What's new

A wondering pastor's DE journey

After starting this journey to rid myself of boring shaves with overpriced cartridges and uninspiring over-hyped equipment, I've been keeping a handwritten journal for my own consumption. After reading through several of your shaving journals, I've decided to move my shaving record to this format. While I'm not so presumptuous to think my observations will be all that novel or interesting, my hope is that some of you might lend me some helpful advice when you see me wandering into the woods.
Here is my shaving past, as I reported in my newbie check-in. I'm copying it here only to save myself some typing; my apologies if you find it redundant.

After 50 years of wet shaving (I tried an electric razor when I was a teenager and that was a big disappointment) almost all with cartridge razors, I've decided to give DE's another chance. To be fair to DE razors, I really didn't give them much of a chance before; a couple of tries over that 50 year span. I'm not sure of my reasoning except I'm looking for a comfortable shave that doesn't cost me an arm and leg (and much of the skin on my face). Note that my logic is not at all clear to my wife, so I really need to make this work!

My largest anxiety about this project is triggering another facet of my accumulation gene. I'm pretty sure I first became aware of B&B from some random comment on the Fountain Pen Network by one of the pen/wet shaver cross overs. Up to this point I've fully exercised my accumulation gene with fountain pens and understand the risk in stepping off into another swamp prone to accumulation (I've seen the pictures of some of your shaving gear collections).

Having said that, I'm weary of sub-par shaves with cartridges that cost too much in spite of all the advertising hoopla. My latest cartridge setup (or whatever you all call it):
Harry's razor and 5 blade cartridges. (I was a Gillette Sensor user prior to Harry's)
Pre-Shave oil of my own mixing (1 part ea. Sweet Almond & Jojoba oil with a few drops of Bergamot and Clove oil).
A mix of C.O. Bigelow's Premium Shave Cream (Poraso) & Harry's Shave Cream
Parker Pure Badger Brush (black & chrome)
If I use any after shave, it is Nickel Fire Insurance After Shave Balm (for no particular reason other than that is what I happen to have)
In the past I've used foams, gels, and a few different shaving soaps along with cheap synthetic brushes. My go to soap for years was Crabtree & Evelyn Sandlewood in the wooden bowl (I still use the bowl). I switched to the pre-oil and cream mixture some four years ago.

I ordered an Edwin Jagger DE89, after looking through some of the DE threads and an assortment of 7 different blades to give the DE another shot. I've read a lot of shaving advice in the shave clinic threads and watched several interesting YouTube videos; all quite helpful.
I'm 16 shaves into the journey and am hooked. I've tried the Derby Extra's that came with the razor, Astra SP, Gillette Silver Blue, Nacet, & 7 O'Clock SS. Besides my long standing C.O. Bigelow/Harry's Cream mix on top of my Pre-shave oil, I've tried some Cremo with my brush on my face and some Cremo on my face + the COB/Harry's with the brush. I tried one shave with my old favorite Crabtree & Evelyn Sandlewood & synthetic brush. As of the last two shaves, I'm back to the Astra SP and the pre-shave w/ COB/Harry's.

My results have, overall, been good. The first shave was a learning experience! I was too aggressive on my lower neck, causing some minor irritation. I've had a few nicks and weepers along the way, but no severe cuts. I've learned that checking out mentally, at least at this stage, is not a good idea. I also have to be aware of pressure getting in the way of a good shave.

Now, as to the accumulation gene kicking in...I've done fairly well. That means I've not purchased any more razors or ordered any 100 blade boxes; although I've looked. I have ordered some "necessary" software; an alum block, Proraso Red soap, Chiseled Face Sherlock and Ghost Town Barber soap, Proraso Red AS, Thayer Witch Haze w/cucumber. And, I thought it necessary to purchase a stiffer brush than my Parker pure badger, so I ordered a Semogue 2000. That's not too bad, right?
I've a birthday coming up, so of course I've dropped some big hints, and a wish list at The Italian Barber, to guide my wife in her shopping choices. I think she's glad it's not more fountain pens; I think.

