What's new

August 2020 Gentlemanly Restraint Until Month End (GRUME)

Owen Bawn

Garden party cupcake scented
How are you liking the Arko?
By the way, wasn’t there a song about that stuff?
I seem to remember a song lyric; “Arko, Arko all day...”
Never heard that tune. Most people over the age of 50 know who the Marx Brothers were- Groucho, Harpo, & Chico. True film fans also remember there was a 4th brother, Zeppo, who played the straight man part. Marx Brothers fanatics remember a 5th brother, Gummo, who performed in the act during their vaudeville days but never appeared in a film. Well it is a little known fact that there was a 6th Marx Brother named Arko, who became a barber.

Or something like that.

Still in. Making inroads on the tub of Mikes Bum Rum. These Chubby 2’s really annihilate soap pucks.

This is my 1st GRUME, and I feel like:
F7769B78-156D-4531-AD97-C74FA55F1688.gif

Ok somebody stop me.

Right now in the BST

Stirling Pro Handle 26mm: $8

Omega 50014 Travel Brush: $5

Plus $3 shipping

RRrrrrrr..........

Take a look at this:

Stay strong and have fun enjoying what you already own! :)

Ok somebody stop me.

Right now in the BST

Stirling Pro Handle 26mm: $8

Omega 50014 Travel Brush: $5

Plus $3 shipping

RRrrrrrr..........
I'll send you a list of motorcycle parts. When the urge to buy something shaving related hits, get something of the list. It'll scratch that immediate itch and help you learn restraint. I'd be willing to help you like this.

Take a look at this:

Stay strong and have fun enjoying what you already own! :)
I'll send you a list of motorcycle parts. When the urge to buy something shaving related hits, get something of the list. It'll scratch that immediate itch and help you learn restraint. I'd be willing to help you like this.
Thanks, guys. I was able to stay stong. The strength was needed again today in the drug store. Glycerin was on clearance, and I have been wanting to try making an uber lather. I am in the Arko Gung-ho (all Arko, all August). So that helped. Arko really is an excellent performer. The scent well that another story.

SOTD
  • Fat Handle Tech
  • Nacet (4)
  • Arko for August
  • Stirling Two-Band Synthetic
  • WH w/menthol, LTFT
  • Stirling Bay Rum ASB
  • Vintage Avon Bay Rum AS
The Tech is mild enough, but certainly seems efficient - more efficient that some of my "nicer" OC razors. That's a bit of a bummer, because there's something I really like about using an OC razor, but I like efficiency even more. If only I could get the experience of an OC razor with the efficiency of an SB razor...

And, of course, Arko continues to deliver fantastic, effortless lather.

Still in!
Mrs. Rookie says I can't do any bulk ordering until all of my samples are gone, so I've been trying to, I don't want to say burn through them. But perhaps hasten my enjoyment of them?

In that spirit, I put a fresh Rapira SS into my Gillette SS. A super stainless in a super super speed makes sense, right? I can see the blade breaking in nicely. And if not, I have a friend at work who we trade back and forth.

I tried a new soap tonight. I'm going to learn how to use soaps in time to ask for some good ones for Christmas come hell or high water! A little while ago I got a sample pack of Chisled Face soaps and I'm starting to get the hang of it. Tonight was Trade Winds. Lathered nicely, but had a little bit of a menthol kick. Not a fan of menthol, but that wasn't as bad as it could have been. And there were slight undertones of citrus and something fresh and familiar, but I can't put my finger on it. I think a puck of this for when I'm under the weather or allergies are kicking in.

So yeah! C'mon guys! Let's use this time to explore the depths of our dens! We can do this easy!

Still in!
Mrs. Rookie says I can't do any bulk ordering until all of my samples are gone, so I've been trying to, I don't want to say burn through them. But perhaps hasten my enjoyment of them?

In that spirit, I put a fresh Rapira SS into my Gillette SS. A super stainless in a super super speed makes sense, right? I can see the blade breaking in nicely. And if not, I have a friend at work who we trade back and forth.

I tried a new soap tonight. I'm going to learn how to use soaps in time to ask for some good ones for Christmas come hell or high water! A little while ago I got a sample pack of Chisled Face soaps and I'm starting to get the hang of it. Tonight was Trade Winds. Lathered nicely, but had a little bit of a menthol kick. Not a fan of menthol, but that wasn't as bad as it could have been. And there were slight undertones of citrus and something fresh and familiar, but I can't put my finger on it. I think a puck of this for when I'm under the weather or allergies are kicking in.

So yeah! C'mon guys! Let's use this time to explore the depths of our dens! We can do this easy!

Right!
I’ve been working through the Haslinger soaps and had neglected to use my tube of Proraso Red. Boy does it lather and shave well!
Fat Handle Tech
Rapira Platinum Lux
Colonel x2L
Proraso Red
Another DFS with Proraso Red.

Still in!

I'm a huge fan of the CFG soap base. Their scents are - to me, anyway - very polarizing. I love some and actually had to give others away. But the good ones are great!

In any case, it will be a while before I get back to a CFG soap. I have enough soap to last a number of years and I'm not buying anything else until I'm down to just a few soaps. At that time, I'll have some staples on hand (Tabac, Arko, Haslinger) and rotate in one or two artisans like B&M, Stirling and CFG.

I find that working with a soap for a month lets me (a) learn the lather and (b) get through a decent amount of it. I know that some people feel they would go crazy with a month of one soap, but it takes me a week or so to truly dial in a soap, and then I enjoy the amazing lather for three weeks before I move on to another soap.

I find this to be more satisfying than jumping from soap to soap, wondering which one will get me a great lather, trying this one, then that one. It turns out that almost all of them can build enjoyable lather, if I just take the time to learn their characteristics.

YMMV

Yeah, I tried soaps a couple times, but creams were so much faster. There's certainly room for both in my den. I just need to learn to use them. Find myself like 4 scents to play around with.

I know what you mean by some of the scents being polarizing. That Cryogenic or whatever they call it! Mentholated and then adding additional menthol, that's a bit too much.

Top Bottom