What's new

A stupid question re: dress shirts

I'm a tad bit larger, but not obese or "large" - just not slender.

I'm going to try some suggestions, and take one of my shirts by a tailor to see if that improves anything.

I just received a job offer that dictates professional dress as it stands, so now - this is of real concern, and not just a matter of choice :)

Suzuki

Moderator Emeritus
While fitted shirts may be an option depending on your body type, if you're somewhere between the Michelin Man and buff, any decent tailor can take in a shirt to remove excess material for a reasonable fee.

Doc4

I'm calling the U.N.
Moderator Emeritus
I'm a tad bit larger, but not obese or "large" - just not slender.

I'm going to try some suggestions, and take one of my shirts by a tailor to see if that improves anything.

I just received a job offer that dictates professional dress as it stands, so now - this is of real concern, and not just a matter of choice :)
Congrats on the job ... of course, if that means you have to (or "get to" :wink:) wear a suit or sports jacket at work, the poofiness is covered up, and problem solved.

A lot of the different brands of "fitted shirts" are designed to fit guys in your description ... Tyrwhitt probably fits your description for example. It's the really "fashion-y" fashion houses (Dolce & Gabanna &c no doubt) that make shirts that closely fit model-skinny guys.

The type of fabric can make a difference in how well a shirt stays tucked in. From my experience, a finer and smoother broadcloth weave may come untucked more readily than coarser oxford fabric. Also, starched shirts have a certain slickness that lend themselves to sliding, although they do look great.

I've encountered the same problem.... its most definately my chair at the office that does it. My chair at home doesn't at all. One is cloth, the other is leather.

Anyway, at the office, its pretty much standard that I'll give a quick tuck as soon as I stand up... and 2-3 times a day I'm in the restroom to give a full proper redress. I know Dockers makes some pants with "shirt stopper" or something inside the waste band that is meant to keep shirts from slipping out. I have one pair and it works ok. But I only wear Dockers maybe twice a month....

Are you slim, or a bit heavier?
That's the nicest way I heard anyone get asked, "Are you fat?" :lol:

While fitted shirts may be an option depending on your body type, if you're somewhere between the Michelin Man and buff, any decent tailor can take in a shirt to remove excess material for a reasonable fee.
I think I resemble that remark,

You may want a bit of "poofiness" as a shiled in case you have to engage in a rubber band war. Just saying...:tongue_sm

When I was younger, longer ago that I care to mention, most tidy trousers had a rubbery band around the inside of the waistband, to keep your shirt in. Looking through my current wardrobe, there is only one pair with this.

Why did they stop this? More profit I guess.

Gareth