I'll try to keep this journal updated and will appreciate any help you can offer! (and sorry for the ridiculously long post)

Welcome to the journals, Pastor! This is a greast place to keep track of your shaves, and there are definitely some very helpful folks willing to lend their advice and experience. I, for one, cannot wait to see your opinion of the Ghost Town Barber once you have used it. Soon you'll be ordering that scent in aftershave, body soap, and cologne form. You should probably visit us over at the Ghost Town Barber Posse for commiseration and to find ideas to explain all these new purchases to your lady love. :cowboy:

The last four days:
Set Up:
EJ D89; Astra SP (1-4); Parker Pure Badger; Wood Bowl; C.O. Bigelow Cream & Harry's Cream;
Pre-Shave Oil - Rev's #1 (my mix)
Pre-Shave: Shower; PSO; Lather in the bowl
Shave: Basically 3 passes; WTG, ATG, XTG with a bit of touch up.
Post shave: Warm water rinse; Cold water rinse; Pat dry; AS Balm - either Nickel Fire Insurance, Nivea for Sensitive Skin, or C&E Nomad; The last two days I've added an alum block after the cold water rinse.
Results:
Shave 1,3,&4 were quite nice. No nicks,weepers, or cuts. Day 2 was not as good but not disastrous by any stretch. I think I got momentarily careless around my mouth. Lesson learned! All four shaves were respectively close and in the DFS catagory as I best understand it. All of this is getting easier and I've learned to avoid the irritation on my lower neck, where, as it turns out, I really don't need to shave! I'm looking forward to getting my new soaps in the mail tomorrow along with a new brush. That should prove interesting!

Correction to the above: shaves were wtg, xtg, then atg. Got mixed up on mt tla’s.

Welcome to the journals, it sounds like you are off to a good start.

Hope you like the Proraso Red, it’s a keeper for me and Mrs loves it. So many soaps and so little time.

Hope you like the Proraso Red, it’s a keeper for me and Mrs loves it. So many soaps and so little time.
Thanks for the welcome.
I’ve been using the COB version of Proraso green cream for a number of years so I hope the red soap is similar. I like Sandlewood so that is a plus.
I come from the fountain pen world, so I’m used to the concept of too many choices, as in ink and paper. I hope to let that experience help me shorten the learning curve with shaving software!

Today's shave:
Set Up:
EJ D89; Astra SP (5); Parker Pure Badger; Wood Bowl; C.O. Bigelow Cream & Harry's Cream;
Shave: Basically 3 passes; WTG, XTG, ATG with a bit of touch up.
Post shave: Warm water rinse; Cold water rinse; Alum block; Let dry; AS Balm Nivea for Sensitive Skin.
Results: Overall; a good shave with one slight nick between my mouth and chin. I've started my own 5 point rating system with 1 being a disastrous blood letting and 5 being the nirvana of shaves. I've had one 2; the rest mostly 3's and a couple of 4's. Today would rate a 3, given the nick. Right now, 4 & 5 must be nick free with the difference being closeness.

The exciting news, at least for me, is I've a notification that there is new shave gear that awaits on my porch! New brush, new soaps, and some witch hazel.
Question: Alum block and then witch hazel or other way round? Or do you use both?

Welcome aboard, Kelly!
While I'm not so presumptuous to think my observations will be all that novel or interesting
Ha ha! Why should you be any different? Actually, don’t sell yourself short. We all manage to learn from each other around here.
My largest anxiety about this project is triggering another facet of my accumulation gene.
I know the feeling. In my case, “accumulation gene” is spelled “history of addiction” (no kidding). And while I’ve found contentment with one razor and blade brand and two brushes, it’s all I can do to keep it down to half a dozen soaps . . . well, now seven again, dang it . . . and a big tub of cream . . . oy . . .

If you do manage to keep the acquisition down to a dull roar (or even not), you’re always welcome over at Minimalists. (I see Jim’s already pointed to the GTB Posse!) Above all, have fun and enjoy your shaves.

