What's new

Am I ready to shave with a straight razor?

Am I ready to shave with a straight razor? Am I going to get cuts?

Yes and yes. Go for it. I took the plunge about nine months ago and am so glad I did. It just took wetshaving to a whole other level for me. You will develop your technique very quickly and then will continue to slowly improve with each shave. Good luck.

A couple of years of straight razor shaving so far. Early on I looked like a 14 rear old learning to shave. Cuts and razor burn. Things are better now. Worst cut was on my knuckles. As to the "safety " razor. I have yet to try any of mine. Have a few old Gilletes and a few boxes of blades. I am honestly scared of slicing my face open. I do believe handling whatever tool you work with improves over time. There are many ways to skin a cat. Good luck

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
If you're interested in it, go for it. The first time I was about to touch a straight to my face my hand shook for a second. :biggrin1:

Do like a lot of people advise...start with small patches like below the sideburns, then finish the shave with what you usually use. Keep expanding the territory you shave after you get more comfortable. Keep the skin stretched so you don't push up a "wave" of loose skin in front of the blade. The chin was the hardest part for me...it's not a straight shot.

I don't have very many straights, but my favorites are a PcPherson Brothers Silver Steel from the late 1800s/early 1900s and a Simmons Hardware one from the 1930s, with the Simmons Hardware one my favorite. I like them better than my new production Dovo I got several years ago.

Royal Straight Razor Keen Kutter 1900-1940 | Collectors Weekly

STRAZORS.com - all about classic razors - McPherson Brothers Cutlers-Glasgow.

My first straight I handled like

(O_O;) < the detonator on an atom bomb > (O_O;)

Now, after 3+ years, I practically juggle with them. The worst cut I've ever got was on my knuckle, and received a nasty cut on my thumb from a "safety" razor, a Neo tilt.

Hopefully @marshmellow will ignore the negatives and non-helpful posts to considering moving forward into learning to use and maintain a SR. If it were that hard, there would not be so many used vintage SR's.

Some of the non helpful, negative posts remind me of being told that if I had never swung a golf club at 40 I should not consider taking up the game. Within a year I was shooting consistently in the 90's and eventually broke 80.

If you want to do something find someone encouraging and helpful, then practice.

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
Some people apparently feel more macho saying how difficult it is and it takes some kind of special abilities only real men have. BS, it is not that difficult to learn. Pay no attention to naysayers and just do it. Do you have whiskers? Yes. Then you are ready. For goodness sakes, before DEs came about 15 year old boys did it. You will find all the help you need on this board - just ignore the negative crap and do it. Chances are you will have a lot of fun and end up having a very pleasurable way to shave.

Some people apparently feel more macho saying how difficult it is and it takes some kind of special abilities only real men have. BS, it is not that difficult to learn. Pay no attention to naysayers and just do it. Do you have whiskers? Yes. Then you are ready. For goodness sakes, before DEs came about 15 year old boys did it. You will find all the help you need on this board - just ignore the negative crap and do it. Chances are you will have a lot of fun and end up having a very pleasurable way to shave.

On the rare occasions that my shaving with an SR comes up in 'regular circles', people tend to say "ah, macho man!" or something similar. They are pretty disappointed when told that for a lot of us it has to do with sensitive skin in one form or another, though one friend did memorably describe it as "Russian roulette in the bathroom", lol.

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
On the rare occasions that my shaving with an SR comes up in 'regular circles', people tend to say "ah, macho man!" or something similar. They are pretty disappointed when told that for a lot of us it has to do with sensitive skin in one form or another, though one friend did memorably describe it as "Russian roulette in the bathroom", lol.
If it were that bad, the planet wouldn’t be as well poputas it is now.

It's funny isn't it that such a delicate precise instrument which requires such care and attention should be seen as macho. I have never found it such.

It's perceived a bit more manly mostly among those who don't do it because of assumed risk associated with it.

I had several friends and family members ask "and why would you ever want to expose yourself to that kind of unnecessary risk on daily basis?". Their logic being exactly what I mentioned earlier in this thread, very sharp open blade and 1000s of shaves over, say 4 years period, chances are you will mess up 1, maybe even 2 every 1000 times. :D :D :D

Besides, some blades do end up looking a bit more manly than others, like this Harrison for example. :D

I agree with the majority ..... just do it. I started with a Feather SS. Added a delightful new dimension to my shaving regimen. Yes, I cut myself a couple times. Worst one was on my thumb due to sloppy transfer from right to left hand ....... duh.

Start slow, watch videos, pay attention, take your time, and enjoy the new adventure.

I want to change things a bit and try a straight razor.

Am I ready to shave with a straight razor? Am I going to get cuts?

