What's new

Any Iron Butts in the room?

Hey guys. I'm planning my first officially documented Iron Butt ride to take place in early September. I've been on rides before that could have easily passed the Saddle Sore 1000 requirements, I'm almost positive that I could have extended them into Bun Burner 1500 rides, but this will be the first time doing all the paperwork needed to be "official". I'm feeling very positive since I'm starting in the middle of nowhere and nothing but open interstates all around me.
So far, the tentative plan is to go East on I-90 from Rapid City, SD to Sioux Falls, SD. Then head South on I-29 to Omaha, NE. I-80 West to Cheyenne, WY. I-25 North to Buffalo, WY. Finally I-90 West back to Rapid City. Map Quest puts this at about 1530 miles. The only "major" cities I'll have to navigate are Sioux Falls (not the biggest city ever, but a really poor "freeway" system) and Omaha (I have friends there I could take advantage of to rest a little, and get some moral support). I might reverse the route, but I think the roads will stay the same.
Has any one done the proper documentation for any of the Iron Butt rides? Any suggestions for the trip, or to my route? Any advice of any kind?

Last edited:
I've done a few 500+ mile days on my 2002 Harley V-Rod (not the best of touring machines..) including a 5 day trip from Wisconsin to Boston and back in the summer of 2006. (I ended up shipping my clothes, etc. there and back via UPS - took just a toothbrush and clean skivvies with me on the bike.)

I thought, very seriously, about doing an Ironbutt a few years ago. It certainly is quite an accomplishment for any motorcyclist. But, after talking with enough guys who had done it - and doing some long trips myself - I ultimately decided it wasn't for me.

For one thing, in order to do a thousand miles in a day, you've almost got to make most of your mileage up on the Interstate. There's nothing inherently wrong with riding the Superslab - but it isn't my favorite sort of motorcycling. Unless the terrain you are riding through is really spectacular, it soon degenerates into a mind-ear-and-***-numbing ordeal, with the mental calculations as to optimum fuel stops providing most of the "entertainment."

Secondly, I began to have some serious concerns about the safety implications. When you are doing 16+ hours in the saddle, chances are you'll be doing at least some of your riding in the hours of darkness, with the added concerns about wandering wildlife and roadway debris strikes that entails. Making things worse, unless you get the scheduling just right, you'll probably be riding in dusk or darkness right when your fatigue levels are at their highest. I've put in enough 14+ hour days at my job to know how, even with the best of intentions, your mind starts wandering and your concentration levels drop off after hour 10 or so. I can live with the consequences of a tiredness-induced mistake at work. I don't know that I could survive the same sort of mistake on the bike.

I certainly don't want to discourage you. If you truly believe you have the physical and mental endurance to make an Ironbutt safely - then go for it. Ideally you'll do it with at least one (but no more than three) other riders - and also, hopefully, a four-wheel "support" vehicle in case of trouble. Get plenty of rest, make sure your ride is in 100% mechanical shape, and you have an "ironclad" route planned out. But definitely talk to a bunch of people who've actually completed a certified Ironbutt before embarking on one.

Thanks for your input, razor. The main factor that has me worried is that it will be around 75% solo. I have people willing to meet me at various points, but can't commit to any real mileage. I've done 700 miles in about 11 hours solo, but that was the end of the trip. That last 800 could be killer.
The best thing about the 1000 and 1500 rides is that there is no pre-registration what so ever. I don't have to worry about loosing any sort of deposit or anything like that. If the weather turns, or I feel I can no longer ride safe, I have no reason not to scrap the attempt and use the experience to better plan the next one.
I plan to get the documentation done for the 1000 then continue on, hopefully finishing the 1500 on time. That way I have two goals that I can break apart if I feel the need to.

I don't really have the time or places to go really... since I'm a poor student. Just riding across texas and new mexico. I like riding lone though.

Thanks for your input, razor. The main factor that has me worried is that it will be around 75% solo. I have people willing to meet me at various points, but can't commit to any real mileage. I've done 700 miles in about 11 hours solo, but that was the end of the trip. That last 800 could be killer.
The best thing about the 1000 and 1500 rides is that there is no pre-registration what so ever. I don't have to worry about loosing any sort of deposit or anything like that. If the weather turns, or I feel I can no longer ride safe, I have no reason not to scrap the attempt and use the experience to better plan the next one.
I plan to get the documentation done for the 1000 then continue on, hopefully finishing the 1500 on time. That way I have two goals that I can break apart if I feel the need to.

