What's new

ATG is it really worth it?

Do You Shave ATG?

• I ATG Shave Every Time

• I Never ATG Shave

• I Occasionally ATG Shave

Results are only viewable after voting.
ATG shaving is really great for some people and those with good razor/blade/skin combinations I'm sure can get super smooth shaves without any irritation at all but after reading tons of shaving problem being caused by it and how you need to wait to learn how to shave ATG properly I was wondering if it's really even that important?

There are a lot of directions to shave in, WTG(with the grain) XTG(across the grain) ATG(against the grain) North to South, South to North.

I'm in construction so I shave at night after I shower. I find 3 passes work best for me. First North to South to trim things down then my second & third passes are done diagonally which with my mapping is a combo of WTG & XTG that I flip between passes.

This gets me pretty visibly smooth but if I rub my fingers ATG it will still feel rough and I'm perfectly fine with that.

What I'm wondering is why people even bother going ATG? I'm sure it is very dependent on your face hair type and some people with very thick flat hair can't visible look shaven without going ATG.

I find that my stubble is visible starting to come back within a few hours and I may be able to prolong that with a ATG pass but it's not a big deal to me since I'm not in an office or personnel job.

Is there really a point in being baby smooth in all directions for a couple of hours? Am I missing out on something or is it just ocd?

I'm adding a small pole to the thread to get a feel on what people think about ATG. Thanks!

I think it would come personal preference...and personal needs. If you are in a position where you need to avoid having a 5:00 shadow....and are shaving at night...ATG might be pretty important. I can't do it, however. It's either my technique or my hair or my skin...or all three, but it irritates my face to go against the grain. I would like to get there someday though. Mine would be personal preference. I can get away with the slight stubble i have the next day after my 3 passes the night before.

Yes it's worth it once you have your prep, form and product pairings right. ATG every time for me and I have a thick, coarse beard. Is an uncomfortable BBS worth it? No, but if you want to learn to get a comfortable BBS, you'll have a few uncomfortable shaves doing so.

I never do AGT anymore, for several reasons:

1. I have no need to have a BBS face.
2. I actually like the stubble look, so the sooner I get back to that, the better.
3. ATG wears your razor's edge more than a one pass, WTG shave (meaning it will have to visit the hones sooner)

I always go ATG. I AM OCD about any little stubble being felt against the grain while pulling taut. I feel if I am going to do this, I might as well go all the way. I will get some irritation on my chin and I do get irritation under my nose. But, no pain no gain right?

Form me, I always do my 2nd pass ATG. If I skip this step it just dosn't look like I shaved at all and it makes the XTG pass much less effeicent. I rarley have trouble with an ATG pass but that is how I used to shave with cartridges all the time so maybe I'm just used to it.

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
It's a question only you can answer TBO. I would say "to heck" with what everyone else does and just give yourself an enjoyable, comfortable shave :).

I am a fairly new DE shaver (been about 4 weeks or so for me now) and the first 2 weeks I did only a 2 pass shave (WTG and XTG). After I started to feel more comfortable I started doing ATG on my cheeks/chin only which seemed to work ok. So Sunday night (I shave at night as well) I decided to try ATG on my neck for the first time. I started on the right side of my neck and tore it up something fierce towards the bottom. I think I figured out what went wrong and attempted to correct my technique on my left side and was successful (no nicks , cuts or burn). With that being said, I don't know if my left side was successful from my technique or my skin/hair on that side is "better"

In case you're interested this is what I did:

Right side (tore my neck up): Zero pressure and 2" long strokes. I think my stroke/pass with the razor was too long for ATG and that this is what caused the problem

Left side (successful): Negative pressure and 1/2" long strokes. I took some of the pressure off of the razor and made shorter strokes and it seemed to do the trick.

I didn't shave last night because I wanted to give my neck time to recover, I'll report back if my technique really did help or if my hair/skin on my right side is just stubborn.

Also, any suggestions are welcome.

I shave ATG sometimes. Maybe half the time.

One reason is that I like to shave at night. If I get a really close shave at night, I'll be fine for work the next day, no question.

Another is that I just like how it feels.

Finally, there's always the desire to not beard-burn the Mrs, and let's face it, I hope to be rubbing up against her as often as possible.

I think ATG is definitely worth the extra effort. For a clean shaven look I can get away with a 2 pass shave. But, I prefer a 3 pass with ATG for the feel. My face hair grows from left to right so without an ATG pass SWMBO will comment on how one side of my face is only smooth on one side.

I have to shave WTG, ATG, and XTG because the hair on my face grows in all sorts of weird directions, especially the chin area. I've learned to do it without irritating the skin a lot, and good pre- and post-shave treatments ensure a nice, pain-free shave for me.

-- Sammy

For me, ATG gives me a feeling of personal accomplishment. There's just something satisfying and rewarding about a BBS shave. While I do think it looks better and the shave lasts longer with an ATG pass, I do it simply because I like the way it makes me feel.

ATG on the second or third pass for every shave. Exception is upper lip. I do partial ATG in the center above the lip with a straight, but can't seem to get ATG there with either a DE or SE (or cart).

Ever tried pulling off a full-face crash helmet when you have the tiniest amount of stubble? It feels like it's ripping your face off.
There are times when true BBS is worth getting.

Worth it if your face can handle it and you feel it's necessary. As for me, DFS with much less effort and irritation is grand.

If you want a true BBS You have to go ATG.
If you don't care about a BBS then you don't have to.

Its no more complex than any other pass, you just have to think mirrors, whats up is down,whats down is up.
if that sounds too greek, what I mean is
you have to reverse everything you do WTG, then the ATG is as easy as a WTG.

I was not able to do it at first, dropped it and revisited it at a later date and voila everything fell into place.

If I would not shave ATG, I would actually like half of my blades, Feather would be the winner, and I would have the most nick free face ever.

First, I love to faceturbate, second, my SWMBO likes me BBS. And trust me, I would feel like sandpaper if I didn't get BBS.
But, if I would have had problems getting BBS, I am sure I would have stayed with electric.
Is a matter of achievement, but also is a matter of making the shaving a real quest and challenge, in finding the right way to get BBS as comfortable as possible.
Finding the right blade, finding the way to keep my beard moist, getting proper lather, blade angle, technique, etc would all not matter almost at all, if I would not shave ATG.

No one forces you to get BBS and shave ATG for it. But there is one thing to remember. I believe that is worth at least trying to find a way to achieve it, and now that I started to get more and more comfortable going ATG, I can only conclude that the "glossy" aspect of my face helps with it, but is achieved only after shaving a while ATG. Doing so levels out the follicles, letting the hair be more exposed, and even more important, letting you get the closest shave possible.

So the final answer is that you need quite some time and work to achieve it, but if it does become comfortable for you, then I really think is worth the effort.

If you don't care, then fine, but at least be honest to yourself, and don't accept the "it doesn't work for me" after 1 single unsuccessful try, and then pretend that you don't care about it. :blush:

Top Bottom