What's new

Am I ready to shave with a straight razor?

I have shaved with a double edge safety razor for about 3 years.
I can shave with minimal abrasion and wihout nicks.
I want to change things a bit and try a straight razor.

Am I ready to shave with a straight razor? Am I going to get cuts?

I have shaved with a double edge safety razor for about 3 years.
I can shave with minimal abrasion and wihout nicks.
I want to change things a bit and try a straight razor.

Am I ready to shave with a straight razor? Am I going to get cuts?

You are as ready as anyone else or as you will ever be. Just go slowly before each stroke, pay attention to the landscape of your face, and stay focused on maintaining the angle.

It is a myth the SR is not safer or less safe than a safety razor. There are cutting principles that involve having the correct angle which means you cannot accidently cut yourself if your angle is correct. It cannot happen. If you don't believe me, try cutting a piece of meat with the blade flat on the surface of the steak. An angle is required.

I found that a GEM type razor, the Micromatic, taught me about angles and prepared me to use a straight razor. These can be obtained for less than $20.

I first started with a Feather SS folding shavette with pro guard artist blades. After a month I got my first SR from a good seller. I began to learn to strop. I started slow and developed a near blister on my thumb but that lasted less than a week.

Soon I learned to hone my own razors. There is nothing more satisfying that shaving with a blade you prepared from a razor made in the mid 1800's. Pretty cool. Be sure to PM me with questions. @steveclarkus is my friend and mentor.

You are as ready as anyone ever starting with straights, I agree with that part of previous comment.

I do not agree that straights are as safe as DE razors, in my personal opinion to say that is quite ignorant. You can show the two to a young child, and they'll be able to quickly tell you which one is potentially more dangerous. One is called "safety" razor and has a blade guard (with various degrees of blade exposure), the other one is open sharp blade, it doesn't take a lot of imagination to conclude straights can potentially do a lot more damage than DE. That said, respect them, but don't let your imagination run wild, there's certain level of forgiveness to straight razors.

Chances are you will get small nicks or a cut or two as you learn, it's possible to avoid them, but again, we're talking sharp open blade and very minimal skill to start with. It's possible to avoid of course, just watch a lot of videos, read a lot and go slow, chances are you'll learn very quickly. I personally found it a lot easier than I had anticipated.

Yes you are ready! I had several other members of B&B coaching me as I learned step by step. As long as you take your time and understand that it is not something to be learned in one day, you will be absolutely fine. For my skin type, the very closest shave possible is with a straight razor. Do not feel bad if you have to pick up your DE to do clean up or to even finish the last couple passes of your shave. The more time you have that blade in your hand, the better. It should take you somewhere around 100 shaves with your new straight to become proficient and 100 shaves more give or take, to become Great at it. Of course, like all things on B&B, Your Mileage May Vary, but I do hope you enjoy using a straight razor.
Don't shy away from asking questions, we are here to help.
Best wishes!
Matt

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
You are as ready as anyone ever starting with straights, I agree with that part of previous comment.

I do not agree that straights are as safe as DE razors, in my personal opinion to say that is quite ignorant. You can show the two to a young child, and they'll be able to quickly tell you which one is potentially more dangerous. One is called "safety" razor and has a blade guard (with various degrees of blade exposure), the other one is open sharp blade, it doesn't take a lot of imagination to conclude straights can potentially do a lot more damage than DE. That said, respect them, but don't let your imagination run wild, there's certain level of forgiveness to straight razors.

Chances are you will get small nicks or a cut or two as you learn, it's possible to avoid them, but again, we're talking sharp open blade and very minimal skill to start with. It's possible to avoid of course, just watch a lot of videos, read a lot and go slow, chances are you'll learn very quickly. I personally found it a lot easier than I had anticipated.
I disagree because I have cut and nicked myself more often with a DE than a straight razor. I believe @Twelvefret observation assumes a modicum of common sense on the shavers part. Speaking of common sense, a child shouldn’t be given either one.

I once thought as you do. Once I started using a SR, I changed my mind. That said, I worked once as a meat cutter and have used and worked with knives, saws, and sharp tools my entire life.

I’ve had cuts with razor blades, but never with a SR or Shavette. YMMV of course.

I consider the concept of a “safety razor” as more marketing than fact. Razors as with any tool requires care.

