What's new

On the perception of new brush odor (smell)

The odor of new badger and in particular boar brushes seems a commonplace topic. People will say a new brush (particularly boars) smells "funky", or worse, and that this is a problem that needs to be dealt with, by washing the brush in a variety of chemicals before use, or by avoiding "natural" bristle in favor of bleached or colored bristle. Or, by avoiding boar brushes all together in favor of synthetic ones.
These are views for which I have neither much appreciation nor sympathy. Hence I invite for a discussion of this important topic, hoping that it may help shavedom move beyond such faulty perceptions ;)
First of all, I do recognize that new boars and badgers have an odor, all the more when wet. However, I do not think this is a strong odor; neither is it a particularly offensive odor; and most importantly it really is a minor thing which is overcome with regular use. after 3 or 4 normal shaves odor is gone, and the brush mostly just smells like shaving soap. Whatever animal odor is left, is an added bonus, as I shall expand on shortly.
In fact, as an aside, I think the whole "breaking in" ordeal with boars is very similar: hairs will start to split as soon as you start normal use of the brush, and you will have a very nice boar brush already after having used it a handful of shaves, although it keeps improving with use. Point here, there is no need for a major "breaking in" operation on a new boar brush, just as there is no need for major "de-funking" operations to circumvent the odor of a new brush.
__ A final, more fundamental point on the odor of new boars and badgers:
A bottom line for me, as far as traditional wet-shaving goes, is my fascination with shaving brushes as works of traditional craftsmanship based on "natural" materials . A brush to me, a real traditional shaving brush that is, indeed should be made with some kind of animal hair.
I do not own a single shaving brush made with synthetic hair. Synthetics have no appeal to me whatsoever, and I doubt that will ever change.
The world does not need more plastic.
A new shaving brush indeed should have an odor, it should smell "funky" or whatever people call it, like a wet dog, it should smell like what it is, an animal product. To my mind that's an important beauty of it -- it's just like a new real leather coat should smell like real leather, and the real leather seats in an expensive new high-end brand car should indeed smell like leather. I like the funky odor of new boars and badgers, it's proof I got my money's worth, it's suggestive of a certain measure of class and style, in short it reminds me that I am performing real traditional wet shaving.
So please, stop trash-talking the odor of new boars and badgers, stop misleading newcomers into thinking that natural shaving brushes smell offensive. Instead, promote tradition, promote style, and save the world from more plastic (synthetic hair shaving brushes).
That's all.
Thanks. :badger:
:straight::a21::a24:

Last edited:
The odor of new badger and in particular boar brushes seems a commonplace topic. People will say a new brush (particularly boars) smells "funky", or worse, and that this is a problem that needs to be dealt with, by washing the brush in a variety of chemicals before use, or by avoiding "natural" bristle in favor of bleached or colored bristle. Or, by avoiding boar brushes all together in favor of synthetic ones.
These are views for which I have neither much appreciation nor sympathy. Hence I invite for a discussion of this important topic, hoping that it may help shavedom move beyond such faulty perceptions ;)
First of all, I do recognize that new boars and badgers have an odor, all the more when wet. However, I do not think this is a strong odor; neither is it a particularly offensive odor; and most importantly it really is a minor thing which is overcome with regular use. after 3 or 4 normal shaves odor is gone, and the brush mostly just smells like shaving soap. Whatever animal odor is left, is an added bonus, as I shall expand on shortly.
In fact, as an aside, I think the whole "breaking in" ordeal with boars is very similar: hairs will start to split as soon as you start normal use of the brush, and you will have a very nice boar brush already after having used it a handful of shaves, although it keeps improving with use. Point here, there is no need for a major "breaking in" operation on a new boar brush, just as there is no need for major "de-funking" operations to circumvent the odor of a new brush.
A bottom line for me, as far as traditional wet-shaving goes, is my fascination with shaving brushes as works of traditional craftsmanship based on "natural" materials . A brush to me, a real traditional shaving brush that is, indeed should be made with some kind of animal hair.
I do not own a single shaving brush made with synthetic hair. Synthetics have no appeal to me whatsoever, and I doubt that will ever change.
A new shaving brush indeed should have an odor, it should smell "funky" or whatever people call it, like a wet dog, it should smell like what it is, an animal product. To my mind that's an important beauty of it -- it's just like a new real leather coat should smell like real leather, and the real leather seats in an expensive new high-end brand car should indeed smell like leather. I like the funky odor of new boars and badgers, it's proof I got my money's worth, it's suggestive of a certain measure of class and style, in short it reminds me that I am performing real traditional wet shaving.
So please, stop trash-talking the odor of new boars and badgers, stop misleading newcomers into thinking that natural shaving brushes smell offensive. Instead, promote tradition, promote style, and save the world from more plastic (synthetic hair shaving brushes).
That's all.

Well, your entitled to your opinion, but if the wet dog smell was required for a brush I could save a lot of money by lathering up my Labrador and rubbing him on my face.