Last edited:
Nice couple of shaves! I am afraid that I cannot offer advice on the use of alum plus witch hazel, as neither of those products have made their way into my routine. Other than an aftershave splash, I may use styptic to close up any random weepers.

I use alum immediately after the shave and a cold rinse. I shower after the shave (and cleaning up the Shaving Theatre) - and apply AS after the shower. Have never used witch hazel, but I do prefer AS splashes that contain it (WSP, Chiseled Face, etc.).

In my state of DE Shaving ignorance, I went with the post shave routine of: warm water rinse, cold water rinse, alum block rub (it is amazing how the alum tightens up my skin), after a bit of drying time while I clean up the razor, brush, bowl, and sink, apply the Witch hazel (that is also amazing). I did not use any aftershave balm, as I didn't want to mask the scent of the GTB soap (see below). It all worked out fine. As someone once told me relating to another process - "don't worry, it isn't brain surgery; what you're doing is close enough."

This morning's shave was a trial run with some new gear.
Set Up:
EJ D89; Nacet Stainless (1); Semogue 2000 boar; Wood Bowl; Chiseled Face Ghost Town Barber;
Post shave: Warm water rinse; Cold water rinse; Alum block; Let dry; Thayer Witch Hazel (w/cucumber)
Results: Switched to the Nacet S to give it a second try. I think I like the Astra SP better. Both times, on the first use of the Nacet blade I've had a nick or two - today one nick and some weepers. The shave was, however, close and at least DFS worthy. The GTB soap was a new experience. I didn't do a good job on the lather. It was also the first use of the Semogue 2000 boar brush, so maybe the combination of the two was a challenge. I got the boar brush because I was worried my Parker pure badger brush is not stiff enough to pick up the soap. I've obviously a lot to learn!

I think the boar brush will be just fine, once I use it for awhile and it breaks in (and I learn how to load it and how much water to leave in the brush). Despite the learning curve with a new brush and new soap, I got a really close shave wiht only a little damage. The witch hazel was a new addition that felt really good.
So much to learn, especially only shaving once a day. I guess the good news is that in the 24 hours between shaves there is ample time to contemplate the next iteration. I have to say that I never imagined I would enjoy this shaving process as much as I do (I can hear you all chuckling to yourselves). I'm thinking that in my vocation, we would call this a contemplative practice.

Today's shave was basically the same as Friday's shave. Same set up but better results. I did a better job of loading the brush. I need more work on building the lather. I think I need a different bowl (of course I do); I'm using a wood Crabtree & Evelyn soap bowl that is pretty small for the work that needs done. Before I buy a purpose built bowl, I think I'll try a good sized soup bowl. I think we may even have one around that has a handle.
The shave was clean and close with no nicks. The GTB is an intriguing scent that grows on you.

Yesterdays shave was a bit of a throwaway in that I was on the road and had a minimalist kit. A Harry's razor, synthetic brush, my usual bowl and PSO, and COB/Harry's creams. It was a nice shave and I think my brief but educational experience with DE shaving improved my shave with the cartridge razor. I was glad to be back to the EJ D89 this morning.

Nothing wrong with your travel kit. I’ve read a lot of guys carry carts for less hassle with the TSA.

The wife switched over to Harry’s and she loves them.

I don't dislike the Harry's razor. I switched to Harry's from the Gillette Fusion because of price. At $1.88/cartridge, Harry's is less than half the price of Fusion carts. But, I don't think the shaves are as good. I'm going to feel much better about a $0.10 blade, and if I amortize my other hardware and software costs, I can convince myself that the DE adventure is cheaper:001_cool: Now, to convince my wife!

This morning's shave:
Set up:
EJ D89; Nacet Stainless (3); Semogue 2000 boar; Wood Bowl; Chiseled Face Ghost Town Barber;
Post shave: Warm water rinse; Cold water rinse; Alum block; Let dry; Thayer Witch Hazel (w/cucumber); Nivea AS Balm for sensitive skin.
Results: I am liking the GTB soap. A better job of lather building this morning. The new brush is working well and seems to be breaking in. Day 3 on the Nacet blade and it was a smooth, nick free shave. I would rate it a 4/5 and a DFS. Now I'm trying to decide whether I like the Astra SP's or the Nacet's better. I'll likely resolve the dilemma by buying a quantity of both! I also have three new blades to try: Feather Hi Stainless, Polsilver SI, and Personna Lab Blue, so I will probably wait to give those three a try.

