What's new

Am I ready to shave with a straight razor?

I would encourage you to give it a go.

If you're like most people on this board, you have some kind of acquisition disorder(s) and you like learning new things. Shaving with a straight will scratch both of those itches. With DE, I felt like I had pretty much topped out after three years. With straights, especially considering honing, I will probably be learning up until the point when it is time to retire from straights (when my hand gets too shaky or my arm gets too weak, something like that).

Regarding safety, I will only comment on my experiences. With the DE, the most problems that I had was a rough shave in the beginning. Excluding weepers, I never cut my face with a DE, even when I was learning. With the straight, I gave myself two decent cuts the very first week. They weren't horrible - no blood flying all over the place and they healed in a few days and I could shave over the cuts the next day with the blade perpendicular to them. Since then, no more blood drawn.

I hope you try it. Sales are going to ramp up here in the US for Black Friday. I can't think of a better time to buy a whole bunch of new stuff!

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
But never the most challenging parts. :001_tt2:

Just because you struggle with those bits, doesn't mean that us beardies do too :p

The area that has probably given me the most grief over the years, is the corner of the jawbone, just below the ear. I think I've had more cuts and missed clumps of stubble it that area than anywhere else on my face, and the most irritation has been at the lowest extent of the beard, where there is (even still) downy hair between where the beard finishes, and the chest hair starts. It seems Clay and I both shave those areas.

I'm scared, but I'd like to try a straight razor slowly.

Being ready to try a straight, isn't about your skill level being ready, but about your mindset being ready. I bought my straights several years before I was truly ready to use them. I ummed and ahhed, and talked with others who were tentatively trying it, and dabbled with doing the cheeks occasionally, but never really committed.

One day, after having signed up here for a while, I decided to go for it, and did quite well. My skills hadn't changed from when I'd bought them, as I'd already got a couple of years experience wet shaving. All that had become ready was the mindset.

When you're ready, you'll not need to ask us. You'll already know :)

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
Do you mean DE razor shaving is similar to straight razor shaving?

How do I best answer this...?

The way I use a straight razor, is very similar to the way I already used a double edged razor. Thin runny lather, very light touch, etc etc. That might not be the same for other shavers.

Different people will need to make different changes to their technique, based on what habits (good and bad) are in their current shaving methods, and what techniques their individual beard needs, so there is no straight forward yes or no to your question. Sorry.

Just because you struggle with those bits, doesn't mean that us beardies do too :p

The area that has probably given me the most grief over the years, is the corner of the jawbone, just below the ear. I think I've had more cuts and missed clumps of stubble it that area than anywhere else on my face, and the most irritation has been at the lowest extent of the beard, where there is (even still) downy hair between where the beard finishes, and the chest hair starts. It seems Clay and I both shave those areas.

Being ready to try a straight, isn't about your skill level being ready, but about your mindset being ready. I bought my straights several years before I was truly ready to use them. I ummed and ahhed, and talked with others who were tentatively trying it, and dabbled with doing the cheeks occasionally, but never really committed.

One day, after having signed up here for a while, I decided to go for it, and did quite well. My skills hadn't changed from when I'd bought them, as I'd already got a couple of years experience wet shaving. All that had become ready was the mindset.

When you're ready, you'll not need to ask us. You'll already know :)
I could do the jaw bones blindfolded. S standing on one leg.

Do you mean DE razor shaving is similar to straight razor shaving?
You can have a wonderful mental outlook and still cut yourself. Think angle. What does it take to cut meat? The answer is the right/correct angle. To shave with a SR, lay the blade flat against your face and only raise the spine off your face sufficient to cut the hair.

You're ready as soon as you want to try it. I used a DE as a teen, but came to straights from years with carts and disposables.

I could do the jaw bones blindfolded. S standing on one leg.

Without pictures it didn't happen ...

I started SRs with a goatee. Then I shaved off the goatee do the whole enchilada. For me, the chin want so tough. I find the S-curve much more challenging to get close and clean every time.

But that's me. Everyone is different and will find different areas more or less challenging. There is no one area that is most challenging to shave for everyone, but everyone has a most challenging area.

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
Sadly, memories of my difficulties and how I overcame them are beginning to fade. The only advice I can give is to just do it and basically you are going to have to figure it out yourself for the most part. If you want it enough, you will. If not, you won’t. It certainly isn’t a free ride but if you make it you will find it was worth the trip.

Without pictures it didn't happen ...

I started SRs with a goatee. Then I shaved off the goatee do the whole enchilada. For me, the chin want so tough. I find the S-curve much more challenging to get close and clean every time.

But that's me. Everyone is different and will find different areas more or less challenging. There is no one area that is most challenging to shave for everyone, but everyone has a most challenging area.

I've thought about growing something over the winter, but right now I am still developing muscle memory or the middle face areas. Plus, I am really enjoying using a SR.

I would bet that majority of shavers would find "goatee area" more difficult to shave than the rest of their face, whether using straights or something else. Going under your nose, around your lips, side of your mouth and, down the chin. Not only is "real estate" limited, which is more of an issue with straight than DE, but often this is the most dense and most coarse growth.

Perhaps generalizing a bit, which, I'll admit I shouldn't do, but for sure that's the case for me.

Most common advice I read on this forum for people starting with straight always was "start with your cheeks only".
I personally believe that's for a good reason.

I would bet that majority of shavers would find "goatee area" more difficult to shave than the rest of their face, whether using straights or something else. Going under your nose, around your lips, side of your mouth and, down the chin. Not only is "real estate" limited, which is more of an issue with straight than DE, but often this is the most dense and most coarse growth.

Perhaps generalizing a bit, which, I'll admit I shouldn't do, but for sure that's the case for me.

Most common advice I read on this forum for people starting with straight always was "start with your cheeks only".
I personally believe that's for a good reason.
No, I agree. My beard below the nose and chin is very different from the sides. I make three passes and never try to accomplish too much with any pass. The result has been very good.

Fortunately, 99.99% of my facial hair grows under my chin, my jaws, my nose, and my lower lip.
It doesn't grow to the left and right of my jaws.

A few hairs grow above adam's apple. But, I can shave above it while protecting it with my fingers.

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
Totally up to you. If you feel the call, answer it.

You could try a cheap shavette and some good DE blades. I highly recommend Feathers. READ READ READ or your first shave will have you looking like you have been sorting wildcats all morning. Very irritable and indignant wildcats.

Top Bottom