What's new

Alum Block as deodorant - closes pores?

Hi
I've read many posts on here about using an Alum Block as a deodorant, but I haven't found an answer to my question and can't find anything on the Net, maybe someone has the answer.

Here's my question; The purpose of having sweat glands (apocrine) under the arm pits is to regulate heat by releasing it through liquid (sweat).

So why would we want to block those glands with an Alum Block solution (potassium alum)?

Pores don't open or close. They stay as they are (in order to open and close, each pore would need its own muscle). It is a misconception that hot water opens pores and cold water closes them. In actuality, hot water helps dislodge any sort of build-up that might clog pores whereas cold water tends to keep the skin's oils in place (which can be very beneficial as well).

Alum block as a deodorant works by making the affected area as inhospitable to bacteria and any other sort of organism that produces odor when you sweat. Sweat itself has no smell; body odor occurs when the dampness and proteins in the sweat itself mixes with bacteria on your body. That's why if you use alum blocks (which I do - I use one of those domed "Crystal" rocks found in any pharmacy) it is essential to apply it as soon as you get out of the shower or bath in order to Alum block is not an antiperspirant.

Pores don't open or close. They stay as they are (in order to open and close, each pore would need its own muscle). It is a misconception that hot water opens pores and cold water closes them. In actuality, hot water helps dislodge any sort of build-up that might clog pores whereas cold water tends to keep the skin's oils in place (which can be very beneficial as well).

Alum block as a deodorant works by making the affected area as inhospitable to bacteria and any other sort of organism that produces odor when you sweat. Sweat itself has no smell; body odor occurs when the dampness and proteins in the sweat itself mixes with bacteria on your body. That's why if you use alum blocks (which I do - I use one of those domed "Crystal" rocks found in any pharmacy) it is essential to apply it as soon as you get out of the shower or bath in order to Alum block is not an antiperspirant.

Hi Josh
That would mean that my understanding of how an alum block works on a shaving is cut is incorrect; the alum block does not close the pore, it coagulates the blood quicker?

Hi Josh
That would mean that my understanding of how an alum block works on a shaving is cut is incorrect; the alum block does not close the pore, it coagulates the blood quicker?

That would be my guess. I haven't researched how an alum block works post-shave but only how it works as a deodorant because I had developed an annoying reaction to my usual deodorant and so looked for alternatives. Plus I've never been a fan of antiperspirants. I've been using the alum as a deodorant for going on 4 years now and its been great.

I've been using the alum block as a deodorant for over 20 years. Its the best stuff going, never any odor at all, and at least on myself it seems to stop any wetness. :thumbup1:

I made the switch over to alum as a deodarent a few months back. I am proof that old dogs can learn new tricks.

Top Bottom