What's new

The evolution of synthetic hair in shaving brushes

The Muhle is my favorite as well. I would also agree that the Shavemac comes in second. I've got a 21mm and 23mm Muhle and a 25mm (XL) on the way. It blows my mind how much less lather is needed with a synthetic compared to natural hair.
And how much faster the process is!

I surely love my RV STF brushes. However, it is surprising to note another brush that I like, though not as much. That is a Yaqi 30mm Monster with a barber pole handle. It is soft and dense, and I love that big knot ad big handle. I can get a grip on it. The brush will really load a lot of soap, too. I used it this morning with some B&M Taiga Omnibus base shaving soap. I had a huge amount of lather with which to deal. Great fun!

state of the Art is now G5C/D and after trying these it is difficult to use anything else. They are better than anything else in every way. Just expensive compared to other synthetics.
Had no idea this was a thing. Are there any brush makers that use this or is it mainly for those building their own?

state of the Art is now G5C/D and after trying these it is difficult to use anything else. They are better than anything else in every way. Just expensive compared to other synthetics.
Though I've never actually used any of the APShaveCo G5 knots I followed them very closely upon release but there were too many reviews where people talked about them having way too much backbone and found them very springy. This was due to the overall height of the knots being much shorter than previous knots that Andrew sold but sales do show they do sell fairly well though...

I would put the Muhle STF XL and Wald A1 knots as the state of the art knots in the industry now as far as synthetics are concerned!!
Had no idea this was a thing. Are there any brush makers that use this or is it mainly for those building their own?
You can buy just the knot or have it set in a brush handle over at APShaveCo as well as a few handle makers on Etsy but you have to do some work finding the ones that do or don't...

e of the Art is now G5C/D and after trying these it is difficult to use anything else. They are better than anything else in every way. Just expensive compared to other synthetics.

I agree the G5C is a super nice brush. One of my favorites. BUT...... as Muzichead discussed above, the Muhle STF and Wald brushes are are another level. BTW , what is a G5D?

Top Bottom