What's new

Am I ready to shave with a straight razor?

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
Your posts of your experience are not what where my post was directed at all. Your posts are what are needed to prevent discouragement. I am referring to the smugness offered by some. You are showing that the difficulties can be overcome with persistence and you should continue your posts. They are important. Your posts are not “macho” in the least and are appreciated.

So you would recommend a $250+ Cordovan strop as a first strop because the new user can afford it? And when he ruins that one, buy another one?

I'm with you on this one, my advice is always something like "double what you think you should spend on your first straight" and do it right the first time, the rest would be "half what you think you should spend on your first strop"...:D

Over 13+ months, I've only ever so slightly nicked mine in two different spots (very top and very bottom on careless blade flip) it's super minor and barely noticeable, but am glad I didn't get the best strop I can afford as my first, no doubt.

Try picking up accidentally dropped DE blades up off of the ground. They can de just as dangerous as SRs, or more so when not in the handle.

See my previous potato peeler and chef's knife analogy, both can cut you, but one (open blade) could be devastating, same is true for straight razors.

I'm open minded usually...lol... but don't even know how you guys can debate this? :D

When I tell new shavers that they are going to have a rough time, it is in the spirit of helping them know what to expect, and that it is normal.

I think this is quite common sense and good advice, as these things can be one step forward and one or two back.
It's a hit and miss experience for first 10-30 shaves. You think you get it, then go back a bit, then have amazing shave... etc.. then it starts getting better all of the sudden, and eventually things fall in place.

So you would recommend a $250+ Cordovan strop as a first strop because the new user can afford it? And when he ruins that one, buy another one? I am not saying an experienced user can not nick a strop. What I can say is, as my stropping technique has improved I have not nicked my strops. This is a common experience with new straight razor users. As a new user, you may not nick your strop. This is not unheard of, but your odds of nicking a strop are higher when you're learning to strop.

As far as the Bay, it is a great place to pick up a razor. Unfortunealty, it is a place to make a profit. Many Bay sellers are not straight razor shavers. They are selling stuff to make $, nothing wrong with that. The issue is you must trust the Bay seller that the razor is truly shave ready. As a new user, you also must identify things like hone wear, uneven bevels, blades not closing center, scales not original, poor repinning, and other issues. If given a choice, I would buy from a veteran B&B member that has been using a straight razor for years, over any Bay seller.

I paid $25 for vintage/unused Illinois horse hide and fire hose linen strop. I have no need ever for a $250 strop. Before getting it I had never stropped before. I nicked it twice. The point further is, buying junk means buying twice. Get the best you can afford, take your time, and develop your skills.

I've bought wonderful razors for $10 that all I needed was to strop. I've been using a SR for a couple of months. All it takes is making friends here and following their suggestions and educating yourself on how to find quality tools.

It is real easy for some of us on the north side of the learning curve to forget how frustrating the south side can be.

Not speaking for anyone but myself, I learn a lot better, and feel more able to accomplish if I know that my frustrations and setbacks are normal. When I cut my lip, and razor burn my face, and generally had a miserable shave, I would likely have given up entirely if I had believed that I was unique in how badly my skin hated the experience.

When I tell new shavers that they are going to have a rough time, it is in the spirit of helping them know what to expect, and that it is normal.

If I come off as trying to be macho or special, then I have quite severely missed the mark, and need to rethink my approach.
I don't think you are coming off as macho at all and I understand you are trying to help. I've been using a SR for less than two months and have yet to cut myself making three passes every day. I learned using the Feather SS to take my time and make every move intentionally. When I have cut myself badly with a SE it was due to being careless with an 1930's Sheffield razor John Watts branded the Gleaner. It gleaned my aweful.

Good deal. I struggle a lot with social cues, and that is often quite magnified by the mode of communication in message boards, being primarily text based.

Thanks for the reassurance, but I don’t want to derail the OP’s thread either...

How about it @marshmellow - did you decide to join the dark side?

I paid $25 for vintage/unused Illinois horse hide and fire hose linen strop. I have no need ever for a $250 strop. Before getting it I had never stropped before. I nicked it twice. The point further is, buying junk means buying twice. Get the best you can afford, take your time, and develop your skills.

I've bought wonderful razors for $10 that all I needed was to strop. I've been using a SR for a couple of months. All it takes is making friends here and following their suggestions and educating yourself on how to find quality tools.
I will agree that buying junk means buying twice. I would never recommend someone to buy a cheap/junk strop. I believe we have a different idea of "the best you can afford". The beauty of this hobby is that there is something for every budget. If the most you can, or are willing to pay for a strop is $60, then I would recommend "maxing out" on a Tony Miller Plain strop at $55. When you nick it a few times, it will still function properly and will still be a great strop for years. Nicks seldom affect performance unless there are really deep or numerous.

