What's new

An idea for a new type of "gentlemanly restraint"

Gentlemen:

I have a lot of respect for the gentlemen who join in the yearly restraints. But some of the rules seem a little arbitrary to me.

From my perspective, the main purpose of a restraint is not to waste money. So I came up with an idea for a different type of "restraint." I call it the "2020 Spend no Money" restraint. (Could use 2020 SNM for short, if you wish.) The idea behind it is to get through the entire year without spending any money on shaving gear. Note that this is NOT AT ALL the same as not ACQUIRING or not BUYING any shaving gear.

The rules for the 2020 Spend no Money restraint are simple. You can buy, receive, trade, etc., ANYTHING you want. No restrictions whatsoever. You can buy LOTS of stuff if you want to. You just have to figure out a way to finance it that doesn't require spending money; i.e., you fund your new purchases with SALES.

Let's say you want to buy the new Stirling stainless steel razor that is going to be released in 2020. For the sake of discussion, let's say the price turns out to be $150 (I have no idea what the actual price will be). You have a Gillette Fatboy in perfect condition that you haven't used in two years, a Montblanc ballpoint that you haven't used since the 1990s. You sell the Fatboy for $55 and you sell the Montblanc pen for $120. You spend $15 on postage. You can then purchase the Stirling razor and you are up $10 (this can be used for other shaving-related purchases).

As the example illustrates, you do not have to sell just shaving gear, as the point of the restraint is NOT necessarily to reduce the size of your den (although if you want to do that, it is certainly not discouraged; I do want to do that). The point is to NOT SPEND ANY MONEY on shaving for the entire year. Turning a profit would be awesome, too, but is not necessary. All expenses should be tracked; money spent on postage counts. Trading is also, obviously, allowed, but postage money spent on sending a traded item counts toward the balance sheet and must be offset.

If at the end of 2020 your balance sheet is at zero or you come out ahead, you have successfully completed the restraint.

What do you guys think? Any interest in this? I really want new gear, but I already have too much, so I came up with this idea mostly to motivate myself to sell stuff that I am no longer using and don't really need. Also, I would love to shave for an entire year completely FREE, but I do NOT want to quit acquiring new stuff. This restraint allows me to accomplish both goals.

Let me know what you think. I, for one, am in!

2020 Spend no Money Restraint
1) kingfisher

Reactions: Avi

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Gentlemen:

I have a lot of respect for the gentlemen who join in the yearly restraints. But some of the rules seem a little arbitrary to me.

From my perspective, the main purpose of a restraint is not to waste money. So I came up with an idea for a different type of "restraint." I call it the "2020 Spend no Money" restraint. (Could use 2020 SNM for short, if you wish.) The idea behind it is to get through the entire year without spending any money on shaving gear. Note that this is NOT AT ALL the same as not ACQUIRING or not BUYING any shaving gear.

The rules for the 2020 Spend no Money restraint are simple. You can buy, receive, trade, etc., ANYTHING you want. No restrictions whatsoever. You can buy LOTS of stuff if you want to. You just have to figure out a way to finance it that doesn't require spending money; i.e., you fund your new purchases with SALES.

Let's say you want to buy the new Stirling stainless steel razor that is going to be released in 2020. For the sake of discussion, let's say the price turns out to be $150 (I have no idea what the actual price will be). You have a Gillette Fatboy in perfect condition that you haven't used in two years, a Montblanc ballpoint that you haven't used since the 1990s. You sell the Fatboy for $55 and you sell the Montblanc pen for $120. You spend $15 on postage. You can then purchase the Stirling razor and you are up $10 (this can be used for other shaving-related purchases).

As the example illustrates, you do not have to sell just shaving gear, as the point of the restraint is NOT necessarily to reduce the size of your den (although if you want to do that, it is certainly not discouraged; I do want to do that). The point is to NOT SPEND ANY MONEY on shaving for the entire year. Turning a profit would be awesome, too, but is not necessary. All expenses should be tracked; money spent on postage counts. Trading is also, obviously, allowed, but postage money spent on sending a traded item counts toward the balance sheet and must be offset.

If at the end of 2020 your balance sheet is at zero or you come out ahead, you have successfully completed the restraint.

What do you guys think? Any interest in this? I really want new gear, but I already have too much, so I came up with this idea mostly to motivate myself to sell stuff that I am no longer using and don't really need. Also, I would love to shave for an entire year completely FREE, but I do NOT want to quit acquiring new stuff. This restraint allows me to accomplish both goals.

Let me know what you think. I, for one, am in!

2020 Spend no Money Restraint
1) kingfisher

I'll think about it, but it certainly sounds like a great idea. I have so much stuff I don't use (shaving and otherwise).

A former member sold unused items or unwanted items he found in his garage to fund his brush buying addiction. I have no idea why he disappeared from B&B.

Happy shaves,

Jim

I think people may have different goals for the restraint. Some don't want to spend money. Others want to take the focus off acquisition for awhile.

Shaving should be about something other than being a good little consumer. It is important to know when you have enough and don't need more.

I'll think about it, but it certainly sounds like a great idea. I have so much stuff I don't use (shaving and otherwise).

A former member sold unused items or unwanted items he found in his garage to fund his brush buying addiction. I have no idea why he disappeared from B&B.

Happy shaves,

Jim

I heard one day he sold his SWMBOs Mercedes.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
I think people may have different goals for the restraint. Some don't want to spend money. Others want to take the focus off acquisition for awhile.

Shaving should be about something other than being a good little consumer. It is important to know when you have enough and don't need more.

Either a very good idea or totally insane.

I heard one day he sold his SWMBOs Mercedes.

Oh, my, that would have been a fatality sure 'nuff.

Happy shaves,

Jim

I'm in. As long as no moronic rules like buying a picture of a razor to hang in your bathroom will knock you out.

