What's new

An unconventional way to get BBS on the neck

Just started to use a SE. 3rd go tonight. Probably too soon to start experimenting and I dont think it will work on my next. However it got me thinking and I realized on my second pass with a cartrige I would put my shin down and go from my cheak area to under my jaw as it would push the stubble out. Which I see a couple of you have menchioned. Think I am going to have to give this ago with the SE under the shin rather than the neck. :w00t:

I just resumed straight razor shaving 51 years after my dad taught me when I was 16. I gave it up then because I preferred to sleep in. Now, 51 years later and retired, I enjoy a relaxed shave complete with shower, hot towels, face oil, lather, etc. Being an OCD fellow, I have five straight razors and two more on order but will stop at seven; two are 5/8"; the rest, 6/8" which I prefer.

I'm lucky in that my neck hair and that on my jaw line all grows in the same directions: E-W on the right side; W-E on the left. Shaving N-S is more like WTG, primarily in the center of my neck from my chin down to my adam's apple. S-N is CTG but to get a super smoothly shaved neck I need to shave ATG. I've heard advice against shaving with the blade parallel to one's neck (i.e., perpendicular to the floor, as it is so likely to produce a cut if not a slice. I also saw a video where the shaver did shave very carefully with the blade in the perpendicular. His whiskers were both fine and light. Mine are wiry, evenly distributed and dense. I've tried J-hooks but that doesn't get it all. I'm not afraid to shave my neck from S-N and have done so without cuts. So, do I dare violate two "rules" and cross my hand across my face so I can see both the nose and the blade's cutting edge to shave the opposite side (I am ambidextrous) AND hold the razor's blade parallel to my neck which is perpendicular to the floor? Thanks for your advice in advance, regardless of what you recommend.
Cheers, Mike Slate

Last edited:
I've been doing this under my chin for a long time but I've never j-hooked but I'm definitely going to try it , the hair on my neck grows from my Adams apple to my ear so ATG for me on my neck is ear to Adams and I always get a bit of irritation and there a spot on the right of my Adams apple just above it that I can never get smooth cud I have to stretch it to move it but I still feel stubble there one it relaxes so I'm gunna try and see if I can find a way to j-hooked it while it's relaxed anyway thanks for the thread it definitely is stimulating some new ideas for some problem areas that I have just been exerting a less than BBS shave on

I've been doing something like what you are describing for awhile. It's the best way for me to get a smooth neck without irritation. I would urge anyone who has a troublesome neck to try this for a few times

I recently came across this thread, and have tried it for the past two shaves. I am very impressed! I can now get a DFS with just two passes, and minimal touch ups. Thanks to the members above who "bumped" this thread into my sight!

I am bumping this thread in hopes that someone knows of any video's on the bullfrogging technique... I have looked all over YouTube but can't find any...

I tried this method today. I have tried "bullfrogging" before, but didn't care for it. I'd call this more than bullfrogging.

The whiskers on my neck tend to swirl, but they mostly grow west to east. I usually tighten the skin on my neck, and I do a north-south pass, then 2 east to west passes and a clean-up on the neck. I have had lots of weepers and irritation from this, but I figured it was my lot in life.

Tried the OP's method today, with my chin down and my double-chin relaxed. I was DFS after the first pass, and I only did a 3rd pass because I had another pass to do on may face. Hell, my neck was shaved closer than my face, which has never happened before.

WOW!

Dunno if this was a first-time fluke or not, so I will continue to use this method for at least a week, and if it continues, it will be my way of shaving my neck from now on.

((I used a Weishi razor with a Voshkhod blade on 3 days of growth, with Stirling's Electric Sheep soap.))

Will try this the next time I shave with a DE razor. I have a lot of trouble on my neck because the hair grows every which way and I use to get a lot of weepers there. I have found over time, I can get a good close shave there with a mild razor and riding the cap. I do usually pull the skin tight there to try and get BBS, but have never tried "bullfrogging". Sounds like a good technique to try. Thanks for the post.

I tried this for the first time today and it really works! Amazing! I just did the whole "put your chin down to create a big fat roll" thing and wow. Perfect BBS with no irritation at all.

Thanks for sharing...this technique is a keeper, gents!

