What's new

April 2020 Gentlemanly Restraint Until Month End (GRUME)

Quick picture of today's setup

IMG_20200408_155156396~2.jpg
IMG_20200408_155119744~2.jpg

FYI, if you are purchasing an Oumo badger and you don't like intense backbone, go for a fan shape. This thing packs a punch with density but it's too dense/scrubby for my taste.

Still in, despite being tempted by pictures of the Timeless Ti .68 SB. I can resist this stuff. :001_smile

Preshave: Hot facecloth, Nuage shave oil
Brush: None
Soap: Canned foam
Razor: Rockwell 6S with R5
Blade: Boots German(=rebadged Personna?), 2
Postshave: Warm rinse, Nivea Sensitive Balm, Modern Brut

That blade worked just as well as an Astra SP for me. Using the same razor and setting for months is also paying off, as the problem areas are getting easier.

Still in. SOTD - 09 APR 2020

SOTD 04092020.jpg

Brush - Oumo 2020 LE brush
Lather - Stirling Noir sample (11)
Razor - Razorock Old Type
Blade - Dorco ST300 (3)
Post-shave - Mennen Skin Bracer

What a crackin shave. Enjoyed all of the products I used today. I did put too much water lathering and that resulted in a thinner lather. However, Stirling soap remains slick regardless. I do have trouble browsing the webs for stuff but I'm still sticking to the restraint. Hope everyone is having some great shaves!

Flintstone65

Imagining solutions for imaginary problems
Still in. Today was the Timeless .95 scallop plate/cap's turn at bat. The soap was CRS Rose cream, and the brush was the Yaqi 26mm Timberwolf. I put the slightly used Astra blade in (since it did so well with the .68 scallop). The handle is a custom Tibam Titanium "New York" model that is 80mm tall. Not only does that handle look made for this head, it handled (pardon the pun) that way as well. It was a 3-pass shave, and the results were definitely BBS. I feel like the 95 was smoother than the 68 and it was definitely more efficient.

proxy.php

SOTD
  • Fatip Piccolo
  • Nacet (13)
  • Antica Barbieria Colla
  • Maggard 24mm Synthetic
  • WH w/menthol, LTFT
  • Stirling Bay Rum ASB
  • Vintage Avon Bay Rum AS
A lovely shave today. I managed to slice myself two days ago - talking with SWMBO while shaving is a poor choice - so I took yesterday off. I was running behind today but decided to make the best of the shave and skimp elsewhere. Now, that was a good decision! Great lather, nice results, no blood.

Still in

SOTD
Mikes Barbershop
Feather AS-D2
New Feather blade
Semigue 610 (3 weeks old)

Very nice to have moved onto the Mikes Soap. Sensational stuff. Great shave, great face feel. The improved slickness also seems to be getting a bit more out of the razor.

Still in

SOTD
Mikes Barbershop
Feather AS-D2
New Feather blade
Semigue 610 (3 weeks old)

Very nice to have moved onto the Mikes Soap. Sensational stuff. Great shave, great face feel. The improved slickness also seems to be getting a bit more out of the razor.
Nice. I have some Mike's, but I need to get through my ABC first. There's probably another 10 shaves left in the tub, so I should get through it by the end of the month. Oh, and then I think I'm going to get into my Formula T Tobacco soap. Jeez, I just have too many to choose from, all of which are calling to me!

Still in!

Just did a quick face lather/face wash with Williams and Yaqi 26mm Tuxedo. Got a working lather so that's a win for me.

SOTD 04102020.jpg

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
Still in.

With the way things are locked down in the Philippines now, this is easy for me. If nothing changes for 6 months, I'll be out of Proraso, but then I can switch to a Palmolive shave stick that I have.

Today's shave was with my Titan 1918 ACRO and Proraso green cream.

Still in, using a German-made blade, probable Personna, on shave #4.

(The new "as great as an Israeli Personna?" blade? We don't know for sure, but see the blade forum for a commentary).

...and it is holding up very nicely on shave 4.

Still in! SOTD - 11 APR 2020

SOTD 04112020.jpg

Brush - Oumo 2020 LE brush
Lather - Stirling Noir sample (12)
Razor - Razorock Old Type
Blade - Gillette Wilkinson Sword (1)
Post-shave - Bulldog aftershave balm

Great shave. I had to do a quick one before the walk outside but I still enjoyed it. I bowl lathered to save some of the exfoliation and got a well hydrated lather to work with. I'm really enjoying this razor as it is efficient and comfortable. Hope you guys are enjoying your shaves!

Still in.

Preshave: Hot facecloth, Nuage shave oil
Brush: None
Soap: Canned foam
Razor: Rockwell 6S with R6
Blade: Boots German(=rebadged Personna?), 5
Postshave: Warm rinse, Nivea Sensitive Balm, Boots Freshwood Aftershave.

Since the blade was properly run-in, it was time to try a bit of plate escalation with the Rockwell.

I've used the R5 plate for months (checking my log, since late October 2019, how time flies), and it felt like it was almost perfect, but after a recent experiment with antique open comb razors, I thought "come on, the R6 couldn't be any scarier than going back to that thing", and so it proved.

The R6 was exactly like the R5, but even better.

Am I done with this thing yet? I don't think so. Some months with R6 should follow.

Flintstone65

Imagining solutions for imaginary problems
Still in. Finished my Timeless Pass-around and despite this being the final run in my den, the Timeless did not hold back: got a very nice DFS+ (just a hair shy of a BBS, I would say) with just 2-passes and a scant touch-up.

The final shave was the Timeless .95 with it's handle, and the Astra blade (3rd shave). The soap was the VERY floral (and a favorite scent of mine) Lilac from Maggards Razor and the brush was the Yaqi purple haze 24mm mew brown synth.
proxy.php

Top Bottom