Yes and yes. :001_smile

The main thing with a straight razor is that it is a learned skill. You must decide if you want to use a straight razor. If you are determined, then you must give it at least 30 complete shaves. At 30, your hands are familiar with using a straight razor. Your technique is better and the nicks less. This will be the point where things start to get better and you think to yourself that you can, in fact, do this. Your confidence will be high and your shaves will get better after that. At 100 you will be decent with a straight. It took me 200+ to begin getting better shaves than my DEs. If you are ok with this, then you are ready.

My tips.
1.Buy a truly shave ready razor, not the Bay. Post a WTB in the BST section.
2.Buy a cheap strop. You will ruin your first one learning to strop. again BST
3.Take your time and be conscious of angle.
4. Use a cream instead of soap. Since your shaves are longer, creams seem to retain moisture better and keep from drying. Once you're better/faster, use soaps or creams. You will be focused on your technique that it is easy to not notice the dry lather on your face.
5. At first, do one pass with a straight and then finish with a DE. Your shaves will still be good and you will not be discouraged. There is no shame to doing touchups with a DE.
6.Do not go for BBS using only a straight. This will lead to irritation. BBS shaves with only a straight, will come with improved technique and much later.

Good luck

@steveclarkus - no worries at all, that's what forums are for. I wasn't talking about what each of us do, I was just talking what potentially each of us "could" do with each tool. I surprised myself by a lack of cutting myself early on, but recently had two minor cuts which reminded me that I got too comfortable with straights. Hasn't happen in years with DE, no matter how much I was rushing or shaving on auto-pilot (and I use Feather, one of the sharpest, almost exclusively, with fairly decent blade gap in my favorite DE).

Yeah, both can hurt, but one has a protective guard and is not as wide/long.

No more derailing, sorry. @marshmellow let us know when you start?
People in straight section are incredibly helpful with advice and guidance, crazy how great the forum is.

Try picking up accidentally dropped DE blades up off of the ground. They can de just as dangerous as SRs, or more so when not in the handle.

But to OP, you should be ready when you feel like giving it a try, No DE experience required.

Yes and yes. :001_smile

The main thing with a straight razor is that it is a learned skill. You must decide if you want to use a straight razor. If you are determined, then you must give it at least 30 complete shaves. At 30, your hands are familiar with using a straight razor. Your technique is better and the nicks less. This will be the point where things start to get better and you think to yourself that you can, in fact, do this. Your confidence will be high and your shaves will get better after that. At 100 you will be decent with a straight. It took me 200+ to begin getting better shaves than my DEs. If you are ok with this, then you are ready.

My tips.
1.Buy a truly shave ready razor, not the Bay. Post a WTB in the BST section.
2.Buy a cheap strop. You will ruin your first one learning to strop. again BST
3.Take your time and be conscious of angle.
4. Use a cream instead of soap. Since your shaves are longer, creams seem to retain moisture better and keep from drying. Once you're better/faster, use soaps or creams. You will be focused on your technique that it is easy to not notice the dry lather on your face.
5. At first, do one pass with a straight and then finish with a DE. Your shaves will still be good and you will not be discouraged. There is no shame to doing touchups with a DE.
6.Do not go for BBS using only a straight. This will lead to irritation. BBS shaves with only a straight, will come with improved technique and much later.

Good luck
I applaud most of your suggestions, but auctions are good and affordable place to find excellent razors. One should get the best strop available. Even the experienced can nick one. And, use a well hydrated, slick lather and brush.

I applaud most of your suggestions, but auctions are good and affordable place to find excellent razors. One should get the best strop available. Even the experienced can nick one. And, use a well hydrated, slick lather and brush.

So you would recommend a $250+ Cordovan strop as a first strop because the new user can afford it? And when he ruins that one, buy another one? I am not saying an experienced user can not nick a strop. What I can say is, as my stropping technique has improved I have not nicked my strops. This is a common experience with new straight razor users. As a new user, you may not nick your strop. This is not unheard of, but your odds of nicking a strop are higher when you're learning to strop.

As far as the Bay, it is a great place to pick up a razor. Unfortunealty, it is a place to make a profit. Many Bay sellers are not straight razor shavers. They are selling stuff to make $, nothing wrong with that. The issue is you must trust the Bay seller that the razor is truly shave ready. As a new user, you also must identify things like hone wear, uneven bevels, blades not closing center, scales not original, poor repinning, and other issues. If given a choice, I would buy from a veteran B&B member that has been using a straight razor for years, over any Bay seller.

It is real easy for some of us on the north side of the learning curve to forget how frustrating the south side can be.

Not speaking for anyone but myself, I learn a lot better, and feel more able to accomplish if I know that my frustrations and setbacks are normal. When I cut my lip, and razor burn my face, and generally had a miserable shave, I would likely have given up entirely if I had believed that I was unique in how badly my skin hated the experience.

When I tell new shavers that they are going to have a rough time, it is in the spirit of helping them know what to expect, and that it is normal.

If I come off as trying to be macho or special, then I have quite severely missed the mark, and need to rethink my approach.

Top Bottom