What's new

Are The Ruger LCP Models Durable?

Peace of mind.....Okiestubble; just that thought every time you grab it now.....
I took a Max the other day, and then saw your picture.....now think even a 38 wheel is better.
Maybe that is why mouse 380s were considered backup....further decreasing the chance that you ever needed them. But now most carry it as main, esp in summer.
Just trade both in for something more reliable....

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
Peace of mind.....Okiestubble; just that thought every time you grab it now.....
I took a Max the other day, and then saw your picture.....now think even a 38 wheel is better.
Maybe that is why mouse 380s were considered backup....further decreasing the chance that you ever needed them. But now most carry it as main, esp in summer.
Just trade both in for something more reliable....

I already did. I bought the wife a Glock 42 a couple of weeks ago to replace the Max.

IMG_1523.jpg

It’s only 6 rounds, but it’s small enough that I know she will carry it on her person instead of in her purse. She can carry an extra mag in her pocket at work and aiwb with a Tulster holster with her blouse over the top. It’s not an easy job for the wife to find women’s slacks with front pockets that are deep enough to carry a small magazine. It seems most female pockets are just shallow slits and not really pockets.

Her Tulster holster and xtra mag will be in soon. Now that both Ruger’s are fixed, Ill probably sell them for what I can get.

I’ll just go back to my 43X in hot weather and maybe also carry the wife’s 43 when I’m in shorts and flip flops. But Fall weather is fast approaching and I need to find a shoulder holster for the vintage leather car coat I have from The Gap. :)

Last edited:
I already did. I bought the wife a Glock 42 a couple of weeks ago to replace the Max.

View attachment 1728445

It’s only 6 rounds, but it’s small enough that I know she will carry it on her person instead of in her purse. She can carry an extra mag in her pocket at work and aiwb with a Tulster holster with her blouse over the top. It’s not an easy job for the wife to find women’s slacks with front pockets that are deep enough to carry a small magazine. It seems most female pockets are just shallow slits and not really pockets.

Her Tulster holster and xtra mag will be in soon. Now that both Ruger’s are fixed, Ill probably sell them for what I can get.

I’ll just go back to my 43X in hot weather and maybe also carry the wife’s 43 when I’m in shorts and flip flops. But Fall weather is fast approaching and I need to find a shoulder holster for the vintage leather car coat I have from The Gap. :)
My, that looks like a familiar set up to me!:c1:

Amend2 makes some great, cheap, range mags. I haven't used them enough to carry them, but good for the first two boxes I've shot.

I put TFOs & a Vickers flat trigger on mine.

OkieStubble

My, that looks like a familiar set up to me!:c1:

Amend2 makes some great, cheap, range mags. I haven't used them enough to carry them, but good for the first two boxes I've shot.

I put TFOs & a Vickers flat trigger on mine.
How many rounds in the Amend2 do they hold?

OkieStubble

@Rob72 do you have a pic of your 42 set up?

This might sound crazy, but as myself and the wife get older, our eyes aren’t focusing as well as they used too. I like upgraded iron sights like TFO’s and Trijicon’s, but our eyes, are beginning to really appreciate the genius behind the un- admired under appreciated and actually despised by many , Glocks simple & plain OEM sights with the front dot and rear goalposts?

Call me crazy, but the genius simplicity of just quickly dropping the dot into the rear bucket and squeezing the trigger? Is really fast and plenty accurate in self defense and most pistol combat ranges.

Maybe not 25 yards and out, but 15 yards and in, I have a lot of respect for the misunderstood and taken for granted Glock OEM sights. :)

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Some wags have called it "Light Cheap Pistol," lol. Economy shouldn't be a factor in choosing an SD, however.

What did John Dillinger say? "Never trust a woman or an automatic pistol?" In light of his fate ... he wasn't wrong!

AA

OkieStubble

Some wags have called it "Light Cheap Pistol," lol. Economy shouldn't be a factor in choosing an SD, however.

What did John Dillinger say? "Never trust a woman or an automatic pistol?" In light of his fate ... he wasn't wrong!

AA

Words of Wisdom! :)

OkieStubble

FedEx delivered my two LCP's to the door today:

IMG_1526.jpeg

First Observations:

1. Ruger put slips of explanation in both boxes, thanking me for being a loyal Ruger customer. The slips show the frame was replaced on the LCP II and the entire upper receiver was replaced on the LCP Max. Nothing about why or what they found wrong. Ruger Techs fired 30 rounds of Federal .380 FMJ from each pistol with no stoppage’s from either.

LCP II Observation:

1. Definitely a new frame.
2. Is this a steel magazine release button? I think it is! :)

IMG_1531.jpeg

Who all has a LCP II? Does yours have a steel or polymer mag release? And what year did you purchase it?

LCP Max Observation:

1. Yep, new slide, barrel, guide rod, springs. But also a new trigger? The RMA came on email and said that all Ruger factory settings would be returned. However, I had Ruger fix a heavy break on the first trigger, which got rid of the weird; “tink” sound it made when pulled?

