What's new

A stupid question re: dress shirts

I work in an environment which allows for, but does not dictate that I dress at any particular level from day-to-day. (Information Technology, if you must know, very flexible dress code).

Over the years, I've come to appreciate dressing a bit nicer (not fantastic, but above the common polo shirt and jeans that most I work with wear). Unfortunately, I grew up and was never given a terrible lot of guidance on professional dress, and proper ins-and-outs.

I've run into a problem, where the dress shirt I'm wearing will become less tucked in the back, and leave my backside of the shirt very very "poofy", resulting in an unprofessional image and wrinkles in short order.

Any suggestions? The first thing I considered was posture, but after watching this for a number of days, I found that I've not been slouching, and sure enough - I slowly see the same issue again. I'm happy to hear any ideas - I know I'm all out.

Embarrassing question to say the least, but I'd rather get an answer here than keep looking like an idiot :)

I've always assumed that happened from getting in and out of your chair, and general shifting about where the seat back catches and tugs at the material of your shirt.

Are you wearing a belt? I can't stand the look of a shirt tucked in with no belt, but I know there are people who do it.

I'm guessing that you are probably bending at the waist, or lifting objects, or sliding back and forth in your chair, etc. that makes your shirt rise up.

I don't have any great solution for you. The only solution that I can come up with is: In formal settings, an elastic band is often worn low on the hips, like a belt, over the top of the shirt, but under the pants to keep the shirt properly tucked in. Perhaps you can try one of these; should be available at your local formal wear shop?

Thanks for the thoughts, I do wear a belt and I do move around a bit, but not a horrible ton on most days. I guess its the nature of the beast, but more insight is definitely welcome.

Hmph.

First if you're starching your shirts stop it, this causes the shirt to want to maintain its shape and will promote wrinkles without a jacket. Check to see if your shirts drape naturally over the skin. You can do this simply buy draping loosely over the arm. Does it lay smoothly over the arm or does it appear stiff and somewhat rigid. This should help with that ballooning with sharp wrinkles problem. Lastly when you dress, after you have tucked in your shirt, raise your arms high over your head. This should crate enough slack that you can move freely without pulling on the waist.:thumbup1:

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
Even the 'bending' involed in sitting in a chair and standing up will lead to some "poofiness", and one good bend-down-to-tie-your-shoes will give you a good poof.

You may have more shirting material than you need. Most 'standard' dress shirts are made so as to be "wearable" (meaning "not too small to fit") by all but the most morbidly obese. IF you are a realitvely fit and active chap, you would do well to consider "slim fit" shirts ... cut for a slimmer figure, they reduce the amound of fabric available for that unwanted "poof".

Experiment with different brands in the store before buying, since they all fit differently ... some much slimmer than others.

Go custom. The shirt will fit you very well while minimizing any potential poofiness. They can be had for ~$50-70 each and are a solid investment in your personal appearance.

All good suggestions. I have the same problem- if I'm not wearing a fitted shirt I look like the Michelin Man. I'm young enough to pull off not tucking in a dress shirt, which I do unless I'm wearing a suit jacket or a fitted shirt.

Wear a jacket, Just kidding

I have that problem, sometimes as well. I just swing thru the restroom and tuck my shirt back in a couple of times a day in my travells around the office.

ive seen lots and lots of high power guys in public with the same thing going on. i wouldnt worry about it. just make it look good :biggrin:

You may consider fitted shirts. The cut is closer to the body. This works really well with slim gents.

I was thinking the same thing. I like the fitted shirts from Lands End. The arm holes are cut closer to your arm pits, so raising your arms does not result in the shirt becoming untucked. Given the amount of moving around you do during the day, this may help.

Are you slim, or a bit heavier?

Top Bottom