What's new

A wondering pastor's DE journey

Tuesday, April 17:
Switched up some things today.
Set up:
EJ D89; Astra SP (1); Parker Pure Badger; Wood Bowl; COB/Harry's cream mix
Pre-Shave Oil - Rev's #1 (my mix)
Pre-Shave: Shower; PSO; Lather in the bowl
Shave: Basically 3 passes; WTG, XTG, ATG with a bit of touch up.
Post shave: Warm water rinse; Cold water rinse; Alum block; Let dry; Thayer Witch Hazel (w/cucumber); Nivea AS Balm for sensitive skin
Results: I was a bit short on time this morning so simplified my lathering process with my standard creams. Also back to the Astra SP blade. I am finding it gives me a solid shave with no irritation and rarely a nick. I've a 100 pack on the way! 4/5 on today's shave. A DFS.

Just when you think you have it down...
Wednesday, April 18

Set up:
EJ D89; Astra SP (2); Semogue 2000; glass bowl; GTB
Post shave: Warm water rinse; Cold water rinse; Alum block; Let dry; Thayer Witch Hazel (w/cucumber); Nivea AS Balm for sensitive skin
Results: I got a bit cocky this morning and paid the price. Everything was going smoothly, until I was finishing with some touch up around my mouth and chin. Newsflash: a razor blade, applied to one's face with total disregard, can be a dangerous thing! I sustained what I would call my first cut since starting this adventure. It was more than a nick and less than needing stitches; actually, quite a bit less, but bleed it did. Let that be a lesson on the need to maintain presence of mind while applying sharp steel to one's face! Other than that Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play? 2/5 on the basis of bleeding too much. Otherwise a smooth shave.

Thursday, April 19:

Set up:
EJ D89; Astra SP (3); Semogue 2000; glass bowl; GTB
Results: Much better than yesterday. I was a bit nervous about opening up yesterday's damage, but that went well with extra caution and not worrying about getting a perfect shave in that area. I did slightly nick my adam's apple in a moment of ineptitude; another lesson. 3/5 today due to the nick; otherwise a passable shave.

Friday, April 20
Set up:
EJ D89; Astra SP (4); Semogue 2000; glass bowl; GTB
Shave: Basically 2 passes; WTG, ATG with a bit of touch up.
Results: A lighter shave this morning as I'm spending most of the day driving. But, it was a good shave. 4/5 with no issues.

Saturday, April 21
Set up:
Away from home, so a minimalist kit this morning:
Harry's razor; synthetic brush; COB/Harry's cream mix; pre-shave oil; wood bowl
Shave: Basically 2 passes; WTG, ATG with a bit of touch up.
Post shave: Warm water rinse; Cold water rinse; Nickel Fire Insurance AS Balm
Results: 4/5 a very decent shave. Not as much fun as the full blown treatment, but a good shave.

Sunday, April 22
Set up:
EJ D89; Astra SP (5); Semogue 2000; glass bowl; GTB
Results: A very nice shave this morning. 4/5 A DFS with no issues.
I'm feeling very good about my progress to date. I feel I can shave well with no issues with this razor/blade combination, as long as I keep my mind on what I'm doing. I'll hopefully be receiving in the mail this week a Rockwell 6c, along with some other goodies. It will be interesting to try out a different razor.

Monday, April 23
Set up:
EJ D89; Polsilver SI (1); Semogue 2000; glass bowl; GTB
Results: 4/5 One weeper but a very close shave.

Tuesday, April 24
My Happy Birthday to me, from SWMBO (who thinks my new obsession is hilarious) included a Rockwell 6C plus a Razorock Plissoft Bruce and various soaps, including Tabac.
Set up:
6C w plate 3 & 4; Polsilver SI (2); Plissoft; glass bowl; Tabac
Results: Did one pass with plate 3 and then changed to plate 4. Now that is a closer shave, but with a nick or two - my carelessness. so 3/5. But, this is an interesting change in razor.

Wednesday, April 25
Set up:
6C w plate 4; Polsilver SI (3); Plissoft; glass bowl; Tabac
Results: Close shave. 3/4 still some weepers and a nick on my chin - Pay Attention!!

Thursday, April 26
Set up:
6C w plate 3; Polsilver SI (4); Plissoft; glass bowl; Italian Barber Amici
Results: Decided to back off to the plate 3, but I'm not sure I like the results - a bit mild, which tempts me to apply more pressure, which causes me to bleed. The last two days I've tried the Tabac soap - nice lather and a good slick soap. The scent is a bit weak (I know, get the AS). Today it was the IB Amici. I bought it because it was a cheap add-on. Nice soap as far as the lather goes, but while I like the scent, it is very weak. I'm taking a day off tomorrow as I'm on the road and just didn't want to pack my shave gear. My face could use a day off. I think I'm going back to the Astra SP and plate 4 on the 6C on Saturday or if I shave tomorrow afternoon. With the additional soaps; 4 pucks in addition to the Tabac and Amici, I am now officially in the soap accumulation game.

