What's new

Are natural hair brushes days NUMBERED?

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
Good boar is key. I think my father wanted to find a badger, which was hard to do in the day, because Everready brushes were OK, but not impressive.

I have a Semogue 830 boar and it is a very nice brush. They always do look ratty though. The hair is always splayed out in clumps no matter what I do.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I'm an Omega fan, I believe (but don't know why) Omega produces a better boar brush than Semogue.
But Semogue has a lock on the horse hair market IMHO

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
Good boar is key. I think my father wanted to find a badger, which was hard to do in the day, because Everready brushes were OK, but not impressive.

I have a Semogue 830 boar and it is a very nice brush. They always do look ratty though. The hair is always splayed out in clumps no matter what I do.

I think I am definitely a smaller brush type guy. I like smaller knots. The best boar I have enjoyed over the years and kept has been the Omega 10029. They call it the ‘Baby Pro’?

Perfect size knot for me and the soft boar definitely feels great on my face on the very first lather. If only I could figure out how to keep the lather on the brush from dissipating and thinning out while it waits for my second pass.

Reactions: Anu

JCinPA

The Lather Maestro
@luvmysuper Phil, we've conversed about this. I don't know why, but out of all my brushes, the B&B Anniversary brush is my favorite, hands down, and probably gets used about every other day. The other half dozen brushes I get take care of the other 50% of my shaves. I know you are a fan, too.

I don't remember the pricing on those, regardless they punched waaaay above their price point, IMO. You're hooked in here pretty good, do you think we could talk the owners into, if not a series of them, just one more, "Back by popular demand" edition of that brush? Everything about it was perfect, the size, the knot quality, the weight and balance in the hand and while working on the face. It's a durable little brush, but I'd love to get another one. When you have about 8 brushes and a single brush gets 50% of your daily shaves, that's a great brush. While YMMV, my recollection is these were very highly praised at the time.

I think I am definitely a smaller brush type guy. I like smaller knots. The best boar I have enjoyed over the years and kept has been the Omega 10029. They call it the ‘Baby Pro’?

Perfect size knot for me and the soft boar definitely feels great on my face on the very first lather. If only I could figure out how to keep the lather on the brush from dissipating and thinning out while it waits for my second pass.

I’ll have to track that down. I bought the Rudy Vey group buy last year with a Shavemac D01 knit. I didn’t think I’d be impressed with the short, stiff knot, but it’s not so stiff and works a treat. It has become my daily driver.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
@luvmysuper Phil, we've conversed about this. I don't know why, but out of all my brushes, the B&B Anniversary brush is my favorite, hands down, and probably gets used about every other day. The other half dozen brushes I get take care of the other 50% of my shaves. I know you are a fan, too.

I don't remember the pricing on those, regardless they punched waaaay above their price point, IMO. You're hooked in here pretty good, do you think we could talk the owners into, if not a series of them, just one more, "Back by popular demand" edition of that brush? Everything about it was perfect, the size, the knot quality, the weight and balance in the hand and while working on the face. It's a durable little brush, but I'd love to get another one. When you have about 8 brushes and a single brush gets 50% of your daily shaves, that's a great brush. While YMMV, my recollection is these were very highly praised at the time.
I love that brush.
I think there are major hurdles in the way though.
The funding out of pocket had to come from B&B, and a Vendor had to take the risk and the burden of providing a store front for orders and deal with packaging and shipping.
I'd love to see another one but I don't see those two hurdles easily overcome.
Perhaps an alternative would be an organized group buy of a suitable Omega knot in a handle prepared by one of our handle makers like Rudy Vey.
That's a lot of legwork and would require site authorization to even begin the tedious process.

I love that brush.
I think there are major hurdles in the way though.
The funding out of pocket had to come from B&B, and a Vendor had to take the risk and the burden of providing a store front for orders and deal with packaging and shipping.
I'd love to see another one but I don't see those two hurdles easily overcome.
Perhaps an alternative would be an organized group buy of a suitable Omega knot in a handle prepared by one of our handle makers like Rudy Vey.
That's a lot of legwork and would require site authorization to even begin the tedious process.
I’ve got three brushes made by Rudy, all outstanding. Rather than wait for a group buy that may not be possible, I suggest calling Rudy and telling him exactly what you want.

The only surprise that I have received from the three brushes is that they look better in hand than in the pictures.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
I’ve got three brushes made by Rudy, all outstanding. Rather than wait for a group buy that may not be possible, I suggest calling Rudy and telling him exactly what you want.

The only surprise that I have received from the three brushes is that they look better in hand than in the pictures.
A very very good option!

