What's new

Reflective Work Shirts or a Vest?

Hey All,

Took a job recently with a local city as the Public Works Director. My job will be 70% "in the field" and the rest as an office guy/meeting attender. Most days I'll be doing both- so I'm thinking button down long sleeve shirts with reflective tape. I'm pretty sure I'll have to find something on-line. Any recommendations on brands or websites? Amazon has 10,000 choices that range greatly in price.

My other option is to just dress nicely and wear a vest when needed, but I think I'd prefer just wearing a reflective shirt and cutting out a step.

So, what do ya think? Thanks in advance.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
As a guy who wore the gear for 23 years - go with the vest. Numerous reasons.
When it's cold or rainy, your coat hides a shirt, but the vest can go on the outside.
Washing is heck on high vis shirts. A vest needs to be washed less frequently.
Replacement cost for a vest vs shirts a no brainer.
The vest gives you pockets for safety glasses, hearing protection and various odds and ends.
Vests have attachment points for tool lanyards, and for a radio if you need one.

Rudy Vey

Shaving baby skin and turkey necks
I'll also mention that different jobs have different requirements from OSHA on how much area a vest or shirt must be covered with reflective material.
Something to bear in mind.
agree, still have an orange and a yellow vest in my trunk....never know what the customer requires...

As a guy who wore the gear for 23 years - go with the vest. Numerous reasons.
When it's cold or rainy, your coat hides a shirt, but the vest can go on the outside.
Washing is heck on high vis shirts. A vest needs to be washed less frequently.
Replacement cost for a vest vs shirts a no brainer.
The vest gives you pockets for safety glasses, hearing protection and various odds and ends.
Vests have attachment points for tool lanyards, and for a radio if you need one.
Some good points, Phil. I didn't even know that vests have all these options now. I had to wear one numerous times in my Law-Enforcement career but the PD must have bought the cheapest ones available at that time. They were thin mesh, had flimsy velcro snaps and were "one size fits all" if you were 110lbs or less.

The City (the same one I was a police officer in for 20+ years) gives us a $250 yearly clothing allowance. I'm excited for that. I'll have to go looking for some nicer vests this weekend at the one AG Supply store we have in town. New boots may trump everything, though. We'll see. Thanks for the insight, everyone!

After I retired, I volunteered with the local emergency management agency. One thing I did for several years was participate with the search and rescue team. Since searches can happen in all kinds of weather and any time of day, I purchased a parka (Tingley brand) that is designed for high visibility. The parka accommodated a zip-in liner when things got cold. It was also big enough to go over a yellow hoodie. When temperatures were well below freezing, I wore thermal underwear, the hoodie, the parka with liner, and a warm hat. The parka really helped when we were out in the woods at night during the rain. While I got the parka length, you can also get them in bomber jacket length. In warmer weather, a reflective vest is a better option, but the reflective jacket works better in colder weather.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
Don't cheap out on good safety boots.
While it's possible to drop your entire clothing allowance on boots, there are fantastic boots out there for half as much.

Don't cheap out on good safety boots.
While it's possible to drop your entire clothing allowance on boots, there are fantastic boots out there for half as much.
Probably something else I should search in the near future. I have a pair now that are decent quality and steel toe is not a requirement, so pretty confident that they will last this year.

Legion

Staff member
Vest. Then you can take it off when you go for lunch, the bar on the way home, etc.

The safety shirts are always made from uncomfortable synthetic material.

I concur, we have safety shirts but most big sites require a vest, winter I use the t shirt style with sleeves because it's warmer. Summer the vest sleeveless style ..it's cooler. They also keep you cleaner. Some are free, a couple I bought. Rotate and clean. Good ones are under 20 bucks. Also some sites require cut resistant gloves even if your there to deliver an envelope .lol. Hard hat , eyes(clear and tint) and ears. Some places will have boxes out for new people, I always keep those as backup and stashed . Also a pair of muck boots are a life saver. The name brand ones I pass on. I get the Servus green ones at rural king and online for 30-45 bucks. Last 6-9 months of daily use and saves your good boots.

I agree with the consensus on this one, but I'll add to get yourself TWO vests. One that you could leave in your vehicle/"field bag" so that you KNOW you will always have it with you, and another that you could leave in the office. This way if you weren't planning to go into the office, but got called into the field first thing, you know you are covered.
Also, as mentioned, don't cheap out on the boots. Double check to make sure that you aren't required for steel toes in some circumstances. Also, see if they really require STEEL toes or if a COMPOSITE toe is an option. Composite toes are much lighter and, for me, more comfortable. I tend to wear my composite toes everywhere for work. 1, they pay for them, so might as well not put the wear into my personal shoes. 2, I don't have to think about what shoes I'm wearing before walking out onto the floor.