I sort of tried your approach at shaving my neck this morning. And I have to say that while my left side of my neck was just DFS, the right side of my neck was BBS and even the left side feels a little closer than when I stretch my skin. It think you are on to something here. Thanks for telling us about it.

Howdy B&Bers, what I am about to share with you is strongly YMMV.

I have long been in search of a BBS shave on my neck. I never shave ATG as weepers and ingrown hairs are commonly the result. I have what I would consider sensitive skin, and medium-coarse dark hair.
I was in the experimenting mood the other week while shaving after having just read a thread (now which I cannot find) that had a link to an article about a street barber in India I believe.
The street barber mentioned that instead of pulling the skin tight on his clients faces to perform a shave, he pushed the skin toward the direction of the blade, creating a loose roll of skin which he then shaved. He claimed this helped the hair stand up better and was easier to cut.
This, baffled me. We have always been told to hold the skin tight while we shave!
I decided I would try this type of technique on my neck (which is pretty much the only place on my face I have issues).
So instead of lifting my chin up to tighten my skin on my neck, I tilted my head down and to the right slightly (while shaving the right side). This caused my neck skin to relax. I'm not a big guy at all, and I tilted my head down till I almost got a small skin roll. I took my Progress on #2 and started buffing away ATG (south) and expected to start feeling the familiar warmth and burn with immediate weepers of my usual ATG pass.
To my amazement I didn't feel a darn thing. I had to double check to make sure my razor was cutting the hairs. Indeed it was, and what a fantastic job it did. I couldn't believe it. Had I stumbled upon my holy grail shaving technique? Yes!
I have continued this way every shave since on my neck, and each time it has gone by without a hitch. It takes a little while to get used to doing something so against the book, but it works for me.

If you have sensitive neck skin and are interested in doing an ATG pass, give this technique a try. But please, be very careful. You should know right away if this is going to work for you. For those of you that try, let me know what you think.
Sorry to all for bumping an old thread but neck area is something I rarely succeed in BBS. I will try this tomorrow. For those that can vouch for this, can it be achieved with any razor from low mild up to aggressive?

No need to apologize for bumping what appears to be a very useful thread! I'm going to try this myself. I would think it would work best with a milder razor.

No need to apologize for bumping what appears to be a very useful thread! I'm going to try this myself. I would think it would work best with a milder razor.

Thank you. My neck area is so inconsistent. One time it'll be DFS no irritation and then next time, better but small and manageable irritation, despite doing everything the same way. Hopefully this resolves it.

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
There is certainly some merit in this for me. In my case if I tilt my head back so the skin is taut either side of my Adam's apple and under my chin, the skin can feel perfectly smooth in all directions. When I tilt my head back down so the skin becomes looser, only then I can feel stubble in the ATG direction. If I shave that area with my chin down rather than tilting my chin up to stretch the skin, then it definitely achieves a closer shave. I routinely do this with a DE but certainly not with a straight or AC razor.

Last edited:
Well, this will definitely be the way forward for me now. Fantastic close shave and no feedback from aftershave at all. Even my previous good ones gave me a little burn. Did WTG and XTG as I usually do but used this technique at the end ATG. I didn't get BBS but very very close. I reckon I will get it next time as I went very light and cautious for the first time. I hope it works for others too.

There is certainly some merit in this for me. In my case if I tilt my head back so the skin is taut either side of my Adam's apple and under my chin, the skin can feel perfectly smooth in all directions. When I tilt my head back down so the skin becomes looser, only then I can feel stubble in the ATG direction. If I shave that area with my chin down rather than tilting my chin up to stretch the skin, then it definitely achieves a closer shave. I routinely do this with a DE but certainly not with a straight or AC razor.
That almost seems counterintuitive or backwards but I've seen videos where that's exactly what the guy does.
I might have to try that a little bit and be careful not to get some skin caught in the gap.
I like it when threads are brought back to life.

That almost seems counterintuitive or backwards but I've seen videos where that's exactly what the guy does.
I might have to try that a little bit and be careful not to get some skin caught in the gap.
I like it when threads are brought back to life.

I agree but luckily the area I have issues with, either side of the adams apple, sit perfectly when skin is relaxed.

Top Bottom