That ‘tink’ sound is back with the new trigger, but the trigger doesn’t feel as bad as the first trigger did when I purchased the Max. A range trip will verify if accuracy has changed.

@nortac , Is this hole in the rear of the slide on the slide cuts on your Max? It goes all the way thru the slide to the other side. For the life of me, I didn’t notice this in the first 4 slides I had?

IMG_1532.jpeg

IMG_1533.jpeg

Last edited:
I'll try to get a pic up in the near future- house with grandchildren, at the moment.

The Amend 2 mags are only 6 round, but you can drop in the Mag-guts +1 package, and you're pretty much at OEM cost but with a 7 round mag. I like them & don't foresee any problems. Not a high-capacity mag, no heavy spring pressure needed, so concerns of bulging or not feeding look to be zero.

$11.99 at MagShak, I believe I got a few of mine for $9.99 on some special, but haven't looked recently.

OkieStubble

I'll try to get a pic up in the near future- house with grandchildren, at the moment.

The Amend 2 mags are only 6 round, but you can drop in the Mag-guts +1 package, and you're pretty much at OEM cost but with a 7 round mag. I like them & don't foresee any problems. Not a high-capacity mag, no heavy spring pressure needed, so concerns of bulging or not feeding look to be zero.

$11.99 at MagShak, I believe I got a few of mine for $9.99 on some special, but haven't looked recently.

So Magguts won't work with OEM Glock mag?

jar_

Too Fugly For Free.
FedEx delivered my two LCP's to the door today:

View attachment 1728791

First Observations:

1. Ruger put slips of explanation in both boxes, thanking me for being a loyal Ruger customer. The slips show the frame was replaced on the LCP II and the entire upper receiver was replaced on the LCP Max. Nothing about why or what they found wrong. Ruger Techs fired 30 rounds of Federal .380 FMJ from each pistol with no stoppage’s from either.

LCP II Observation:

1. Definitely a new frame.
2. Is this a steel magazine release button? I think it is! :)

View attachment 1728799

Who all has a LCP II? Does yours have a steel or polymer mag release? And what year did you purchase it?

LCP Max Observation:

1. Yep, new slide, barrel, guide rod, springs. But also a new trigger? The RMA came on email and said that all Ruger factory settings would be returned. However, I had Ruger fix a heavy break on the first trigger, which got rid of the weird; “tink” sound it made when pulled?

That ‘tink’ sound is back with the new trigger, but the trigger doesn’t feel as bad as the first trigger did when I purchased the Max. A range trip will verify if accuracy has changed.

@nortac , Is this hole in the rear of the slide on the slide cuts on your Max? It goes all the way thru the slide to the other side. For the life of me, I didn’t notice this in the first 4 slides I had?

View attachment 1728805

View attachment 1728811
My LCP II 22 Lite Rack was made in 2022 and has a steel slide release and slide also has a hole in the same location as shown on your Max with a roll pin and schematics show it to be the firing pin retainer

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
FedEx delivered my two LCP's to the door today

LCP Max Observation:........

Yes, both of my LCP Max slides have the hole and roll pin.

OkieStubble

Yes, both of my LCP Max slides have the hole and roll pin.

Yeah, I just wasn’t paying much attention. I thought at first it was a roll pin for the extractor, but it’s the firing pin instead. Sure is ugly right there in the middle of the slide like that.

jar_

Too Fugly For Free.
Yeah, I just wasn’t paying much attention. I thought at first it was a roll pin for the extractor, but it’s the firing pin instead. Sure is ugly right there in the middle of the slide like that.
The Extractor pin is near the mid-point of the extractor and from the top.

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
Both MCARBO and Galloway make replacement guide rods and extra strength recoil springs (used with the smaller OEM spring) to tame recoil some. Also hammer spring kits and replacement triggers. I had put the Galloway trigger, guide rod and recoil spring in my Max, but replaced the OEM parts before sending it back to Ruger. I have yet to reinstall the aftermarket parts. While I had the Galloway trigger installed, the safety lever in the face of the trigger fell out unbeknownst to me while shooting it at the range. I contacted Galloway and they promptly sent out a replacement safety lever and roll pin. I have yet to reinstall those in the trigger. I'm strongly considering getting the MCARBO trigger instead, but that is a consideration for another day.

So this is my experience with the Ruger LCP models. The original LCP pistols were good. The second generation of these pistols, the current Ruger LCP is good. The Ruger LCP II well...

Had two from the NC plant that failed. One went back for service and still wasn't right. The LCP Max I had consistently shot low. Around 6 inches low.

I think though these pistols bear the same name LCP they are in fact different designs. Especially around the important parts, the trigger, sear, and internal safeties. Sadly I think the LCP II and LCP Max simply are not good enough.

I carry and own 2 of the second generation LCP pistols. Trust them. They are not range guns though. Maybe 500 rounds per year on them. Only recoil springs and rods have been replaced. They work.

Top Bottom