Honestly VEST COLOR is big Consideration, it ought to choose a BEST COLOR. Orange v/s Yellow, million dollar question? Hate to say it if your out working, and some I could care less person do see you color don't matter. Been hit wearing both colors on bikes, and motorcycles.

Local Police Department just got NEW BMW Motors, Officers Dress in Black/Blue Cop Uniforms, with Black Helmets. Some minimal striping and words POLICE on Bmers. They for most part are putting live many time daily in danger.

Makes no sense to try to be stealth, people take out more motorcyclist turning left into their path.

BradWorld

Dances with Wolfs
Funny coincidence. I read this post today over breakfast. Went to the job site. And they handed me a blue hi-viz vest. True story! It doesn’t happen often. But today it did. Working at the expo center in Paris this week.

Edge of my lane

1. Concur re vest

2. Concure re quality footwear. Indeed, buy 2 pr and rotate them on a daily basis and they will last far longer than wearing one pair until worn out and then buying/wearing pir two.

3. My son spent a summer loading/unloading/washing/greasing rental equipment such as "bobcats" etc.
Nearly to a man, the worker guys that were coming thru used pull on v lace up steel toed work boots. He asked a older gent (in spanish) why and the gentleman told him, no laces to ever get caught in anything and just a lot easier to put/on and take off. FWIW.
4. Congrats and best of luck in your new endeavor.

PS- Quality merino wool socks are a God Send. Costco/Kirkland Brand are the intersection of quality/value. Darn Tough, Icebreaker, Smart Wool and Thorlo are all solid choices as well. Look for socks that have 50% merino or better. I avoid cotton socks like the plague because they get wet and stay wet feeling crappy and wet can equal friction which can led to hot spots etc.

Since this thread got bumped back up, here's an update.

I did go for the vest. The shop closet had numerous ones so I didn't have to buy anything. It's got 4 different pockets and I wind up wearing it all day long. I can carry my phone, pen, nicotine, notepad, etc. and it saves my work shirts from getting even more messed up than normal.

I used my clothing allowance on jeans and a good pair of Georgia Boots. I'm wearing out the boots I already had (2 pairs of inexpensive ones and rotating them) before going with these. My plan is to use that yearly allowance to keep buying boots and having a "new" pair in reserve for meetings and classes. I'm very happy with the Georgia Boots so far just wearing them around town and the house. Apparently, they're made by Rocky.

The new job is going well. I've been there almost a month now. The guys under me are good folks and dependable. I'm a bit overwhelmed at trying to learn everything, deal with the public and city officials and trying to put a dent in a stack of work orders that basically hadn't been touched in a year before I got there. I'm signed up for a week long conference in October to learn more as a "beginner". Looking forward to that.

Thanks for all the recommendations. I took them. ;)

Rudy Vey

Shaving baby skin and turkey necks
Since this thread got bumped back up, here's an update.

I did go for the vest. The shop closet had numerous ones so I didn't have to buy anything. It's got 4 different pockets and I wind up wearing it all day long. I can carry my phone, pen, nicotine, notepad, etc. and it saves my work shirts from getting even more messed up than normal.

I used my clothing allowance on jeans and a good pair of Georgia Boots. I'm wearing out the boots I already had (2 pairs of inexpensive ones and rotating them) before going with these. My plan is to use that yearly allowance to keep buying boots and having a "new" pair in reserve for meetings and classes. I'm very happy with the Georgia Boots so far just wearing them around town and the house. Apparently, they're made by Rocky.

The new job is going well. I've been there almost a month now. The guys under me are good folks and dependable. I'm a bit overwhelmed at trying to learn everything, deal with the public and city officials and trying to put a dent in a stack of work orders that basically hadn't been touched in a year before I got there. I'm signed up for a week long conference in October to learn more as a "beginner". Looking forward to that.

Thanks for all the recommendations. I took them. ;)
I do not know what kind of style boots you need, but my last pair of safety shoes prior to retiring were Sketchers - the most comfy safety shoes I ever had, and they have also steel toes as this is required in the plants I went to.

My career has been in automation and robotics sales. I have always gone with the vest option over the top of my office clothes.

I am typically in an office and venture out into the factory when on a customer site tour and/or to inspect products or process. This my best remains very clean and I’m sure the factory folks must roll their eyes when they see me.

During the winter as someone said, you can get a hi-via coat/jacket which is easier than layering up your vest over the top of everything.

I agree with the others on footwear - I typically carry my safety shoes with me and change into them when needed. Composite toe for lightness.

As an aside, I am always amazed at the variety of PPE requirements which exist between companies, even large ones.

Vest looks professional.
Steel top boots also.
Good quality PPE will save you. Never mind the requirements, you use PPE for yourself.

Vest
My work requires hi vis all day. The only time I think a hi vis shirt would be beneficial is in the hot summer when wearing layers (like with a vest) would over heat you.

Top Bottom