What's new

Any interest in an organized Vintage brush PIF round robin?

Awesome! I'm glad to see that palm tree go to someone who appreciates it! I have a fair bit of palm left, but I really didn't enjoy turning it for some reason. That is the only palm handle I've made to date. Enjoy it sir!

I will enjoy it for a lifetime! There was another that I marveled over but, I thought that I shouldn't take both of them. I mean I guess that I could have but, it just wouldn't have seemed right. But, what can I say, I'm a sucker for a nice wood grain.

On a side note, the box has been shipped today. It should reach you Matt on Saturday. I'll post the tracking info when I get home from work.

Beautiful pics there Richard!!! :thumbup:

I knew Rob's hand turned brushes wouldn't make it very far :lol: You have a gift there sir!!! :thumbup:

Thanks. Yeah, like I said, as soon as I saw it I was like, I HAVE TO HAVE IT! I don't care if I have to walk to his house and chop down a tree I'm going to get another one. :badger:

$tmp_20140206_220610-338391679.jpg

I'm still hoping someone finds a stash of just the brush ends. It seems like there should be some out there since we've seen the ads that market the brush as having interchangeable heads for barber use.

Or else somone could make resin ferules to do this. Imagine having a set of rainbow colored ferules with a variety of types and lofts of knots.

Sorry to take this back a while, but I was reading thru this thread and once I saw this I couldn't help but think of having a 7-day set of brush heads to mimic a 7-day razor set. You could have various colors / knots / lofts whose properties could mimic the attitudes associated with the various days of the week. ie: Monday's brush head could be a bit scrubby; Friday could be a mixed hair indicating the changing from work to relax; Sunday could be a luxuriously soft brush, etc. I am inspired by this thread and will be stopping by the local thrift shops in hope of finding something that is worthy of restoration. Thanks duderubble for starting this and also thank you to the participants as your work has inspired me to start searching for the opportunity to find a restoration project. I will continue to check in for future inspiration.

Looks like I need to make sure my brushes are ready looking forward to the box.... I hope mine are nice enough for the box...

OK. Box went out this morning.

USPS Tracking: 9505 8000 3525 4041 0003 20

Should arrive on Wednesday to Vegas!

Pics coming, I promise. Just need to get home from work. I LOVE my two selections. They're going to be amazing.

Here are my selections.

Rob's brush called out to me immediately. I was so excited when he opted to join this pass around and am honored to have some of his work grace my shave den. Just beautiful. My immediate instinct is to go with a finest fan, but that may change once I look through available knots.

The Papa Smurf brush is right up my alley. I always loved the super skinny neck on these brushes, and the condition is impeccable all around. I love the color scheme. I briefly entertained going with a boar in this one, but thought better of it. It's going to be a badger. Either best badger or silvertip. While I have owned many silvertips, I just don't prefer them. I have a couple sitting in the back of the den, but none in regular rotation. Maybe this handle is the perfect way to keep a silvertip in rotation at all times.

$ImageUploadedByTapatalk1392101482.971530.jpg

Last edited:
I was hoping someone would love Papa Smurf, LOL. I was trying to dye it with a recipe I found online using artist oil paints. It looked horrible so I just painted it that color since I figured I would never be able to get the pigment out. Then it has a couple coats of spray poly.

That original by Rob was stunning, as were the others he made. I need to get on the ball and update the list with everyone's picks.

I want to give a little update on my brushes. I haven't picked the knots I want yet, but will probably do that this weekend, and then get it ordered by the beginning of next week. I am out of town next week, for work, so I don't want it showing up while I am gone.

In the meantime, I hit my handles with some Flitz and polished it up pretty good. I didn't have to do much to get it ready, but here they are:

$IMG_2399.jpg

Here they are holding up my first ever blade I cleaned and gave new shoes :thumbup:
View attachment 412771

I got the box yesterday, I have not had a chance to go through it yet. May not be able to check it out till Monday due to schedule for work and other commitments this weekend.

Top Bottom