What's new

Are You Mocked For Your Shaving Choice and Hobby?

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
One thing, among several, I dislike about getting older: I often repeat the same story to people who have heard it before.

I read through this entire thread to see if I've related this one here. We were at a party at our son's in-laws place. One of the nephews said, he just got a Supply injector razor he uses to shave his head. I asked him what model he is using since there is the original and a 2.0 version as well as an adjustable model. As @luvmysuper mentioned, his eyes glazed over immediately. He had no idea... didn't know what blades he was using, etc. I quickly changed the subject. I thought I might have found a shaving friend in the family... but alas.... no.

One of my friends is a knife geek so at least I can discuss hones and honing. I have been asked about different blades and where to buy them by a couple of friends but mostly get the eyes glazing over. Except for my actuary and accounting friends when I mention the market for straights has risen over the last few years and I sold a razor and was disappointed with a mere 400% ROI.

Am I mocked? No. But I love to make fun of myself and I don't take myself too seriously. Besides, not too many people know I DE shave. The Mrs. has no opinion and is happy I'm happy. She lets me do my own thing. Only a buddy at work knows, and he's the exact opposite of me. He hasn't shaved in years and his beard is on his stomach. I joke with him about using Dorco blades, so of course the dork jokes ensue.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
I'll be at our son's in-laws place tomorrow... I'll shave late this afternoon... but I won't be mentioning anything shave related unless asked. I did just give that son a new stainless steel no-name AC barber razor and some blades on Monday.... he might let me know how he likes it. He has a beard and just shaves his neck and the cheek line... but he shaves dry, even after I gave him a nice badger brush, some soap and a shaving bowl. <eg>

Teased a little. Harassed (rightfully) when I'm hogging the sink for the better part of an hour. That much me time doesn't happen every week.

All three sons wet shave. I didn't have to push them. So no issues (but few discussions) there. They are definitely saving money. And they appreciate that they will never run out of free supplies. So still zero cost for the two youngers.

And I have enjoyed meeting some B&Bers IRL. Just be careful who you talk to.

My experience is similar to others; I am not mocked but I am smothered in a greasy plastic bag of utter indifference.

Or at least I used to be. Then I hit on the idea of giving guys a razor kit of their own. Thus far I have made 8 converts with this method; the most recent being a cousin who texted me yesterday to say how much he loves his Barrister and Mann Spice soap, and how he smells it on his face as he drives to work, and can I recommend the best videos to improve his technique? (I gifted him his gear after staying at his house for an out-of-state wedding I attended at the beginning of June).

A lifelong friend of mine (who cannot be won over, alas!) has a 28 year old son who got married a year and a half ago. I gave him a WCS starter kit as a wedding present; this kid loves wet shaving! He called me a few weeks ago to chat about how much he enjoys his shave, and how he looks forward to it as an indulgence in an otherwise masculine world of work and responsibility. (I'm paraphrasing, of course, but this is what he told me). He bought a Merkur Slant from me, and recently picked up a PAL Injectomatic after I told him how cool injector razors are. He is a Trad Shaver for life.

I also like to soften up my recipients with a video to pique their interest. This is my go-to

Once I get them to watch it and they have a razor of their own, they slowly learn for themselves why this is a worthwhile way to fly.

They may not join B&B, but I have improved the quality of their life by stealth and that pleases me. 😀

Great post and fantastic concept!
I've considered gifting a few folks some traditional shaving stuff, particularly my brother, who's the only one who's expressed even the slightest interest. Of course, at that point he decided to grow a full beard so maybe not. :laugh:

Great post and fantastic concept!
I've considered gifting a few folks some traditional shaving stuff, particularly my brother, who's the only one who's expressed even the slightest interest. Of course, at that point he decided to grow a full beard so maybe not. :laugh:
Do it! Once that shiny razor and brush are gleaming on his sink... once the rightly scented soap tickles his nostrils... That's when you'll recruit your brother! His sincere thanks later on will more than recompense you! 😀

Do it! Once that shiny razor and brush are gleaming on his sink... once the rightly scented soap tickles his nostrils... That's when you'll recruit your brother! His sincere thanks later on will more than recompense you! 😀
Because he's a history buff like me, he's shown some interest in getting a vintage Gillette. His birthday is coming up in mid-September. Maybe a '50's Super Speed, some Proraso and a couple of tucks of DE blades would be a good present.

My wife occasionally comments on the fact (proven, she's a bookkeeper) that I've spent a couple thousand on what started as a quest to not spend $75 / year on Mach 3 razors. I occasionally comment that I've never tallied the sum of proceeds to Kate Spade and Coach. I usually, immediately afterward, refer myself to rule #2 of happy relations - don't poke the bear.

Top Bottom