Rudy Vey

Shaving baby skin and turkey necks
I only had one smelly, horribly stinky is maybe the better term, badger brush. It took a good ten lathers in hand to get rid of it. If you ever smelled a swine fattening farm, you know what I mean. Nasty. But, this is the only badger I ever had that smelled.
And I have used thousand or more badger knots in my brushes, and have developed the habit to sniff on them. Never had I one that smelled. I know they are all dry, but my stinky brush smelled already when I unpacked it. Most of the big brush companies using hair that comes from a cleaning/sorting facility (the German term is Haarzurichter, and i could not find any sense making translation). So most of these hairs are cleaned and sanitized and do not smell, or at least do not smell for my nose.

That's all.
I don't bother with "breaking in" my boars, and even relish the enhanced exfoliative powers of a brand new boar whose hair tips have not begun to split.

And I also believe that the smell of a new boar is not that strong and is nothing to be concerned with - and my sense of smell is very strong.

Yes, let us not discourage new shavers from some of the best tools in traditional shaving!

There is nothing to fear from a new Omega 48, and no special labours required. Normal use will suffice from the start.

And I have used thousand or more badger knots in my brushes, and have developed the habit to sniff on them.
Pardon me Rudy, but while reading your post all I could imagine was you sitting down at your work bench with a just delivered box of new brush knots from Shavemac. You reach for a knife, cut open the box and deeply inhale within...and a smile creeps across your face! ;)

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
;)
First of all, I do recognize that new boars and badgers have an odor, all the more when wet. However, I do not think this is a strong odor; neither is it a particularly offensive odor; and most importantly it really is a minor thing which is overcome with regular use. after 3 or 4 normal shaves odor is gone, and the brush mostly just smells like shaving soap.
Jens, I recognize and appreciate your point of view on stinky brushes, but unfortunately cannot deem them required for the rest of the world. I have an Omega boar that made me want to gag for weeks. I did the usual vinegar bath and left it overnight loaded with fragrant soap - but it resisted giving up the stink for a long time. My collection of SOC boars and a badger, on the other hand, had no stink whatsoever. While I appreciate that you could be mildly offended by this premature removal of animal smell, I found it simply delightful and regarded it with great admiration.
My SOC boars did take about 6 weeks to break in. I used them during that time with no ill effects, but some brushes break in faster than others.

One of the things I love about B&B is that we are all welcome to our opinions and encouraged to share them. We are also welcome to share them with heartfelt sincerity and great attention to detail, as you have done so brilliantly here. But we are also welcome to allow you to enjoy your odoriferous proclivities without joining in. So I wish you the best, but you can enjoy your stinky brushes without my participation.

At present, I own about forty boar or badger brushes (plus a dozen or so synthetics) and neither did I find one that had a truly offensive smell among those, nor among any of the brushes that I owned before.

I don’t deny that some brush producers may ship smelly brushes, but I have never had an issue with one from the sources that I bought my brushes from.

As far as quality shaving brushes are concerned, I therefore have come to the conclusion that the problem with smelly brushes from quality sources greatly exaggerated (or that I have 1. superior brush washing 🧼 🫧 skills or 2. a deficient sense of smell 🤧).

B.

Last edited:
I'll gladly use a synthetic knot once they evolve to the point of having some backbone. Till then, it's boar or badger for me, smelly or otherwise.

I'm all for plastic brush handles when they're done well. I don't like having to baby my gear. If I can't drop a brush in hot water without worrying that the handle is going to crack or the glue is going to disintegrate, it's not for me.

Some bbrushmakers (or perhaps it is the knotmaker) do a decent job of cleaning them before they ship to you.

A badger knot that has been bleached with hydrogen peroxide to produce gel tips will have little odor as the hydrogen peroxide will kill most odors.

If you purchase an inexpensive brush, do not expect the manufacturer to do a great job of cleaning.

I keep a tub of TOBS Sandalwood on hand specifically for defunking brushes. I do not like the performance of the soap, so I do not use it for shaving. However, the strong aroma of the scent is great for covering up natural animal smells.

As for those of you who can use a new boar brush with no break-in, I am envious of you. My face is so sensitive that I cannot tolerate the smallest amount of scrub, scritch or prickliness in a brush. Once the tips of the brush are split, however, it feels great on the face.

Last edited:
I have several synthetic brushes and they all work just fine. I also have several boar brushes which also work just fine and didn't have any noticeable odours at all. Two/three shaves in...they smelled like soap. I like the fact I can have good brushes without having to resort to badger knots which is simply a personal choice.

I have several synthetic brushes and they all work just fine. I also have several boar brushes which also work just fine and didn't have any noticeable odours at all. Two/three shaves in...they smelled like soap. I like the fact I can have good brushes without having to resort to badger knots which is simply a personal choice.
"resort to badger knots"???

That is certainly your choice. However, a recent post by someone from China indicates that Asian badgers are now being raised on farms and harvested for their fur and other valuable products such as their fat, which is used in high-end cosmetics. This is no different than pigs being raised for their meat on pig farms and boar hair and pig skin being harvested.

