’t the most comfortable feeling shave. Post was always smooth and irritation free.

Today, I’m going to use my VC1 Autostrop with a GEM blue STAR Carbon blade that has already performed five shaves and has been marinating in my GEM razors. I’m going to strop it ten times on both sides and slot it in for shave number six, but first I’ll have to modify it to fit in an Autostrop.
Ignore the black stains. That’s just the nature of carbon.
This blade has five shaves already

0256B689-99EF-4C5A-88E7-EECBE62E920A.jpeg

...and here it is. Customized To fit in my Autostrop
D8667D91-A60D-4D27-9BC7-2B6AC130D406.jpeg

Here we go...strop, strop, strop...x ten per side.

As smooth as butter! After only one stroke I could tell this blade is going to blow the Seikan out of the water in the smoothness and comfort scale. No tugging and a nice even glide with a smooth humming feeling. Like tires on wet pavement. The entire shave was enjoyable, and as always the Henri et Victoria soap performed as expected. Post shave face feel...wonderful. Cognac & Cuban Cigars...mmmmmmm.

I like to keep an open mind, so on my next shave I’m going to use this exact same VC1 razor, soap and brush along with the Seikan with ten stroppings. Who knows? Maybe it will improve with more uses as some blades do. It’s only fair that I continue with it and get the big picture.

I’ll try anything twice!

Razor: Autostrop Valet VC1 (1922-1929?)
Blade: Feather Seikan FAS-10 Carbon (4)
Brush: Henri et Victoria: Karma (synthetic) 25mm
Lather: Henri et Victoria - Cognac & Cuban Cigars
Aftershave: Taconic - Lavender Lime Splash

FCD8F02E-42B8-46B3-BC54-30FB4F4D50AA.jpeg

Feather Seikan FAS-10 CARBON Rematch
Okay, I felt the last shave with this razor (VC1) and the GEM Blue STAR Carbon blade really showed up the Seikan, so I felt it only fair for a rematch. Same razor...same soap...ten strops per side.

The Seikan was much easier and smoother on the first pass this time around. Really loud feedback, like scraping toast, but that sound has no connection to comfort. Don’t let the sound play with your imagination and make you think you’re feeling something you’re not. Blade didn’t feel tuggy today, but I could feel the edge hewing down whiskers to surface level. As before, passes two and three were smooth and efficient. Post shave face feel...excellent. No irritation of any kind.

To be totally fair to this blade, even though my first few shaves felt a bit tuggy and uncomfortable during the first pass, my post shave face feel was always wonderful. I’d say...as good as it gets.

So here I am, still confused on the status of this blade. I will continue to put the Seikans through their paces until I unlock their secret. It’s hard, since it really only fits in my Autostrops, but I think for its next shave I’m going to attach the spine I pulled off the modified blue STAR to it, and give it a go in one of my GEMS.

CoVid bad/Stropping good!

Top Bottom