What's new

Anyone have any experience with the cheap Lord razors you see on amazon?

I have a few people I want to introduce to wet and DE shaving, but I want to keep the cost of entry super low. I keep noticing these $7 safety razor and blade combos from Lord. The razor looks to be metal and has good reviews, but I was wondering if any of you have used such razors. They just seem so cheap!

I’ve got one of these but haven’t used it yet.
image.jpg

The L6 is a Merkur head clone. The L5 is a Tech clone. The L6 is my travel razor, and on occasion, I bring it out for a daily shave at home. It is a wonderful razor, and a bargain at $7.00 on Amazon.

I have an L6 and the head looks like a Merkur head but seems just a bit milder. A Merkur 34c generally won't quite give me a BBS shave with 3 passes. It'll be close enough but there will be just enough stubble to feel but not really see on my jawline. The Lord leaves just a little more stubble behind but it's more than good enough. The shaves from it are always comfortable and the price is right.

I have a few people I want to introduce to wet and DE shaving, but I want to keep the cost of entry super low. I keep noticing these $7 safety razor and blade combos from Lord. The razor looks to be metal and has good reviews, but I was wondering if any of you have used such razors. They just seem so cheap!
The Lord razors are OK, but they use inexpensive, lightweight materials and construction. I wouldn't think of them as an item you buy to last the rest of your life. It's more an inexpensive choice to take traveling where your razor might get damaged or lost.

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
They are a good starter razor for someone dabbling in wet shaving. They are a good travel razor as they are cheap enough that if you leave it behind in the motel it doesn’t matter. They are good all round IMHO.

Lord L5 and L6 are solidly constructed. I can’t see why they wouldn’t last a lifetime if not abused. The handles are aluminum (like a late-model Tech) which has engendered too much discussion. Only if someone overtightened the handle and stripped the threads would there be a problem. Experienced shavers know to push down on the inverted head while tightening only enough to secure the blade, with the Lord or any other razor

I have a Lord L5 Tech clone, and a Lord S625-1 with Merkur like head.
The L5 is a very mild and nice razor and the S625-1 is a bit more aggressive than the old L6 from what I can understand.

The Lord L6 is a great razor, really cheap & it works great. Not quite as smooth as my Merkur 34c, but the blade seems to sit better aligned in the Lord for some reason.

The Lord L5 a.k.a. L122 is a great razor. It was my 1st 'new' razor l bought. I put a heavier generic brass eastern European razor handle bought off the 'Bay on mine and it is a regular in my rotation of face scrapers.

I have a Lord L5 Tech clone, and a Lord S625-1 with Merkur like head.
The L5 is a very mild and nice razor and the S625-1 is a bit more aggressive than the old L6 from what I can understand.
So you’re referring to three razors.. The Lord L5 “Tech“, the Lord L6 “Merkur”, and possibly the Shark L6 “Merkur“?

The Shark L6 has no Lord logo on the head so maybe a different head gives the Shark L6 a more aggressive shave than the Lord L6? I saw the two different Lord L6 packaging but assumed the only difference was the amount of blades.

I just ordered a Lord L5 with a second baseplate. Has both the standard L5 baseplate and a plastic open comb baseplate for body shaving

I also believe there is an L5 with a plastic safety bar baseplate

Great experience actually. Just ordered the new L5 with both standard Zamac and plastic open comb baseplate. Great shaves from the current L6.

Some people don’t like how the Lord logo is on the head of the razor..”shaving with a billboard” lol but I like the branding personally

So you’re referring to three razors.. The Lord L5 “Tech“, the Lord L6 “Merkur”, and possibly the Shark L6 “Merkur“?

The Shark L6 has no Lord logo on the head so maybe a different head gives the Shark L6 a more aggressive shave than the Lord L6? I saw the two different Lord L6 packaging but assumed the only difference was the amount of blades.

I just ordered a Lord L5 with a second baseplate. Has both the standard L5 baseplate and a plastic open comb baseplate for body shaving

I also believe there is an L5 with a plastic safety bar baseplate
I am not referring to three razors, just the two models I have.
The S625-1 looks just like the older L6 but what I have seen on pictures here at b&b is that S625-1 has just a tad bigger blade gap and I don't find it to be as mild as many ppl describe it to be.
My L5 Tech clone is much much milder than the S625-1 and it's almost as good as my original Techs.

I am not referring to three razors, just the two models I have.
The S625-1 looks just like the older L6 but what I have seen on pictures here at b&b is that S625-1 has just a tad bigger blade gap and I don't find it to be as mild as many ppl describe it to be.
My L5 Tech clone is much much milder than the S625-1 and it's almost as good as my original Techs.

I thought you mentioned three razors in your post. The L5, the “old” L6 (LP1822) and the “new L6” S625-1. I thought the S625-1 is the Shark “Merkur style head without Lord Logo” and then there is the Lord L6 (LP1822), with the Lord logo on cap

Alright so I referred to the notes haha the Shark L6 is the SH.25... the 625-1 is the L6 that comes with a full tuck of blades. The LP1822 is the L6 with a single blade haha

Well I ordered the “new” L5 and interested to see how a plastic open comb base will be haha

My bad for the confusion about the model numbers

Top Bottom