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
I love the feel of a good boar.
A few fairly recent purchases have included two different brands of boar/badger blend and I seem to want to use them a lot.
Good water and heat retention, fantastic "scrubbiness", but not lather hogs at all.
A boar/badger blend wasn't even on my radar until I learned of their existence when you posted this. NOW I find myself thinking of ways to slip one past the War Department! Thanks a LOT my friend...

I never blink an eye at anything my wife buys. It's credit in the bank!
thumbs-up_1f44d.png

I'm lucky. The OL is the one who started my on this trip.
She also keeps a eye out for shaving gear whenever she's in an antique shop.

I don’t think the whole “anti-plastics” argument, re: brushes, “holds water” (pun intended! 😉) unless, of course, you shy away from using plastics in your life ENTIRELY, which is practically IMPOSSIBLE in the 21st century. 🙄

A favorite synthetic brush whose plastic bristles are shedding could aways have its knot replaced, and a plastic handle could always be RECYCLED, so the environmental impact could, theoretically, be MINIMAL. 🤔🤓🌳

I don’t think the whole “anti-plastics” argument, re: brushes, “holds water” (pun intended! [emoji6]) unless, of course, you shy away from using plastics in your life ENTIRELY, which is practically IMPOSSIBLE in the 21st century. [emoji849]

A favorite synthetic brush whose plastic bristles are shedding could aways have its knot replaced, and a plastic handle could always be RECYCLED, so the environmental impact could, theoretically, be MINIMAL. [emoji848][emoji851][emoji269]

I think the objections are stating that plastics are not inherently better than natural materials for the environment or humanity. Take your choice.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
I don’t think the whole “anti-plastics” argument, re: brushes, “holds water” (pun intended! 😉) unless, of course, you shy away from using plastics in your life ENTIRELY, which is practically IMPOSSIBLE in the 21st century. 🙄

A favorite synthetic brush whose plastic bristles are shedding could aways have its knot replaced, and a plastic handle could always be RECYCLED, so the environmental impact could, theoretically, be MINIMAL. 🤔🤓🌳

I agree that it is possible to recycle that stuff. Unfortunately it isn't done. The majority of items placed in Recycle bins curbside go to the local landfill and not recycling.
I think the subject of plastics was less about people thinking it is such a shame to see plastic in a landfill and more about pointing out some blatant hypocrisy in a rabid you shouldn't use animal products kind of way.
The concept that animal byproducts which exist in a world that consumes vast quantities of meat shouldn't be used and just thrown away is odd.
I also find that most people I have personally known who get on that soap box generally have nice leather shoes, belts and use other products not generally associated with animal byproducts which are in a vast swath of stuff we use every single day and never even think about.
Some gelatin products, plastic shopping bags often use animal fat as a slip agent to help with keeping them from sticking together, animal based stearic acid is used in the fabrication of bicycle tires, fabric softener contains Dihydrogenated tallow dimethyl ammonium chloride, which comes from the cattle, sheep, and horse industry, unless you are buying vegan sugar, there's a good chance it was filtered through ash from animal bones.
There are other examples, but you get the idea.

Last edited:
I agree that it is possible to recycle that stuff. Unfortunately it isn't done. The majority of items placed in Recycle bins curbside go to the local landfill and not recycling.
I think the subject of plastics was less about people thinking it is such a shame to see plastic in a landfill and more about pointing out some blatant hypocrisy in a rabid you shouldn't use animal products kind of way.
The concept that animal byproducts which exist in a world that consumes vast quantities of meat shouldn't be used and just thrown away is odd.
I also find that most people I have personally known who get on that soap box generally have nice leather shoes, belts and use other products not generally associated with animal byproducts which are in a vast swath of stuff we use every single day and never even think about.
Some gelatin products, plastic shopping bags often use animal fat as a slip agent to help with keeping them from sticking together, animal based stearic acid is used in the fabrication of bicycle tires, fabric softener contains Dihydrogenated tallow dimethyl ammonium chloride, which comes from the cattle, sheep, and horse industry, unless you are buying vegan sugar, there's a good chance it was filtered through ash from animal bones.
There are other examples, but you get the idea.
I wonder if these same people realize that these very same animals, from badgers to cows to pigs, WOULDN'T even EXIST were it not for the fact that they are SPECIFICALLY bred for their END use. 🙄

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
I wonder if these same people realize that these very same animals, from badgers to cows to pigs, WOULDN'T even EXIST were it not for the fact that they are SPECIFICALLY bred for their END use. 🙄
In their present form, yes, possibly excepting badgers. I'm no badger genetics expert!

Top Bottom