What's new

Are natural hair brushes days NUMBERED?

ANOTHER benefit synthetics have over naturals, specifically badger, is the LOW price point.

Let’s face it - you only NEED one brush. The rest are relegated to “wants and desires.”

In the past few months alone, I’ve purchased over SEVEN brushes, only TWO of which are natural, and those are inexpensive boars.

Why? Certainly not need. Again, wants, desires, and…, aesthetics. 😍

Both WCS and Yaqui had some LOVELY synthetics for only an average price of $15. I highly doubt I would have acquired so many additional brushes had they been priced like my OLDEST brush, a Vulfix super badger I got for $125.

BTW, thanks for participating, gents! Can’t believe this simple thread I posted just Friday night has already gotten 100 responses! 😳☺️👏🏼👏🏼👏🏼💈

This discussion forced me to do what we on B&B do whenever in doubt. Hopefully I’ll have my new Rudy Vey brush with a Shavemac 2 band silvertip knot in a week or less.
1627860278434.jpeg

BradWorld

Dances with Wolfs
I have owned dozens of synths. I love them. The durability, convenience, ease of drying, the face feel, low maintenance, the way they lather, and the way they hold water. Love it all. I prefer them 100% for daily usage. And i use them 90% of the time. However, in terms of luxury and ultimate face feel, nothing beats a high end badger. When I want the best shave experience, and have the need to pamper myself, and want to take a long luxurious shave, I grab a badger. And frankly, I never knew how amazing a badger brush could truly be until I got a Paladin. That really raised the bar for me.

Certainly not need. Again, wants, desires, and…, aesthetics. 😍
Spot on!

I’d never have guessed I’d have more than one brush, when I started this whole DE shaving thing. Now, the only things I see myself roatating are brushes and soaps.

I’m hugely influenced by aesthetics, I must say. I would never buy a brush I didn’t like the looks of, irrespective of performance. I have a “problem” with a lot of the Yaqi handles, for instance - I know there’s much love for them here; but taste is a most personal thing.

Of all the chasms in this hobby, the desire to prove or disprove synthetics over naturals (or vice versa) is one of the most interesting ones.

Myself, I would pick natural (wooden) handles over any synthetic ones... but then, there’s Paladin!

Last edited:
This discussion forced me to do what we on B&B do whenever in doubt. Hopefully I’ll have my new Rudy Vey brush with a Shavemac 2 band silvertip knot in a week or less.
View attachment 1305311
Oh, that is a nice looking brush. That handle is made by Rudy Vey so it is going to be exceptionally turned and feel great in your hand. I have two Shavemac knots and they are great.
If I could offer some advice: just enjoy your beautiful new brush. It doesn’t have to be better than your best Boar, Synthetic, or Badger brushes…it just has to make you happy and create nice lather.

I have Badger brushes that I love! They feel so great on my face, they just make me smile.
But, wait, I also have a few Boar brushes that are so soft and fun to use, they just make me shave with a silly grin.
But wait there’s more…I also own a few Synthetic brushes that make ridiculously good lather and they make me happy, too.

My secret is that I never compare different types of brushes.
I tried some Badger brushes and kept the ones that make me joyful. I tried Boar brushes and kept the ones that do the same. I also tried a bunch of Synthetic brushes and kept the ones that I love to use.

There are great brushes of all types out there just find and use the ones that bring you success and happiness.

A well broken in boar is just the bees knees for me. Don’t imagine they will be going away anytime soon.
I have always defended boars when people say that they are cheap. They work very well for what I like and I do have quite a few mid-level and high end badgers as well. They all have a place in my shave den except for the one WSP "Silvertip" synthetic that I own and its place is in its box with my toiletry supplies. Someday I will have to make a real effort to find someone to give it to as I have trouble throwing things away.

On the synthetics are lower priced than badgers issue, I was looking for a knot for an old EverReady 200T that I'm reknotting, and noticed Maggard's has a new line of synthetics that a colored like a Silvertip Badger that is priced above their Silvertip Badgers. They refer to it as a new and better generation knot. Lower pricing may not last.

The G5? They’re quite expensive for a synth knot. Especially at Maggard’s
On the synthetics are lower priced than badgers issue, I was looking for a knot for an old EverReady 200T that I'm reknotting, and noticed Maggard's has a new line of synthetics that a colored like a Silvertip Badger that is priced above their Silvertip Badgers. They refer to it as a new and better generation knot. Lower pricing may not last.

I think Badger brushes will become less common in Britain as the anti-cruelty brigade will be onto it soon, they already guilt trip us about meat so killing an animal just for its bristles will be fairly big once they get wind that China breed badgers just for brushes. I like to think they are all made from roadkill but of course, they aren't
Pigs are actually eaten, so not such a problem, except for vegetarians who will have issues with it.

The never ending debate...

If there is any innovation it will come on synthetic brushes. I think boar brushes and badger ones are already at top level.

I don't think that the natural brushes will die as there is a demand.

The never ending debate...

If there is any innovation it will come on synthetic brushes. I think boar brushes and badger ones are already at top level.

I don't think that the natural brushes will die as there is a demand.

Growing up, my dad always wanted a badger, but you couldn’t buy on in the stores. After graduating from college, I found a barber who would order one, do I bought dad one for Christmas. You’d thought he was in heaven.

I’m sure that was a reason why I was tired of the Everready boar and like badgers. They are what synthetics strive to be and they’re already there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Recently purchased a bunch of synthetic knot brushes from various vendors, and…, NO complaints! 😳

In fact, I’m pleasantly surprised and more than satisfied! ☺

I once thought natural, especially BADGER, bristles were the “top of the line,” but after trying out these synthetics, I dunno. 🤔

I mean, with synthetics, you get exceptional performance, a variety of styles, at half, even a third the price of a similarly performing natural?

Its a “no brainer” for me, gents.

Should natural hair brush makers be concerned?
No, not at all. As long as I can get a well performing badger for 3,60 euro shipped, I do not see the end of natural hair :) But to be on the safe side, I took 3. Just in case you are right ;-)

JCinPA

The Lather Maestro
Wow! After a years-long hiatus, when I thought synthetics were just a novelty, I finally bought one on a lark. A Stirling I added to a software order. Just Wow! Love it.

I certainly do not have any animal hair snobbery or problem with synths, I just like what works. That said, my favorite brush is still a well-broken in badger. My old B&B Anniversary is my single favorite brush. I like badgers, too. Do I think the animal brushes are in danger? Nope, it's just that there are now three equally viable choices rather than two. That's all, just more competition, nobody is "in danger" IMO.

No, the natural brush’s day is not over. I have yet to find a synthetic which matches my Omega Boar, Vie Long Horsehair, any of my Simpson’s Badgers or even my VDH boar brushes in performance and “feel”. There is also the issue of using more “plastic” than necessary.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Top Bottom