What's new

Any Iron Butts in the room?

I'm just posting an update to make myself fell important:biggrin: I've officially decided to reverse my route. I'll head out west on I-90 to begin the ride. This works better several ways.
Another quick question for anyone with any kind of long distance riding, right now I'm planning to skip any real "meals" in favor of stocking up on some sort of nutrition bar. I'm figuring I'll be stopping for gas and a quick stretch every 100-110 miles or so, I'll use that time for a bite or two. Nothing to fill me up too much, but enough to keep my body's fuel level going. Any thoughts or suggestions?

Stay with the small bites. Having an unplanned stop because, well you know, sucks. If you do stop and eat, eat relatively healthy and in small portions. I would use a tank bag too. Keep your snacks in there and you can munch while you ride.

Second the throttle rocker. $12 on ebay. I have a thumb screw that allows me to lock the throttle in place and rest my right hand.

I used my Shure e2c noise cancelling headphones and my ipod. Hell, at 70+, you can't hear anything anyway. Might as well hear some tunes.

What are you going to ride?

Never used it, but I do use a Crampbuster.

All you guys talking about what bike to take... :rolleyes:

I knew a guy that has been going on the Iron Butts for at least 5 years... he's in his 60's and rides a Ninja 250 (the old style ones).

Its always the rider, not the bike that makes anything possible. there was a guy that toured the world on a yamaha R1. if he could slug it out through mud and gravel roads... you'll be fine on whatever you choose.

Hmmm, this is a really cool thread, Andy.

Some years back, I was working as a land surveyor, pretty much fresh out of the Engineers, with a brand new knee and all. (Pre-cellphone, email, etc)

I kind of snapped one day, quit my job, loaded my bike (Yamaha XT600) and left. Rode down the left coast into California, then across to Texas, down to Mexico right down the Yucatan, back up, east to Florida, back up the right coast, across on a ferry to Newfoundland, back across to Labrador, then west to Manitoba, north and west, north and west, up to Barrow (Alaska) and finally back down through Yukon, BC and back to Calgary. I was gone almost eight months and went through four sets of tires, two chains and a set of bearings. I painted fences, split wood, picked fruit, shoveled poop and whatever else to pay my way as I went.

I'm glad I did it but glad it was over, too, when I got back. Now, these posts have started an itch . . . sigh.

- John

Never used it, but I do use a Crampbuster.

All you guys talking about what bike to take... :rolleyes:

I knew a guy that has been going on the Iron Butts for at least 5 years... he's in his 60's and rides a Ninja 250 (the old style ones).

Its always the rider, not the bike that makes anything possible. there was a guy that toured the world on a yamaha R1. if he could slug it out through mud and gravel roads... you'll be fine on whatever you choose.

You are correct that the rider makes the ride, but the bike needs to be set up correctly for the individual. Height, weight, physical condition, and experience play a big part in what bike you will be able to ride long distance. A Ninja 250 is a great distance bike. I have read a number of posts on the IBA forum about folks riding them.

The question isn't can I ride 1,500 miles on the bike. Given enough time, I could ride 1,500 on a hardtail bobber. 200 to 400 miles a day. The real question is can I ride 1,500 in 24 or 36 hours safely while securing the proper documentation.

wilson

The right bike can make all the difference. Just try doing an Ironbutt on a sled with crapped-out tires, or one so unreliable it keeps breaking down.

Beyond simple mechanical reliability, there are a lot of things to look for in a long-distance bike. You want enough power that you can maintain a decent cruising speed (~70 mph plus on mountain interstates). Ideally you want an engine that delivers that power without so much vibration and noise that it turns your spine and nervous system into a pool of jelly. You want a riding position that you can comfortably endure 15-16 hours in the saddle. You want gas tank range to give you a comfortable two+ hours between stops, without having to panic if you miss a freeway exit. Ideally you'd like a modicum of cargo capacity: a few spare parts and a couple of tools. And you'd like a lighting setup that thrws enough candlepower, in the right direction, so that you can whistle down a rural freeway, on your own in the dark, reasonably confident you'll spot that whitetail deer or armadillo making a kamikaze run in front of you.

Hmmm, this is a really cool thread, Andy.

Some years back, I was working as a land surveyor, pretty much fresh out of the Engineers, with a brand new knee and all. (Pre-cellphone, email, etc)

I kind of snapped one day, quit my job, loaded my bike (Yamaha XT600) and left. Rode down the left coast into California, then across to Texas, down to Mexico right down the Yucatan, back up, east to Florida, back up the right coast, across on a ferry to Newfoundland, back across to Labrador, then west to Manitoba, north and west, north and west, up to Barrow (Alaska) and finally back down through Yukon, BC and back to Calgary. I was gone almost eight months and went through four sets of tires, two chains and a set of bearings. I painted fences, split wood, picked fruit, shoveled poop and whatever else to pay my way as I went.

I'm glad I did it but glad it was over, too, when I got back. Now, these posts have started an itch . . . sigh.

- John

John, ideas like that could get me in trouble! I've thought about doing the same thing so many times. So far, all that I've done is to turn a quick ride around town to clear my head into a three hour tour of the Black Hills. It's way too easy when every road in town leads to a highway out.
Another ride I want to do is to Calgary. I've been following the Flames for about 20 years and would love to have my picture taken in front of the Saddledome.

