What's new

Anyone else dislike Proraso ? (and where to go from here)

I love Proraso (Red tub and Green cream) especially for the price/performance ratio but understand it's YMMV. Other soaps I've tried and really like include Stirling and Dr Jon's, a vegan soap.

I've tried the Arko stick and don't think much of it. At the bottom of my list. Not bothered by the scent, a lemony soap/cleaner note I pick up, but I did leave it open a day or two to decrease the strength of it.

I find both Cypress and Vetiver and Wood & Spice to be outstanding.

Out of curiosity, what exactly do you like about those scents? Do they transport you to a forest or natural setting? Do you feel like they are nice type cologne scents for a special formal occasion? Do you find them soothing in some way? They were the two worst scents for me. I found them to be particularly awful to my nose, and I found them to be similar to each other in multiple ways. I'm trying to understand what it is precisely that I don't like about them in order to learn and avoid things in the future.

They don't necessarily transport me to a natural setting... it depends on the scent.

Wood & Spice is a sweet and spicy cologne-type scent, a hybrid of classic Italian and Oriental tendencies in perfumery. It has oud and vanilla... overall, it's warm, sweet and interesting. Good longevity too.

Cypress and Vetiver is clean and classy. Green woods, grass, springtime. Not as strong as W&S. Less barbershop, more "green" if that makes sense.

Search for them on Fragrantica and similar websites - both have very good reviews from people who use a lot of colognes and perfumes. Now, I admit it's all individual - but these two are not very similar, aside from the cedar component. Just look at their profiles on Fragrantica:

• Cypress & Vetiver by Proraso...Top notes are cypress and bergamot; middle notes are cedar and vetiver; base note is amber.
  • Wood & Spice by Proraso... Top notes are saffron and cumin; middle notes are cedar and sandalwood; base notes are vanilla and rock rose.
Finally, since you used the word "soothing" - Proraso Red is one of the most soothing scents I have ever experienced in a shaving product. If I had one soap to pick, it would be this one because of that scent. It's amazing to me.

Last edited:

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
I got a Proraso sampler pack from WCS. As far as scent goes, I found the Cypress Vetiver and Wood&Spice to be highly offputting. As for the Green Tea&Oat (White) and Menthol/Eucalyptus (Green), both have menthol which I hated. Eucalyptus by itself is usually a nice scent but the menthol scent and sensation killed it for me. I was surprised that they would put Menthol in a "sensitive skin" product. The White and the Green both smelled like cleaning products to me (not in a good way, more like janitorial or maid service supplies).

The Red (sandalwood), is obviously a classic Sandalwood scent. I know many guys like this, but not me. I found it heavy, dark, and old man-ish, like a steam room full of naked wrinkly fat men. I was suffocating while using it and couldn't get the scent off for a whole day.

Azur Lime smelled like a modern day clean and fresh cologne, not bad at all but not what I want to shave with everyday

As for performance of Proraso, it was ok, but nothing special. So far I've tried Cella, Art of Shaving, Fine, Haslinger, MWF. I would put Proraso towards the bottom of the list, but I'm sure there are much worse creams/soaps out there than Proraso.

Did anyone have a similar experience with Proraso and if so what do you use (or recommend) instead?
Same experience here.

I have tried Proraso Green, Red and Blue.

I love the Green and Red and have them in my rotation constantly. (used the red yesterday)

I hated the blue scent and threw it away.

That being said i have enough soaps and creams to last multiple lifetimes and just pull out a diff soap depending on my mood.

I absolutely adore B&M Seville and Cheshire.
I dont really use many other creams. I do have Crabtree & Evelyn Lime cream that i really like the scent of.

I have some Cremo for travel since its a brushless and when i travel for work i just want a quick shave.

I got a Proraso sampler pack from WCS. As far as scent goes, I found the Cypress Vetiver and Wood&Spice to be highly offputting. As for the Green Tea&Oat (White) and Menthol/Eucalyptus (Green), both have menthol which I hated. Eucalyptus by itself is usually a nice scent but the menthol scent and sensation killed it for me. I was surprised that they would put Menthol in a "sensitive skin" product. The White and the Green both smelled like cleaning products to me (not in a good way, more like janitorial or maid service supplies).

