What's new

Are you cool?

How frequently do you use menthol creams?

• Rarely (less than half the time)

Votes: 6 10.3%
  • Often (more than half the time)

Votes: 16 27.6%
  • Seasonally (more often in summer)

Votes: 19 32.8%
  • Part of my year-round rotation (50-50 split)

Votes: 1 1.7%
  • Never

Votes: 11 19.0%
  • This poll is dumb, just use whatever you like

Votes: 5 8.6%

• Total voters
I have only tried one mentol shave cream: Proraso Green, in a tube. Love the smell but have only used it once, probably because I don't care for the cooling effect - it just felt too cold for my liking, even if only temporary. I get that guys like to use menthol soaps and creams in warmer months, but I prefer clean, citrus for a summer scent, and woodsy, spicy scents for fall/winter - though I still use Sandalwood in the summer. I also use cologne-type and barber shop scents year-round. Just can't seem to get behind menthol.

So, where do you stand on menthol?

I think I might like a mildly mentolated citrus scent in the summer, so feel free to post any recommendation.

I'm not a big fan of strong menthol, like when it makes your eyes water, but I do like it in moderation. IMO, Santa Maria Novella is about perfect, with enough cooling to feel very refreshing, but never seems overpowering.

As soon as it gets warmer…

5564D568-0AE0-405A-9F72-F3A2EB147065.jpeg

8864E8B8-113D-4B77-9332-4F1EA0FB0FB2.jpeg

Attachments

• 093CEEA4-459A-4CCB-A924-0303A7F40177.jpeg
    093CEEA4-459A-4CCB-A924-0303A7F40177.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 2
I use unscented soaps and I'll add homemade menthol drops. I enjoy cool and refreshing, even cold but I don't want watering eyes. This way I can control how much cool I want. I usually won't feel the menthol in SMN but Stirling blows me away.

Last edited:
Love the smell but have only used it once, probably because I don't care for the cooling effect - it just felt too cold for my liking, even if only temporary.
This was exactly my experience. Same cream too. Tried once, gave to a friend. Simply not for me.

I love menthol. Aftershave. That’s where cooling belongs IMO. I will very rarely use an aftershave without menthol.

This was exactly my experience. Same cream too. Tried once, gave to a friend. Simply not for me.

I love menthol. Aftershave. That’s where cooling belongs IMO. I will very rarely use an aftershave without menthol.
Yep. Actually too cold for my liking. I was hoping to find something on the mild side, but really won't care if I ever use menthol again.

I use unscented soaps and I'll add homemade menthol drops. I enjoy cool and refreshing, even cold but I don't want watering eyes. This way I can control how much cool I want. I usually won't feel the menthol in SMN but Stirling blows me away.

Thank you. This sparked my interest. I was wandering if you can point me towards the homemade menthol drops how to. I don’t expect you to write it all out. Just wandering if there is a already made instructions some where.

I dissolve menthol crystals in alcohol and add a little glycerin. Stirling makes "Frost Drops" a menthol additive that works well.
Not 100% sure, but I think that vapers use the same menthol Crystal's dissolved in VG to make menthol vape juice. No alcohol, though.

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
With hot weather Proraso The Ever-Green has become my main weapon of choice. Particularly enjoyable to use the trio: pre shave cream, cream (or soap) and splash.

Here below, a tribute to some Old School Barber Shops around the world that proudly use Proraso!

20220601_163724.jpg

20220601_164023.jpg

20220601_161916.jpg

20220601_164545.jpg

Nope, not interest in smearing Bengay on my face even on hottest summer days. No competition for mentholated products from this guy. Enjoy the cool shaves.

I have only tried one mentol shave cream: Proraso Green, in a tube. Love the smell but have only used it once, probably because I don't care for the cooling effect - it just felt too cold for my liking, even if only temporary. I get that guys like to use menthol soaps and creams in warmer months, but I prefer clean, citrus for a summer scent, and woodsy, spicy scents for fall/winter - though I still use Sandalwood in the summer. I also use cologne-type and barber shop scents year-round. Just can't seem to get behind menthol.

So, where do you stand on menthol?

I think I might like a mildly mentolated citrus scent in the summer, so feel free to post any recommendation.
I like a light menthol, just enough for the cooling sensation. The strong menthol feels like a chemical burn. Proraso green soap is the only mentholated soap I have. I have a few aftershaves with menthol.

Love menthol in shaving soaps, creams, aftershave lotions and balms. All year round.

These are in regular rotation:

Palmolive Rinfrescante cream
LEA Menthol cream
Stirling Lemon Chill soap
Stirling Orange Chill soap
Cremo Cooling shave cream
Gillette SKIN Ultra Sensitive shaving cream (contains menthol, peppermint oil and wild mint leaf oil)
Nordic Shaving Co - Menthol & Pine
Fine Snake Bite soap
Ingrams shave cream
Proraso Menthol & Eucalyptus cream and soap.

Proraso Rinfrescante and Fine Snake Bite lotions
Men’s Master Professional Tea Tree and Menthol aftershave balm
Dapper Dan aftershave balm

A little bit is enjoyable, especially in an aftershave. In a cream or soap, either a little bit, or a scent that naturally cools, is fine with me.
Doc's Special Blend, by Soapy Science, has some wintergreen, some peppermint, and some spearmint among its scent notes. It produces a pleasant, barely-there cooling that I enjoy. Sometimes I don't really feel it until in lathering for the second pass. And of course the water feels cooler was in rinsing. I enjoy that in the summer, when the 'cold water' from the tap is at least lukewarm.

Top Bottom