Last edited:
I disagree because I have cut and nicked myself more often with a DE than a straight razor. I believe @Twelvefret observation assumes a modicum of common sense on the shavers part. Speaking of common sense, a child shouldn’t be given either one.

D'oh, of course, I never said anyone should actually give it to the child... lol, don't make this into something it isn't. :D :D

Look, I get that it might be your experience, but you also had a lot more shaves with DE than straight, no, so chances are greater the number of shaves, more potential for mistakes? Also, I'm pretty sure there are people out there that got more cuts from potato peeler than super sharp large chef's knife, it's possible - but that doesn't make chef's knife less dangerous, potentially.

What I'm saying is that potential for damage in unskilled hands is far greater with straight than DE, I don't see how that can be even argued, but that's just me.

Take 14-15 year old boy on his first shave, which one would you give him and expect to walk away with no cuts.
My logic says DE.

I once thought as you do. Once I started using a SR, I changed my mind. That said, I worked once as a meat cutter and have used and worked with knives, saws, and sharp tools my entire life.

I’ve had cuts with razor blades, but never with a SR or Shavette. YMMV of course.

I consider the concept of a “safety razor” as more marketing than fact. Razors as with any tool requires care.

I understand what you're trying to say, something along the line "razors don't cut people, people cut people..." or something like that. If "safety razor" is marketing term, then what is "cut throat razor" ?? :D :D

Anyway, I've stated my opinion, we disagree and that's fine.

@marshmellow - you're already on your way and ready, just by looking around and asking. Do read a lot, do watch lots of videos, curiosity is first step, the rest is all trial and error. Again, it's not nearly as difficult as I imagined before I tried it, start slow, respect the blade, and you'll be fine in no time.

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
D'oh, of course, I never said anyone should actually give it to the child... lol, don't make this into something it isn't. :D :D

Look, I get that it might be your experience, but you also had a lot more shaves with DE than straight, no, so chances are greater the number of shaves, more potential for mistakes? Also, I'm pretty sure there are people out there that got more cuts from potato peeler than super sharp large chef's knife, it's possible - but that doesn't make chef's knife less dangerous, potentially.

What I'm saying is that potential for damage in unskilled hands is far greater with straight than DE, I don't see how that can be even argued, but that's just me.

Take 14-15 year old boy on his first shave, which one would you give him and expect to walk away with no cuts.
My logic says DE.

I understand what you're trying to say, something along the line "razors don't cut people, people cut people..." or something like that. If "safety razor" is marketing term, then what is "cut throat razor" ?? :D :D

Anyway, I've stated my opinion, we disagree and that's fine.

@marshmellow - you're already on your way and ready, just by looking around and asking. Do read a lot, do watch lots of videos, curiosity is first step, the rest is all trial and error. Again, it's not nearly as difficult as I imagined before I tried it, start slow, respect the blade, and you'll be fine in no time.
Ok. We need to get on the same page. I’m speaking from the point when someone actually knows how to shave with a straight razor. Of course when you are learning your chances of mishaps are greater than once you become accomplished but that is a relatively short time as it true for DE shaving. I started shaving in 1964 so I have hundreds more nicks from DEs. But that wasn’t my point. After learning to use a straight razor I found I have fewer nicks and abrasions than in normal use of a DE and consequently find the SR safer than a DE. I have no idea of why that is. It just is. Even when I was “in training”, I had very few nicks while actually shaving. Most mishaps were putting the razor to my face and sticking myself. Back in the day it was common to see guys in the office with little pieces of toilet paper stuck on their faces so “safety” razors were not perfectly save. I suppose there may be less likelyhood of getting careless with a SR than a DE because we all know a SR can go deep if mishandled. I sometimes read the DE shaving posts and DEs give a lot of newbies a fit - something I can’t relate to because I don’t remember what it was like to learn to shave anymore. In any case, now that you see where I’m coming from, our disagreement may not be all that great.