The Red (sandalwood), is obviously a classic Sandalwood scent. I know many guys like this, but not me. I found it heavy, dark, and old man-ish, like a steam room full of naked wrinkly fat men. I was suffocating while using it and couldn't get the scent off for a whole day.

Azur Lime smelled like a modern day clean and fresh cologne, not bad at all but not what I want to shave with everyday

As for performance of Proraso, it was ok, but nothing special. So far I've tried Cella, Art of Shaving, Fine, Haslinger, MWF. I would put Proraso towards the bottom of the list, but I'm sure there are much worse creams/soaps out there than Proraso.

Did anyone have a similar experience with Proraso and if so what do you use (or recommend) instead?

Ehh, nope. Totally opposite. Sorry.

However, we all are different and it sounds like you gave each one a fair shot as well as have an understanding of why they don't work for you. That's all one can really ask for.

My suggestions from here would be Palmolive, La Toja, Gillette (the tubes from India, not the US pure line since it has menthol), or derby. Another option, though too expensive in my opinion, are the new Fine creams.

I will join in the dislike for Proraso. The smell is too chemical and the list of ingredients will confirm why.

As far as MWF, this stuff face lathers great if you are willing to pick up the puck and rub it directly on your face. No other method consistently works for me.

As far as what to try next? Staying with the Italian theme, Palmolive red. Barber’s shop clean soap smell. Or, give Portugal some love and try Musgo Real. Has kind of a fresh mowed grass smell and nice slick lather. I would consider both of these similar to Proraso, absent the menthol.

I like the green and the red. My wife does not. One time we had a cab pick us up on date night to take us for a nice night on the town. After we got in the cab she made me go back into the house and take a shower to wash off the Proraso red I’d used to shave with before getting dressed. I knew she didn’t care for it but I was trying to use it up. I didn’t realize the depth of hatred she had for the red. Sunday morning after date night I threw out the shaving cream and the aftershave. I’m cheap but it cost more to pay for a cab with the meter running in front of the house while taking a shower.

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
Something in Proraso irritates my face and I didn’t find it all that impressive in general. I prefer Palmolive Classic and it is even less expensive.

There are better creams. But they don't cost $4.99. I use the Red and like the Sandalwood Scent.
It lathers easily, only use a small amount, and has decent slickness and cushion. Post shave a little dry feeling. But for the price, pretty good deal.

Although it is very very cheap (3 Euros), I used just once (and never again) the red proraso.

The scent is terrible and has nothing to do with sandalwood. TOBS for instance has scent of sandalwood.

Although it is very very cheap (3 Euros), I used just once (and never again) the red proraso.

The scent is terrible and has nothing to do with sandalwood. TOBS for instance has scent of sandalwood.

I'd suggest you go find and sniff some Sandalwood essential oil good sir. Proraso Red has something else in it that is very sweet and cloying and that grates on me too, yet contains actual Sandalwood essential oil, it's right there on the ingredient list, at the very end. TOBS Sandalwood contains zero Sandalwood essential oil and smells nothing like Sandalwood essential oil. Does it smell nice? Heck yeah I think it does, but not any kind of Sandalwood I've ever smelled before. A more tame and nice actual Sandalwood scented soap is Haslinger. There are many other I have yet to sniff but I can tell you, it's a good thing to sniff some of the actual essential oil, it has a very distinct scent that it hard to forget once you catch wind of it.

Proraso Red:
Screen Shot 2020-04-28 at 12.37.25 AM.png

TOBS Sandalwood:
Screen Shot 2020-04-28 at 12.38.53 AM.png

I'm not a big fan. It's usable but there's much better stuff out there IMO so I tossed mine when it was about 1/2 used up. Life's too short to shave with something that isn't really enjoyable.

Top Bottom