2020 Spend no Money
1) kingfisher
2) Denko
3) Galaktus

CzechCzar

Use the Fat, Luke!
I'll go in. There needs to be A provision in the rules for restocking after restraint.

2020 Spend no Money
1) kingfisher
2) Denko
3) Galaktus
4) CzechCzar

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

You can buy LOTS of stuff if you want to. You just have to figure out a way to finance it that doesn't require spending money; i.e., you fund your new purchases with SALES.

I've done this very thing to rationalize and justify buying new ukuleles that I don't need. My 6th [probably final] uke is in the process of being built and should be making its way to me this month or next. I kind of look at it as a trade. I've been selling off books and CD box sets that have been collecting dust to finance my purchases. I think 4 of my 6 ukes were obtained this way.

I'm not in. I'm in the regular sabbatical for a different reason. It's not a matter of spending money for me, it's a matter of using up my surplus of supplies. I have multiple items that have been sitting on my shelf for years! The sabbatical has shown me that consumable shaving supplies last much longer than I thought they would, especially soaps. I don't have all that much stuff and I'm sure there are sabbatical participants who aspire to be where I'm at now and I bet I can go at least another year or two without having to buy anything.

I'm not in. I'm in the regular sabbatical for a different reason. It's not a matter of spending money for me, it's a matter of using up my surplus of supplies. I have multiple items that have been sitting on my shelf for years! The sabbatical has shown me that consumable shaving supplies last much longer than I thought they would, especially soaps. I don't have all that much stuff and I'm sure there are sabbatical participants who aspire to be where I'm at now and I bet I can go at least another year or two without having to buy anything.

You nailed it, Mike!

Folks join the more strict, original sabbatical, with all its stringent rules, for a myriad of reasons.

Some may be struggling with personal finances and fighting the urge of purchasing something that might cause distress financially or strain a relationship.

Others may simply recognize they’ve purchased far too many goods without recognizing how long they last. They become wasteful goods, ones that aren’t enjoyed or appreciated as they should be.

The idea of this parallel sabbatical is not a bad one. It will appeal to those who would like to restrain purchases while still being able to make them, which are out of bounds in the other.

But we should be respectful of the other sabbatical and it’s rules, as they are important guard rails for those who need them. I personally benefited greatly from it and the camaraderie that came along with it.

The most important question that only the individual can ask is, “What are my goals and how do I achieve them”? Some will fit here, some will fit there.

Good luck to all!

First update for me of the "2020, Spend No Money" restraint.

The purpose of the restraint for me, was primarily to shave free, but secondarily, it was to decrease my inventory of soaps and razors (primarily soaps). For a long time, I had 4-5 soaps total, and rotated freely among them. However, after awhile, I ended up with some odds and ends, samples, beta-testing soaps, PIF wins, etc., and suddenly had WAY more soaps that I really wanted. So, in addition to the "spend no money" mantra, I decided to 3017 some of the samples, beta-testers, etc., to get my soap supply back down to 4-5 soaps. If I ever get back there, I will begin rotating freely again.

So, here's how things have shaken out so far this year:

First, I have sold two razors, my Feather AS-D2 and a Canadian triangle-slot tech. So, I have reduced my DE inventory by two, and have banked some money that I can use (according to the original rules) to purchase shave supplies if I want to.

Second, I finished the first of several "odds and ends" soaps by 3017'ing it. I started doing so in late December and I just finished it on Saturday night. FYI is was a beta-soap by a forum member who called himself JetPilot. It was a fantastic soap except that I didn't like the scent at all, so I was glad to finish it off on Saturday night and recycle the container.

This morning I shaved with the next "sample" soap in the queue; this one was Dragonsbeard soap. When I first started lathering it there was a bunch of foam; it was very bubbly. I wasn't sure it would really come together. But with a little bit of patience, it developed into a very nice lather and I had a comfortable two-pass shave with my Feather SS shavette, with a little clean-up with my Stahly on an iKon bamboo handle. Very nice. The scent on this soap is fantastic. I only have enough for probably 3-5 shaves, so I will be moving on from this to a Stirling sample that probably has 10 more shaves in it. Getting great lathers and great shaves whilst paring down the den, and shaving for free! Gotta love it.

Others in the restraint, feel free to update us if you would like. I am loving it, and am planning on liquidating some more of my hardware and continuing to pare down my software. I am probably never going to be a minimalist, but I want to get it back to being reasonable.

I like the concept! I’m already in the leap year and decade sabbaticals so i’ll not be joining but were i not i’d definitely be joining. I have a feeling that if i get knocked out of either sabbatical i’m in it’ll be over a shave related gift down the line, so i like the ability to still acquire some stuff via pif, gift or selling off some of your random junk.

Second update in "2020, spend no money" restraint.

My plans were to buy nothing unless it is paid for via sale of existing stock, to sell some razors, and to 3017 my way through odds and ends soaps until I am back to a core rotation of 4-5 soaps.

I'm doing well! I have bought nothing. I have now sold three of my razors. I have completely finished off two of my odds and ends soaps, and have only one more shave remaining in a third.

So, after tonight's shave, i will be down three razors, down three soaps, and making money on shaving for the year, having not spent any of the money I brought in with razor sales. Win-win-win.

Kingfisher, I'm a little late to the party but I think this is a great idea. I have a couple of questions...

1) Is it too late to join?
2) Do the funds from sales need to be collected before purchases?

Assuming the answer to the first question is "no", I have participated in a PIF, trade, and purchase this year. I know how much I spent on each including postage so I know how much I'm in the red. I believe I can easily get back to a zero balance with the sale of unused soaps, NIB brushes, and a few razors I had already planned to sell.

If it's too late to join, no problem.

Top Bottom