What's new

Standard international cartridge variation?

My daughter is really interested in the Ooly colored fountain pens, and I've been trying to figure out if the cartridges are standard international cartridges.

I think my underlying question is how much variation there is in standard international cartridges? It seems like the Ooly cartridges look a teeny bit different, but not that different, and I think I've seen some standard international cartridges that look like them (Stipula, Pelikan)?

1. Ask ooly
2. Given the price point, buy the brand specific cartridges and drive on
3. What t is or is not standard and how it fits, pen to pen, brand to brand can often be an issue with more modest priced products.
4. Buy the brand specific cartridges and refill w any ink you want from any bottle with a syringe

1. Ask ooly
2. Given the price point, buy the brand specific cartridges and drive on
3. What t is or is not standard and how it fits, pen to pen, brand to brand can often be an issue with more modest priced products.
4. Buy the brand specific cartridges and refill w any ink you want from any bottle with a syringe

Yeah we just ended up buying them, along with some refills. We'll see.

I'm not sure it was really a concern about the price, more about how reusable they are outside of Ooly's refills, and how much she might be able to experiment with other inks and colors if she wanted to.

Of course at that point you might just buy different pens but if you can minimize waste all the better. She does have a lot of non-fountain pens as it is.

I recently went to the 'Zon to purchase some "standard" international carts for a couple of my Jihao pens.

My biggest takeaway was that there are two inside diameter openings where the cart mates with the pen. As far as I know, if the pen takes a "standard" cart (at least Jinhao) you merely need to make sure you purchase carts with the correct size opening.

I've seen folks on Reddit & FPN talk about this. There's a new Chinese standard that's different from the older "Standard International". It's like a 2.6 vs a 3.2 mm opening or something. Close, but not interchangeable.

Top Bottom