Basically everything the same as yesterday, including set up and results. Day 4 on the Nacet blade.
I’m away from home and traveling with light gear, so Wed. and Thu. shaves will be with my Harry’s cart razor. I will be trying the Proraso Red soap for the first time, on this trip.

Saturday April 14: Catching up after a few days absent. Wed & Thur shaves were with reduced gear as I was away from home. I did use the Proraso Red soap with my Harry's razor and synthetic brush that I've used for years. Same basic prep. I found the Proraso to be a good experience. Easy to lather and with a scent that worked for me. The shaves were respectable and in the DFS category - 4 by my scale (DFS - no nicks or weepers). I attribute some of the result to improved shaving technique from my short but educational DE experience.
Friday: No shave - took the day off; beard and work.
Today - Saturday:
Set up:
EJ D89; Feather High Stainless {why so much wax on the blade?}(1); Semogue 2000 boar; Wood Bowl; Chiseled Face Sherlock;
Post shave: Warm water rinse; Cold water rinse; Alum block; Let dry; Thayer Witch Hazel (w/cucumber); Nivea AS Balm for sensitive skin. And after breakfast, Proraso Red AS. I probably wouldn't normally pair the Proraso AS with the CFSherlock, but I really wanted to check out the AS. Not much clash of scents and the sandalwood is good with me.
Results: My first attempt with the Feather blade and I have to say I thought about that as I applied the razor to my face. My mild anxiety notwithstanding, it was a great shave; my best thus far in terms of closeness. I would rate that aspect as BBS or at least seriously approaching it. I sense a tiny bit of irritation, but that might be my imagination run amok. I would rate this shave a 5 - no nicks or weepers and very smooth and close.
I'll have to have more experience with the Feather to see if holds up for me and is worth the extra cost over the Astra SP. All that wax on the blade may be a deal breaker for me. I assume it is to ward off corrosion? But that makes no sense if the blade is stainless. But that depends on what sort of stainless, I guess. The jury is out.

Sunday, April 15:
I am now officially one month into the DE Journey. It looks like it is going to stick, at least judging from the looks of my spreadsheet where I'm tracking my AD $$ (yes, I decided to keep a record, just so I'll know. I'm 20+ years into my fountain pen habit and I never kept track - I wish I would have!). Speaking of AD; I availed myself of the opportunity that comes from what seems an unfortunate occurrence, the closing of Stats & Old Town Shaving. Best wishes however to Damon on his retirement. The good news is that I was able to save my wife 25% on my birthday DE "surprises"! She was thrilled.
On to today's shave:
Set up:
EJ D89; Feather High Stainless (2); Semogue 2000 boar; Glass Bowl; Proraso Red;
Post shave: Warm water rinse; Cold water rinse; Alum block; Let dry; Thayer Witch Hazel (w/cucumber); Proraos Red AS
Results: A good shave; 4/5. a couple of weepers and a hint of irritation. I'm starting to think the Feather may not be for me, but it may be other factors. I'll be giving it a couple more days. I like the Proraso AS. A good scent for me and it is not overpowering. I'm also going to have to work a bit more at building lather; the Proraso lather seemed good but broke down quickly and dried on my face fairy quickly as well.

Monday, April 16:
Set up:
EJ D89; Feather High Stainless (3); Semogue 2000 boar; Glass Bowl; CF GTB
Post shave: Warm water rinse; Cold water rinse; Alum block; Let dry; Thayer Witch Hazel (w/cucumber); Nivea AS Balm for sensitive skin
Results: The shave rates a 3/5; several weepers. This is the first day I've noticed a mild skin irritation over most of my face. I don't know what exactly is causing it, but I think I will go back to the Astra SP tomorrow and see if things improve over the course of the week. The shave was close enough but with the irritation.

Top Bottom