What's new

Animag's Straight Razor Shave Journal

Great luck having such a great shave for a wedding! Have a good time, and hopefully your ‘secret’ will carry forward for future shaves!

Shave #35
Date:
10/21/2018
Prep: Proraso Red Pre/Post Balm
Soap: Proraso Red
Brush: Maggard Black & White 22mm
Razor: 6/8" Full Hollow Diamondine No. 7
A/S: Proraso Red Aftershave Lotion

I had an incredibly comfortable shave today usous the Maggard Black & White brush. As mentioned in my previous post I'm only doing 2 pass shaves for a few days. This shave was so pleasant and enjoyable. It definitely isn't the closest shave I've had, but that wasn't the point this time around. I'm at DFS pretty much everywhere and CCS at the jaw line. No cuts, tugging, irritation, or AS burn... Just a big smile on my face :001_302:

Sounds like you're really getting the hang of this too! Glad to see it. DFS and a big smile - great combination!

One thing I have been learning is that even the hard to shave spots get a little easier each time. There are some spots I have a real hard time with, but they are getting a little less bad each time I shave.

That jawline will come around, just remember how far you've already come!

One thing I have been learning is that even the hard to shave spots get a little easier each time. There are some spots I have a real hard time with, but they are getting a little less bad each time I shave.

That jawline will come around, just remember how far you've already come!

Indeed practice (and a little experimentation) make perfect!

Update for yesterday's shave.

Shave #36
Date:
10/23/2018
Brush: The Purist Satin Tip 22mm

Missed a shave on Monday, I was just far too busy. For yesterday I had a nice 2 pass shave and I'm really enjoying these 2 pass shaves. My goal is to get the ATG pass to become as fluid as the WTG and XTG passes... Which could still be improved on, but are getting pretty good.

WTG + XTG with one small nick near my chin. DFS everywhere but that darned jawline, which was CCS. Zero aftershave burn and another shave in the bag. These good shaves are starting to come along more often than not, I'm really starting to notice (and feel) how much the practice is paying off.

Since I missed a shave that means I also missed a chance to use one of these 16 synthetics... Which I only have for 2 weeks. So in an attempt to try them all I'm going to go for a double shave today. I've got the day off and since it's raining, I can't get much done on my to-do list. I'll shave here, pretty soon and then again tonight. I'm going to keep them at 2 passes to try to avoid irritation.

2 shaves today? Best of luck - I hope it works out for you better than it has for me!
We shall see.

Shave #37
Date:
10/24/2018
Brush: L'Occitan Plisson 22mm

A quick 2 pass shave, this time using the L'Occitan Plisson (which was not what I was expecting). I got a phone call that I couldn't ignore, right before lathering up. So I had to re-do my prep.

One small touchdown on my neck, barely visible. DFS with a CCS jawline, with no burn again. We'll see how tonight goes. Tonight I'll be using the last of the 22mm brushes, the Muhle Silvertip VI.

Shave #38
Date:
10/24/2018
Brush: Muhle Silvertip VI 22mm

Second shave today. 2 passes, no nicks and just a little burn. I did WTG+ATG on my cheeks, but WTG+XTG everywhere else. It went pretty smoothly, DFS everywhere with BBS on the cheeks. It probably helps that there wasn't much to shave. We'll see tomorrow if my face is still happy about it.

Your Proraso shaves really inspired me. I have worked it harder and really focused. It will deliver a great, straight shave. Thanks!

Your Proraso shaves really inspired me. I have worked it harder and really focused. It will deliver a great, straight shave. Thanks!

Depending on how pick one is, there really are very few shaving soaps that won’t deliver you a decent open blade shave these days.

Depending on how pick one is, there really are very few shaving soaps that won’t deliver you a decent open blade shave these days.

I completely agree. But to hear some tell it you have to use some idiot proof, slicker than donkey snot artisan uber soap to get a slick lather. Not there’s anything wrong with that. But the classics are classic for a reason. I’ve had an enjoyable week with the Proraso.

I completely agree. But to hear some tell it you have to use some idiot proof, slicker than donkey snot artisan uber soap to get a slick lather. Not there’s anything wrong with that. But the classics are classic for a reason. I’ve had an enjoyable week with the Proraso.
I'll probably try one of those donkey snot soaps some day, but for now the Proraso is doing just fine. It took some time and experimenting to figure out how to get the lather right though. I think that's mostly because I was still learning about lathering and what my preferences are. The Proraso gets the job done, it's fairly cheap, smells great and is easy to work with... Yeah, it probably could be a bit slicker, but I've been very pleased with it.

Shave #39
Date:
10/25/2018
Brush: Vie Long Silvertip Extra Soft 23mm

Had a quick shave last night, but didn't have time to post anything. Another 2 pass shave, ending in DFS with CCS under the jaw. No real cuts, but I did treetop a bump on me neck which bled a little bit. I had more aftershave burn than normal but not bad, I've definitely had much worse. I think I'll go back to 3 passes tomorrow, there doesn't seem to be an easy way to approach the jawline and get better than CCS without going ATG. If there is a way, I haven't found it.

I'll probably try one of those donkey snot soaps some day, but for now the Proraso is doing just fine. It took some time and experimenting to figure out how to get the lather right though. I think that's mostly because I was still learning about lathering and what my preferences are. The Proraso gets the job done, it's fairly cheap, smells great and is easy to work with... Yeah, it probably could be a bit slicker, but I've been very pleased with it.

I hope that didn’t come across too rabid :001_302:. I was posting after a really good shave and kinda stoked. I have a few artisan soaps too, but the classics work. Chris is right, most soaps will work if you know how to dial them in.

I hope that didn’t come across too rabid :001_302:. I was posting after a really good shave and kinda stoked. I have a few artisan soaps too, but the classics work. Chris is right, most soaps will work if you know how to dial them in.
Not at all. I'm glad your having some good shaves with the Proraso. There's nothing wrong with being stoked about a good shave :cornut:

Shave #40
Date:
10/28/2018
Prep: Hot Shower + Proraso Red Pre/Post Balm
Brush: Omega Hi-Brush 24mm

So I unintentionally took 2 days off, so this shave made me a little nervous. I was expecting skiopski and tugging, but to my surprise I didn't experience any. I starting to think that blade maintenance is the #1 most important factor in getting s good shave. I used to slack off on my maintenance, but now that I'm taking much better care of my blade, most of the problems I had previously experienced seem to be vanishing. My technique still needs improvement to get a closer shave, but a sharp blade is definitely the key to comfort... And to think, mine still pales in comparison to others' here.

I had planned on a 3 pass shave, but after spending too long enjoying a hot shower, I didn't have the time for it. I made sure to get plenty of prep in by steaming you the bathroom washing my face last and letting the soap set in for awhile on my face before washing it off. After the shower I didn't dry my face off and then I applied the pre/post to set in while I stropped on leather and built a lather.

2 pass shave WTG and XTG. That first pass cut through the 2 day growth like butter. I actually found myself checking the lather on the blade multiple times to make sure I was actually cutting hair lol. After the shave was done I reached for the AS while thinking "this is going to hurt", because I had figured if it cut through so easily, maybe I applied too much orepress or too steep of an angle and scraped. Literally ZERO burn and a DFS shave everywhere! I'd say today was a great success and hopefully the next time I miss a shave or two, I can replicate it.

Question for members:
Do synthetic brushes need to soak? I've been soaking these while I prep and this time I soaked it while I was in the shower, but I saw something the other day that said sythetics don't need it.

Top Bottom