If you want to have "cruelty free" brushes, either use horse hair brushes or synthetics. Horse hair is harvested from live animals during normal grooming routine, so horses are not harmed during the process.

I don’t mind a bit of funk and I never prepare my boar brushes before first use aside from a quick palm lather to remove loose hairs. That being said one unbleached Zenith specimen had an unbearable stench especially when wet. It went into the bin after less then ten shaves as the funk never subsided.

I don’t mind a bit of funk and I never prepare my boar brushes before first use aside from a quick palm lather to remove loose hairs. That being said one unbleached Zenith specimen had an unbearable stench especially when wet. It went into the bin after less then ten shaves as the funk never subsided.
Zenith specimen had an unbearable stench especially when wet. It went into the bin after less then ten shaves as the funk never subsided
I’ve never read of anyone throwing out a brush because of odour. Congratulations. Zenith boars are my favourite. I have two, neither had a strong scent, which I totally removed before use. I have sensitive skin. Breaking in my first boars introduced me to brush burn. I do not use my face to break in brushes anymore. The worst smelling brush I have had to deal with was a Zenith horse. It took three or four times as long to remove the stink, not like boar at all, putrid. Preference wise I prefer the scent of a fine soap without any animal fragrant notes, in my shave. I agree with you on animal hair used for shaving. Synthetics are not a favourite of mine either.

I keep a couple tubs of cream specifically for repeated lathering, drying, and rinsing any new-to-me brush with natural fibers. They are scents I enjoy but probably not enough to restock.

So far, “wet dog” has been the worst I have encountered, and took a good number of cycles to tame. Some of the stories I’ve read, though…

I’ve never read of anyone throwing out a brush because of odour. Congratulations. Zenith boars are my favourite. I have two, neither had a strong scent, which I totally removed before use. I have sensitive skin. Breaking in my first boars introduced me to brush burn. I do not use my face to break in brushes anymore. The worst smelling brush I have had to deal with was a Zenith horse. It took three or four times as long to remove the stink, not like boar at all, putrid. Preference wise I prefer the scent of a fine soap without any animal fragrant notes, in my shave. I agree with you on animal hair used for shaving. Synthetics are not a favourite of mine either.
The bleached one was totally normal as were all my other Omegas and Semogues to date.

My one and only brush burn came from a Simpsons S1 Pure whilst face lathering but I learned to handle it as well.

I keep a couple tubs of cream specifically for repeated lathering, drying, and rinsing any new-to-me brush with natural fibers. They are scents I enjoy but probably not enough to restock.

So far, “wet dog” has been the worst I have encountered, and took a good number of cycles to tame. Some of the stories I’ve read, though…

I have 2 omega boars, a 10048 and the proraso pro, and both had a very powerful wet dog smell. It would overpower the soap. Considering I probably paid more for the soap than the brush, I personally understand why people try to defunk them. Myself included.

Now, as far as the funk being a part of heritage of shaving brushes, that much is probably true and I can respect that, but if we take into consideration the bathing habits of history also, I'm sure the funk of a brush didn't smell as bad as the person using it either. Just saying

"resort to badger knots"???

That is certainly your choice. However, a recent post by someone from China indicates that Asian badgers are now being raised on farms and harvested for their fur and other valuable products such as their fat, which is used in high-end cosmetics. This is no different than pigs being raised for their meat on pig farms and boar hair and pig skin being harvested.

If you want to have "cruelty free" brushes, either use horse hair brushes or synthetics. Horse hair is harvested from live animals during normal grooming routine, so horses are not harmed during the process.
Yeah ok. Do you really think that these "farms" are geared towards the animals well-being? Has that particular OP been to any of these "farms"? We all want to see the best in everyone else...however, you take umbrage with me simply because I don't agree. "Wet Markets"? Is there anything more disgusting? And, BTW thanks for your stand on Badger cruelty...consider the country. Oh yeah. Just because they'r being raised for their "fat" doesn't mean they aren't being treated humanely. ALL animal research results in terrible treatment. PERIOD. That's why I choose synths and also I'm just as bad because I love pork products...but they have been Harvested for centuries.. Not saying that's right but I do love bacon..
Besides...I do not criticize you for any shaving decision...but please don't place your decisions above any other living creature.

Yeah ok. Do you really think that these "farms" are geared towards the animals well-being? Has that particular OP been to any of these "farms"? We all want to see the best in everyone else...however, you take umbrage with me simply because I don't agree. "Wet Markets"? Is there anything more disgusting? And, BTW thanks for your stand on Badger cruelty...consider the country. Oh yeah. Just because they'r being raised for their "fat" doesn't mean they aren't being treated humanely. ALL animal research results in terrible treatment. PERIOD. That's why I choose synths and also I'm just as bad because I love pork products...but they have been Harvested for centuries.. Not saying that's right but I do love bacon..
Besides...I do not criticize you for any shaving decision...but please don't place your decisions above any other living creature.
I do love bacon..
+1 on the bacon 🐖

Top Bottom