Ok. We need to get on the same page. I’m speaking from the point when someone actually knows how to shave with a straight razor. Of course when you are learning your chances of mishaps are greater than once you become accomplished but that is a relatively short time as it true for DE shaving. I started shaving in 1964 so I have hundreds more nicks from DEs. But that wasn’t my point. After learning to use a straight razor I found I have fewer nicks and abrasions than in normal use of a DE and consequently find the SR safer than a DE. I have no idea of why that is. It just is. Even when I was “in training”, I had very few nicks while actually shaving. Most mishaps were putting the razor to my face and sticking myself. Back in the day it was common to see guys in the office with little pieces of toilet paper stuck on their faces so “safety” razors were not perfectly save. I suppose there may be less likelyhood of getting careless with a SR than a DE because we all know a SR can go deep if mishandled. I sometimes read the DE shaving posts and DEs give a lot of newbies a fit - something I can’t relate to because I don’t remember what it was like to learn to shave anymore. In any case, now that you see where I’m coming from, our disagreement may not be all that great.
I started with my grandfather’s Schick Krona at 14. It bloody. Nothing safe about that razor. Now people say it’s mild.

Out of interest - Where did you work as a meat cutter?

@steveclarkus - no worries at all, that's what forums are for. I wasn't talking about what each of us do, I was just talking what potentially each of us "could" do with each tool. I surprised myself by a lack of cutting myself early on, but recently had two minor cuts which reminded me that I got too comfortable with straights. Hasn't happen in years with DE, no matter how much I was rushing or shaving on auto-pilot (and I use Feather, one of the sharpest, almost exclusively, with fairly decent blade gap in my favorite DE).

Yeah, both can hurt, but one has a protective guard and is not as wide/long.

No more derailing, sorry. @marshmellow let us know when you start?
People in straight section are incredibly helpful with advice and guidance, crazy how great the forum is.

Yes @marshmellow you are ready. The first shave is the hardest and it could take 100+ shaves to become proficient. Don’t expect good shaves for the first dozen or two. Be patient and chase your shave with a DE if needed. Take your time and ask lots of questions. The SR group is very helpful.

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
@steveclarkus - no worries at all, that's what forums are for. I wasn't talking about what each of us do, I was just talking what potentially each of us "could" do with each tool. I surprised myself by a lack of cutting myself early on, but recently had two minor cuts which reminded me that I got too comfortable with straights. Hasn't happen in years with DE, no matter how much I was rushing or shaving on auto-pilot (and I use Feather, one of the sharpest, almost exclusively, with fairly decent blade gap in my favorite DE).

Yeah, both can hurt, but one has a protective guard and is not as wide/long.

No more derailing, sorry. @marshmellow let us know when you start?
People in straight section are incredibly helpful with advice and guidance, crazy how great the forum is.
Posts like these with different points of view actually often result in the most informative as this one has. I only started SR shaving in late March and am now approaching 200 shaves and have sold all but one of my DEs - a Gillette New SC. haven’t shaved with a DE since the day I started SR. It was just so much easier on my face. I bought my first straights in 1982 but after they were no longer stroppable, I had no idea how to sharpen them and had to quit. If it hadn’t been for this board, I would have never tried again. So much support here just for the asking.

A couple of thoughts to help you get underway:

1: This learning curve is WORTH climbing. The end result is a smoother, more comfortable shave with a greater degree of satisfaction.

2: You will have some miserable shaves in the beginning. This is normal. Any learning curve has its bumps. If you don't let them discourage you, then you will get past them.

3: You are going to draw blood to some degree or another. Everyone does, especially in the beginning. You did when you learned to use a DE razor, didn't you. This is not dissimilar to that. With appropriate care you will have a similar experience.

4: Get a shave ready razor. That means either buying it from a -trusted- source, or sending it to be honed by a -trusted- honemeister. Once you have done this, DO NOT SECOND GUESS THE RAZOR'S SHARPNESS. Lots and lots of beginners end up asking "is this razor really shave ready? Is it dull?" No, the tugging and skipping is your technique. That is part of the learning curve.

5: Learn to shave BEFORE learning to hone. With a proper, sharp, shave ready razor and careful use of a leather strop you should be able to get 20+ shaves before it REALLY needs re-honing. Optimally, I would highly recommend getting a second shave ready razor right around this time, so you have a newly sharp razor as a basis for comparison when you start learning to hone the first one.

I think great advice by @Dzaw I would just expand on his point #4, and my advice would be to not get the cheapest and crappiest razor to start with.

Do it somewhat right the first time, and if you decide not to stick with it, you will more likely recover at least 1/2 if not more of the cost. The rest you can consider to be 'learning fee'.

I started with crappy old "no name" razor, and difference few weeks later when I purchased brand new shave ready Dovo, was night and day, totally worth it doing it "somewhat" right the first time, your experience will be that much better.

Top Bottom