A few days ago there was a new SR user that posted he wanted to buy his first strop. His two choices were well over $200. He obviously could afford a really nice strop. Having been a member here for a few years, I can say that not everyone has the same sized wallet. Again, I say that there is something for everyone. You also do not have to spend a fortune to get great shaves. The shave from a $30 setup can be as good as a shave from a $1500 setup.

If the "best you can afford" is a $250+ strop, do not feel bad if you "waste" $60 on a less expensive strop. There is always a use for a strop. I use my less expensive strop after I hone or if I buy a new razor that been oiled for shipping. Although I wash the blade after both, I do not want to contaminate my more expensive strop with oil or junk from honing. I also use my less expensive strop regularly for the pleasure of using it. Currently, I own four strops and enjoy them all. I only need one, but since I enjoy them all I do not feel I wasted my money by buying twice (or four times :001_rolle)

I'm with you on this one, my advice is always something like "double what you think you should spend on your first straight" and do it right the first time, the rest would be "half what you think you should spend on your first strop"...:D

Over 13+ months, I've only ever so slightly nicked mine in two different spots (very top and very bottom on careless blade flip) it's super minor and barely noticeable, but am glad I didn't get the best strop I can afford as my first, no doubt.

See my previous potato peeler and chef's knife analogy, both can cut you, but one (open blade) could be devastating, same is true for straight razors.

I'm open minded usually...lol... but don't even know how you guys can debate this? :D

Simple, horrible cut while in the Army from a DE blade someone carelessly left out. DEs aren't always in their handle. Hone the peeler up to razor sharpness and it is just as dangerous as the knife. More so probably because people would be careless with it until it cut them :)

Am I ready to shave with a straight razor?

If you're asking the question, the answer is probably yes. It's all about motivation. If you're sufficiently motivated, you'll succeed. As noted by others, it takes 100 shaves to become proficient, and 10-20 shaves to get minimally comfortable. There is a learning curve! If that sounds fine, go for it.

Someone mentioned a 15-year-old boy at the turn of the 20th century. The difference is, that kid had no alternative -- he had to learn to use a straight, whether he liked it or not. At the turn of the 21st, we have options. That's why motivation is the key.

Corollary: One way to get motivated is to pretend you don't have any alternative. :001_smile
Am I going to get cuts?

Can you walk on water? If so, no. Otherwise..... :rolleyes:

Last edited:
If you're sufficiently motivated, you'll succeed. A

Totally the key to success. I toyed with the idea for about a year. Finally took the plunge and that first shave was one of the scariest things I've ever done. But by the end of the shave it had been reduced to being challenging, not scary.

As noted by others, it takes 100 shaves to become proficient

Also quite true. By shave 100, assuming you're sufficiently motivated to get there, it will "just be the way you shave". Will you get a few cuts along the way? Probably. Most of us did. But not great spurting fountains. A touchdown line here. A nick from the toe there. And the occasional bite from the heel when your attention is elsewhere. All part of the learning curve and not likely to be life threatening.

Bottom line, it's well worth the time (and small amount of blood) to master. There is no shave like a straight razor shave (once you are proficient).

Go for it! I started with a straight before shaving with a DE several years ago. It was pretty rewarding. Unfortunately I have not used a straight razor in a long time and my Dovo is pretty rusted up, and my strop is sold. I’m thinking about getting it fixed or buying another one to get back into SR shaving. It was fun.

I'm scared, but I'd like to try a straight razor slowly.
Start by doing an ATG pass on your cheeks. Once comfortable with that, add either other parts of your face, or different passes on your cheeks. Also always pay attention to where the full length of the blade is in relation to body parts. It is easy to start focusing on a specific part of the blade, and then slap your ear lobe with a different part, or your other hand that your stretching your skin with.

Start by doing an ATG pass on your cheeks. Once comfortable with that, add either other parts of your face, or different passes on your cheeks. Also always pay attention to where the full length of the blade is in relation to body parts. It is easy to start focusing on a specific part of the blade, and then slap your ear lobe with a different part, or your other hand that your stretching your skin with.

This from a bearded man....LOL @Clay S .:a29:

Start by doing an ATG pass on your cheeks.....

Did you mean WTG ?? I'm assuming this was a typo since I see no indication you were trying to be funny? Because if it wasn't a typo or just being absent minded when writing, then it's worst advice ever given to any potential new shaver, straight or DE.

Did you mean WTG ?? I'm assuming this was a typo since I see no indication you were trying to be funny? Because if it wasn't a typo or just being absent minded when writing, then it's worst advice ever given to any potential new shaver, straight or DE.

Yes, WTG. Was late/early morning

This from a bearded man....LOL @Clay S .:a29:
I normally, recently, shave more than 50% of my face. Just not this month :)

Last edited:
Top Bottom