What's new

Are All Open Combs the Same?

I have only shaved with two open comb razors. The first was a Merkur about a month ago, and then last night I tried an unmentionable (on B&B) brand. They both had a very similar feeling that is different than standard bar DE's. I can best describe it as feeling, or being more aware of, the blade more on your face. I guess this makes sence when you look at the design.

Do others have this feeling as well?

Are all open combs similar, or do they vary widely?

Do some use an open comb for certain situations but not others (more growth/less growth, first pass/second pass)?

I love open combs. I have shaved with an old type, new, new long tooth, 11C and 12C OC's. I get that the "blade on your face" feeling only with the old type. That's not a bad thing for me, however. If you don't like it, try another blade brand and see if it changes. I thought the 11C was too mild and sold it but now I'm using a 12C (same head) and love it. Maybe the razor weight makes a difference, but it is different from the 11C.

So ... they are different - but not radically.

I like the OC's because, as a class, they shave my upper lip better (closer with less pulling) than razor types. Can't explain it and YMMV. Enjoy your shaves! )

I have a '31 New OC that I love. This morning I used a new (to me) 12C with one of my top soaps (one of MBs) and one of my favourite brushes, and the shave was one of the worst I've had yet. No irritation, just lots of stubble even after 3 passes.

Maybe an angle issue, I don't know.

But no, they are not all the same from this experience.

Jim

Open combs are available in a wide variety from rather mild ( as the Merkur and recent Mühle OC's) to scaringly aggressive (Fatip, old (pre '09) Mühles R41&R89, and Joris; all with the same Fatip head). The Goodfella should be even milder than the Merkurs.

Sometimes I use them because I feel like it but I always use one when I take my goatee off once a year; OC's are great for cutting long whiskers because they don't clog up at all.

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
Short answer, different

It's a different model of razor. Sure, some might be similar but others can act differently. Just like a Gillette Tech is different to a Slant!

I have many, my favorite is the long tooth, new style gillette. I think others agree. I have a couple no name 3 piece comb razors. the one is heavy solid handle, pure nickel. This razor is the best comb, i ever used. its perfect, but then again, we all have diffirent faces. I find that I want to use two razors sometimes, for different areas of the face. This is why I was asking about merkur adjustables, earlier on a post.

I think that there is quite a range - the Gillette Senator is relatively mild whereas the old version of the Muhle R89 is pretty aggressive IMO.

I have many, my favorite is the long tooth, new style gillette. I think others agree. I have a couple no name 3 piece comb razors. the one is heavy solid handle, pure nickel. This razor is the best comb, i ever used. its perfect, but then again, we all have diffirent faces. I find that I want to use two razors sometimes, for different areas of the face. This is why I was asking about merkur adjustables, earlier on a post.

Hey I think I know this razor of which you are speaking!

They all shave the same to me ...... They eat me up and leave me with a Sunburned looking face. So I sent mine to a Lawyer in Alabama!
So no more open comb for me. :glare:

The Open Comb MicroMatic is like a wild stallion, once tamed it will be your loyal friend forever. But it is different from the Merkur 12C.

I just snagged an Open Comb Slant and will post on how it shaves, after I try it.

Top Bottom