Happy Birthday to me, from SWMBO (who thinks my new obsession is hilarious) included a Rockwell 6C plus a Razorock Plissoft Bruce.

A belated happy birthday! Yes, SWMBO sometimes makes me feel a bit ridiculous with all this focus on shaving . . . and my daughter’s worse. Sigh. Keep calm and shave on.

That Big Bruce brush has the same knot as the Atomic Rocket I just bought, and it’s been a real eye-opener for me. So different from my boar brushes, but wow . . . may be better in all ways. Scratching my head now on why anyone uses anything but synthetics . . .

I realize I've been MIA for a while. During that time I've been toying around with different soap/razor/blade/brush combinations. I've spent five days in S.Texas with my daughter's family - my last chance this year to watch my grandchildren play ball - so I had a few days with my Harry's cartridge razor. I picked up a bottle of Pinaud Clubman at a local beauty supply shop; that was interesting. I'm not sure exactly how I feel about it. For sure the AS splash was a good thing in the more humid environment and I think the fragrance would grow on me. I left it and a fresh bottle of Nivea AS Balm at my daughters house to make future travel simpler.
I bought a tuck of Kai blades to see what that fuss is all about. They are sharp! I've tried one in both my EJ D89 and my Rockwell 6C-R3. This morning's shave was the 6C & Kai blade combination, the third shave on the blade, and it was a very fine, approaching BBS, shave. I was also taking my freshly restored Rubberset 400-4 for its initial run; that went quite well. I have to admit my perception may be clouded by the time & effort spent restoring the old handle; still a very good brush. I will attempt to get back on track with my journal as I've found how easy it is to lose track of who did what to whom with this shaving business. Then again, I may just go with the flow; time will tell.

Thursday, May 17
Set up:
6C w/R3; Kai (4); Rubberset 400-4 w/badger knot; glass bowl; Razorock American Barber
Post shave: Warm water rinse; Cold water rinse; Alum block; Let dry; Thayer Witch Hazel (w/cucumber); Proraso Red AS Splash.
Results: 3/5 A close shave but with a few nicks/weepers. The 6cR3 and the Kai blade require attention to detail. But, the overall shave is good; a DFS for sure.

Friday, May 18
Set up:
EJ D89; Astra SP (4); Rubberset 400-4 w/badger knot; glass bowl; CF Ghost Town Barber
Pre-Shave: Double face wash; PSO; Lather in the bowl
Post shave: Warm water rinse; Cold water rinse; Alum block; Let dry; Thayer Witch Hazel (w/cucumber); Proraso Red AS Splash.
Results: 4/5 A DFS Yesterday, several hours after my shave, I noticed some irritation on my neck and around my mouth; too much razor? wrong blade? I don't know for sure. Thus today's switch to my (now seeming) standard D89 and Astra SP. I like today's combination a lot. The CF GTB is a marvelous fragrance and it seems to pair well with the Proraso AS.

I've enjoyed reading your posts. Welcome from one newbie to another. I've been de shaving since November after 40+ years of electrics & carts. It is certainly an enjoyable time spent in front of the mirror shaving, I look forward to it. The one drawback when we get a good shave is we have to wait an entire day before we can shave again!

Thanks dmshaver. You are right, the cruel part of shaving is the wait; my face however finds it redemptive.

Catching up:
Saturday May 19
Set up:
EJ D89; Astra SP (5); Rubberset 400-4 w/badger knot; glass bowl; CF Ghost Town Barber
Results 4/5 This was a late afternoon shave so a bit more growth than normal. Still a great shave.

Sunday, May 20
Set up:
EJ D89; Astra SP (1); Rubberset 400-4 w/badger knot; glass bowl; CF Ghost Town Barber
Results 4/5 A bit lighter shave as yesterday's was late in the day. A good shave. I'll be off shaving for a couple of days, maybe three as I'm headed to the mountains of northern New Mexico for a few days R&R. I typically don't see many, if any, people up here so it is a good time to rest my face, along with the rest of me. While I have limited cell connection I do have fair internet reception thanks to a kind neighbor. I think I'm going to give the 6c a try on R4 when I return with a few day's growth.

Wed. May 23
Set up:
Rockwell 6c R4; Astra SP (1):EJ D89; Astra SP (2); Rubberset 400-4 w/badger knot; glass bowl; CF Sherlock
Pre-Shave: Shower; Lather in the bowl
Shave: Basically 3 passes; WTG with the 6c, XTG, ATG with the D89.
Results 4/5 This was with 3.5 days growth and the 6c R4 was a very efficient first pass. The D89 finished up with no problems.

Top Bottom