I did two SS 1,000 last year on a HD FXST Softail Standard. Here are some of my observations:

1. Read as much as you can on the IBA site.
2. I started the first ride at ~11am (in July). Big mistake. By 11:30pm I was so tired that I had to get a hotel room and sleep for a few hours. The ride took me 23hrs and 15min. I started the second ride at ~3:30am (in November). You start the ride in the dark and end in the dark, but at least you are fresh during the first part of the ride.
3. Drink water, stay away from caffeine, and eat light.
4. Slower is faster. The faster you ride the quicker you get tired and the more you have to stop.
5. There will be a point that no matter what you do, you will be able to get comfortable. Mine was about mile 800 on both rides.
6. You have plenty of time. If you feel like you need to stop, STOP!
7. Carry some cash and call your credit card company before you leave. tell them that you will be travelling through multiple states on x date or they might turn your card off for suspicious activity.

I will probably think of some more later.

Chris Wilson
IBA#34518

Thanks, Wilson. One question for you, did you have people set up to sign as witnesses, or did you need to ask strangers? I have no trouble approaching people for something like this, but I'm concerned I won't get the needed sigs. Hopefully I'm just paranoid.
I plan to do the early start. I'm hoping that will give me the best options for rest and whatnot.

Thanks, Wilson. One question for you, did you have people set up to sign as witnesses, or did you need to ask strangers? I have no trouble approaching people for something like this, but I'm concerned I won't get the needed sigs. Hopefully I'm just paranoid.
I plan to do the early start. I'm hoping that will give me the best options for rest and whatnot.

For the SS and the BB, your spouse or a friend can sign. The signatures are important, bu the time stamped beginning and ending reciepts really tell the story. Make sure that your starting gas reciept has the correct date and time.

The Bun Burner Gold requires better witnesses. I haven't done an IBA ride this year, but I want to try the BBG next Spring.

I don't have MS streets and trips, but it supposed to be great. I used AAA TripPlanner (free online) to plan my routes and it worked great.

C

2. I started the first ride at ~11am (in July). Big mistake. By 11:30pm I was so tired that I had to get a hotel room and sleep for a few hours.

I'd have to second this observation. Starting your ride too late in the day is a surefire recipe for trouble.

Personally I feel that the best strategy is to aim to start your ride around 4.00 am. By this time your chances of encountering a homeward-headed barfly are seriously reduced. If you've had a decent 8 hours of shuteye, you can crack off a couple hundred miles before the sun is up. Plan a decent breakfast stop around 7.00 am; and with luck you'll kick over the five hundred mile mark well before lunchtime.

One other item I forgot to mention is earplugs. I had some custom-made for me a few years ago (a weird procedure were they pour this warm waxy-stuff into your earhole..)

The first time you ride with fitted earplugs it feels a little strange. For some reason your balance seems to be a little off - I certainly wouldn't recommend them for hitting an unfamiliar stretch of twisties, and certainly tight parking-lot maneuvers are to be avoided.

But long-term, the benefits of reducing the "roar" of wind and exhaust on your ears are hard to overstate. (I've even started wearing them when I cut the lawn.) I've got a nice Arai Quantum helmet, and my exhaust is pretty tame compared to most Harleys. With the earplugs in, I can still hear the engine - but the sounds of the tires, engine, and wind is more like "background" noise - rather than the relentless auditory assault long rides can be without them.

The other subject is "farkles": those mechanical items you add to your bike to make cracking off super-high mileage that much more comfortable.

I bought one of those "throttle rocker" accessories (the best $20 I ever spent on my bike) so I can comfortably maintain a 70 mph cruise without my hand turning into the Vulcan death-grip. If your bike can be fitted with cruise-control (mine can't): do this. I also have a windshield (only used on 200 mile+ days) and a CamelBack hydration pack to keep me comfortable when riding in the heat of the summer. The Camelback does mean you need more "biological" pitstops - but I figure its better to have to pee every time I gas up (my V-Rod has a bare 120 mile range) than it is to risk dehydration.

Thanks again for the tips, guys. Please feel free to post more as you think of them!

Second the throttle rocker. $12 on ebay. I have a thumb screw that allows me to lock the throttle in place and rest my right hand.

I used my Shure e2c noise cancelling headphones and my ipod. Hell, at 70+, you can't hear anything anyway. Might as well hear some tunes.

What are you going to ride?

Wow. I've seen the throttle rocker many times, but thought it was more of a gimmick than anything. There's some solid use for it huh?
I have helmet speakers mounted in my helmet, but I might opt for some headphones as the speakers get a little lost at anything over 60. I tend not to like the idea of head/earphones on the bike, unsafe and illegal in many states, but since the great majority of my miles will be spent on interstate, I'm going to try to get away with it.
I have two options for bike. Before I tell you, I know neither are really touring models, but I've had both on the road for great distances and they work for me, so give me a break:wink: The first choice is my 1979 BMW R-65. I'm about 90% sure the old girl would have no trouble whatsoever on a trip like this, but with no support or partners for most of the time I'm not too comfortable risking that 10%. The second, and more likely choice, is my 2007 V-Max. The seating position isn't quite as comfortable as the BMW, but she's 100% mechanically. A back pack and removable passenger seat bag will be with me, and a seat cushion of some sort. I've heard great things about Air Hawk, but I'm not sure about the price. I might just try to find a nice padded piece of lamb skin. Any good ideas on that one guys?

