What's new

On the perception of new brush odor (smell)

Also, *** is wrong with a synthetic brush? It's not like we're tossing it after the first shave. AND the advancements in the fibres has been amazing...I LOVE my synths and nothing has to die for it. So please take your concerns for "natural" materials which usually mean something has to be "harvested" for something not that important. I understand that "Badger fat" has some use in cosmetics but honestly haven't we moved past this? So whereas I "get" your longing for "traditional" shaving accoutrements I have to say "Lets move along...shall we"? Now boar is an entirely different situation...I love bacon. I don't eat badger.

Also, *** is wrong with a synthetic brush? It's not like we're tossing it after the first shave. AND the advancements in the fibres has been amazing...I LOVE my synths and nothing has to die for it. So please take your concerns for "natural" materials which usually mean something has to be "harvested" for something not that important. I understand that "Badger fat" has some use in cosmetics but honestly haven't we moved past this? So whereas I "get" your longing for "traditional" shaving accoutrements I have to say "Lets move along...shall we"? Now boar is an entirely different situation...I love bacon. I don't eat badger.
I LOVE my synths and nothing has to die for it.

Well not lately. Synths are manufactured from petroleum. Over the last century and a half, humans have learned how to make synthetic polymers, sometimes using natural substances like cellulose, but more often using the plentiful carbon atoms provided by petroleum and other fossil fuels. Synthetic polymers are made up of long chains of atoms, arranged in repeating units, often much longer than those found in nature. It is the length of these chains and the patterns in which they are arrayed that make polymers strong, lightweight, and flexible. In other words, it’s what makes them so plastic. Dinosaur juice.🦕

Now boar is an entirely different situation...I love bacon. I don't eat badger.

I have a horse hair brush. I was enjoying and would’ve finished the horse meat on my plate. At Expo 67. My buddy who wanted to try it, started gagging trying to swallow it. I started to gag watching him. Obviously we had to leave. We went to a Dominion Stores Pavilion and had a couple of hot dogs. North American food.

A Horse Hair brush with a wooden handle. The only true environmentally friendly brush. Harvested from a live happy animal. The tree killed, renewable. The best brush to use is the one that gives you the most comfort. My horse hair brush has an aluminum handle. Our wants, needs, and habits continue to trample the natural environment.

A Fixed Four. Your grandpa’s shaving kit. Environmentally friendly.

I don't understand people's concern about the smell of badger funko on their brushes. Just wash it a few times and the smell is gone.
worrisome would be if the smell was eternal.

Gents, thank you for all your input, whatever point of view, it is interesting to learn of peoples' true feelings on this sensitive matter.
__ as for Funk: Perhaps I just never got my hands on a truly ugly brush yet. What some of you describe sounds revolting... Perhaps I will get to the point after all one day where I give up on a new brush ...
__ as for Synthetic hair brushes: I can't offer much in terms of rational argument against them, it's all about emotion.
To me, synthetic hair shaving brushes are in the same league as Vietnamese "bubble tea", and Japanese "hello Kitty" gadgets. They just make me think of cheap imitation plastic junk -- why bother when you can get the real thing ...
__ as for saving the animals: sorry to folks who are passionate in such regards, but I am not in your league. I will happily eat both pig and badger (if freshly killed), and use their hair for shaving. (in fact, many badgers just go to waste on the roadside anyway, without causing much alarm, how pathetic is that). Same goes for Labrador dogs (any dog), though I suspect that cultural predilections where I live could easily get one into more trouble for engaging with dogs this way than I am prepared to endure for a good meal, or a good shave ...
__ I do conclude from the discussion so far, that I am not alone when indulging in the animal odor of a real animal based shaving brush. That dimension of shaving aesthetics is not one I have openly discussed before in such detail with fellow shaving nurds. I am happy we got out of the closet, and look forward to further and more consciensously explore this subtle aspect of shaving ...

Top Bottom