John, ideas like that could get me in trouble! I've thought about doing the same thing so many times. So far, all that I've done is to turn a quick ride around town to clear my head into a three hour tour of the Black Hills. It's way too easy when every road in town leads to a highway out.
Another ride I want to do is to Calgary. I've been following the Flames for about 20 years and would love to have my picture taken in front of the Saddledome.

Fortunately, I have Max Cat to keep me level these days . . . good thing, too, since the old demon whispers daily "just stay on the freeway this morning, don't take the offramp to work . . ."

You show up here and I'll take the picture (and throw in supper at the best Italian place in the city, to boot) :biggrin:

Last edited:
Just an update for anyone who wants to know... September 8th and 9th took me for a hell of a ride on the V-Max in 45 MPH winds, 39 degree temps, blinding fog, rain, HAIL... but most importantly, 1561 miles in 34 hours and 10 minutes! After all was said and done, the bad weather made for the best ride of my life!

Just out of curiosity Andy, what's the longest distance you've covered on the R65 so far?

oldblue

The R65 sticks mostly to in town rides, but every now and then we make a day out of a trip the the Badlands here in SD, then to my Grandparent's place, then back home making a grand total of around 250 miles, depending if I stick to interstate, or go twisting and turning through the back roads that crisscross the Black Hills. That's probably the most I've done in one shot with the Beemer.

The R65 sticks mostly to in town rides, but every now and then we make a day out of a trip the the Badlands here in SD, then to my Grandparent's place, then back home making a grand total of around 250 miles, depending if I stick to interstate, or go twisting and turning through the back roads that crisscross the Black Hills. That's probably the most I've done in one shot with the Beemer.

Hi Andy

Let me preface this by saying I love the little BMW R45 and R65 bikes. Those short stroke motors love to rev and you get the benefit of great handling with the shorter wheelbase.

However....depending on the final drive ratio you're using and the cruising speed you do, you might find yourself in the 'buzz zone' at around 4500 RPM. There's an almost relentless vibration through the bars and pegs that will make you very weary after 10 - 12 hours of riding.

I've done one coast to coast trip on my R45, and I found I was mostly above the RPM where the buzz would be felt. It was tiring because I was wailing the thing all day at 5000 -5500 RPM. I did it, but it sure felt harder than it needed to be.

I've got an R100RS now. :thumbup:

oldblue

Those R100RS are a nice bikes! Some day I hope to come across a nice 1978, that's my vintage too:wink: Love that "banana" seat:lol:

The question isn't can I ride 1,500 miles on the bike. Given enough time, I could ride 1,500 on a hardtail bobber. 200 to 400 miles a day. The real question is can I ride 1,500 in 24 or 36 hours safely while securing the proper documentation.

wilson

OK I had to jump in here. Back in the day ( I always wanted to say that) a bunch of us headed out on February 23rd 82' at 9AM from Hartford CT and came to rest on the 24th at 1:30 PM in Daytona (1128 mi). My sled of choice was my 48' Pan/Knuck Ridged, no throttle rockin' knuckle dragger. My boots filled with Cayenne Pepper, my Jacket and Chaps stuffed with the news print of the day and an old leather bomber cap and flight goggles, my double lined combat gloves and dads wool mask he wore in the navy.

It was 29 degrees when we rolled out and let me tell you, it was nice to stop for a light even if it was for 30 seconds...lol. We hit snow in NY and it stayed with us through NJ then gave way about the time we crossed the state line south. We were on the lead edge of the snow luckily so the roadways never really covered.
It finally warmed up to about 45 when we hit VA and climbed from there. It was 88 when we hit Daytona (hot as hell..lol)....
So yes one I've done the 1000 mile str8 through run....(we trailered home).

Hi Andy

Let me preface this by saying I love the little BMW R45 and R65 bikes. Those short stroke motors love to rev and you get the benefit of great handling with the shorter wheelbase.

However....depending on the final drive ratio you're using and the cruising speed you do, you might find yourself in the 'buzz zone' at around 4500 RPM. There's an almost relentless vibration through the bars and pegs that will make you very weary after 10 - 12 hours of riding.

They never sold R45s in the U.S. but my first BMW was a monolever ('86) R65. With the vibration, it always seemed as if the mirrors were showing double decker buses following me. :smile:

- Chris

It is the little things that add up.

Another endorsement for ear plugs.

Absolutely.

If you ever doubt the benefits of earplugs, go for a half hour ride with one ear plugged. When you're done, remove that earplug and note the difference between one ear and the other.

I go nowhere without earplugs in.

- Chris

Hey, I think you guys missed my big post! I made the trip in September and braved terrible weather and equipment failure, well a bungee broke on my seat bag. 1561 miles in 34 hours and 10 minutes (only 10 minutes past my plans estimated I'd finish). Don't you want to tell me how cool I am now?:wink2::lol::lol:
I did go for noise canceling ear phones for the MP3 player. Probably the best 100 bucks I have ever spent. And I did get a throttle lock. Probably the best 30 bucks I ever spent. Just for the heck of it, here's a shot of my setup while taking a small break in Cheyenne, WY, and enjoying the best weather until I crossed back into West river South Dakota on I-90 West.
proxy.php

NOW TELL ME I'M COOL!!!:001_tt2:

Top Bottom