I don't really have the time or places to go really... since I'm a poor student. Just riding across texas and new mexico. I like riding lone though.

I have nothing to add to this thread but I'm glad to see a fellow El Pasoan on here!

I used a sheep skin that I bought from Ikea and it was well worth the $30. It looks stupid, but I am more about function over form anyway. I have heard great things about the AirHawk, but I am really cheap. I bought a cheap gel pad and it doesn't do a darn thing. Waste of $60.

I would take to more comfortable bike and a good tool kit. Which ever bike you take, you should take a good assortment of tools, tape, zip ties, electrical wire, etc with you. You never know when you might have to pull off to the side of the interstate and, I don't know, re-attach a footpeg or something :D.

C

A back pack and removable passenger seat bag will be with me, and a seat cushion of some sort.

I'd really advise against any sort of backpack for a long-mileage day. The added strain on your shoulders and back, while tolerable for an hour or two - may drive you crazy in hour fifteen.

I've found a bulky backpack to about the worst thing imaginable on a bike. They tend to throw off your balance, and interfere with your ability to turn your head - making the headcheck before changing lanes, etc. that much more difficult. A backpack also adds some aerodynamic drag to the rider - meaning you have to put that much more effort into holding onto the bars.

All things being equal, if I had to make a choice between the two bikes you mentioned for a marathon trip: I'd take the BMW, hands down, despite its age. The BMW was designed for long distance cruising - the V-MAX? Not so much.

Strong, strong support for hearing protection.

If you have the chance, try this experiment: Put an earplug in one ear (just a typical disposable E.A.R. or similar foam plug) and go for a 1/2 ride.

Take out the earplug and note how differently your two ears function.

There's also a tremendous difference in fatigue level over the long run. I'd personally take earplug silence over music on a very long run.

Oh, and I vote for the BMW :smile:.

- Chris
'82 R100

500 is the most I have done in one day. Good Luck. Omaha should not be a problem. Traffic in Omaha can be a bit heavy but most of the interstate is 3 lane. Stay in the left 2 lanes after you enter Omaha. from Council Bluffs. I live in Lincoln so if I can be of any help let me know.

HDguy.

More great suggestions guys, thanks again!
The backpack was something I was wavering on. Maybe I'll skip it after all. I really don't need to carry any more than the essentials, a little water, light snacks, and emergency equipment. All that will fit in my seat bag.
I have a couple of earphones, in ear style, in mind that I'd like to test out a little before the trip. I'm hoping one of them will cut down the wind noise enough to be able to keep the music at a comfortable level. I agree tho that ear fatigue can be a huge obstacle on a long trip. I started riding longer distances with the foam plugs, but since I hooked up the helmet speakers, I don't wear them as much (as I should, I know:rolleyes:)
Chris, I've always had to do a double take on your screen name. Every time one of your posts comes up, I keep thinking, "That means something. I should know that". Now I know why! Any "R" bike is good in my book, "K" bikes have no soul:lol:
HDguy, I might have to schedule a quick "hello" stop in Lincoln, just promise to bring that wonderful bulldog of yours:biggrin:
Lost of things to think about and plan. Keep the ideas coming.:thumbup1:

I guess I am spoiled because of the cruise control on my current bike but the throttle rocker is a definite good idea. I sometimes use one when riding with a group if I am not leading. It does make a difference.
I like my ipod for long distances. I spent a little money and got a Shure in ear set of plugs with foam ear buds. They fit well and can serve as plugs if you turn off the music.

Not I. The farthest I ever recall riding was about 350 miles in one day, from Pelham, AL to Franklin, NC via Chattanooga. On a little Honda CB750F.

Tim

I'm just posting an update to make myself fell important:biggrin: I've officially decided to reverse my route. I'll head out west on I-90 to begin the ride. This works better several ways.
Another quick question for anyone with any kind of long distance riding, right now I'm planning to skip any real "meals" in favor of stocking up on some sort of nutrition bar. I'm figuring I'll be stopping for gas and a quick stretch every 100-110 miles or so, I'll use that time for a bite or two. Nothing to fill me up too much, but enough to keep my body's fuel level going. Any thoughts or suggestions?

Top Bottom