What's new

A newbie’s journey into DE shaving

thombrogan

Lounging On The Isle Of Tugsley.
Shave my right side with my right hand this time (I am a lefty)

That’s how I use my razors, too. Took a while, but now I’m slightly better with my right hand than my left. A mixture of thinking I’ll move to open blade razors and fear of losing use of the left side of my body if I have a stroke prompted me.

Date:24.09.2022
Focused participations:24/30 Days in GRUME (formally out at 3.3% but no new purchases)
267/267 in 365 days of shaving (100%)
Other participations:Steep Angle Shaving Alliance
Shave of the Week Society
Razor:Razorine Flatboy 72
Blade:Personna Red Israeli (8)
Brush:Razorock Plissoft 400
Soap:Haslinger Sandelholz
Bowl:Kox Enamel
Preshave:Cold splash
Postshave:Floïd’s The Genuine (A/S)
Nivea Sensitive (Balm)
Passes:WTG | ATG + Jaw touch up
Efficiency:9/10 (15 minutes)
Quality:5/10 (Multiple tiny weepers)
Comfort:7/10 (Light scraping sensation)
Effectiveness:9/10 (BBS)

I am going to put this either in the blade or me for doing my right side right handed, but definitely less comfortable and smooth than last time I used the Flatboy with this blade. Nothing to fuss about too much, because the overall shave was just nice. Excellent performance by the Plissoft and Haslinger. Excellent combination!

I sort of committed myself to use this setup for the entire week, but I can already sense my RRA (Razor Rotation Anxiety aka stress from having to choose) building so not sure if I can complete the ride. Fun to try though.

Date:25.09.2022
Focused participations:25/30 Days in GRUME (formally out at 3.3% but no new purchases)
268/268 in 365 days of shaving (100%)
Blade:Personna Red Israeli (9)
Brush:De Vergulde Hand
Proraso Green preshave
Postshave:Chanel Allure (Balm)
Quality:8/10 (Couple of tiny weepers)
Comfort:8/10 (Light scraping sensation)

It was the blade so after the shave I retired it. No need to worry as brother @JAHE provided me with a couple of cases of Personna’s - so life is good. I think 7 is about the amount for me per blade.

Everything else was the same being in SWS (cannot make any promises for tomorrow!). The Flatboy is an amazingly effective razor. Two passes and some jaw touch up and I am done. Only the R41 in my collection can rival with that and I find the R41 more comfortable at the moment - but that could have been the blade again. Paired with a Dorco Titan the Flatboy is about as smooth.

Have a great Sunday everyone.

Date:25.09.2022
Focused participations:25/30 Days in GRUME (formally out at 3.3% but no new purchases)
268/268 in 365 days of shaving (100%)
Blade:Personna Red Israeli (9)
Brush:De Vergulde Hand
Proraso Green preshave
Postshave:Chanel Allure (Balm)
Quality:8/10 (Couple of tiny weepers)
Comfort:8/10 (Light scraping sensation)

It was the blade so after the shave I retired it. No need to worry as brother @JAHE provided me with a couple of cases of Personna’s - so life is good. I think 7 is about the amount for me per blade.

Everything else was the same being in SWS (cannot make any promises for tomorrow!). The Flatboy is an amazingly effective razor. Two passes and some jaw touch up and I am done. Only the R41 in my collection can rival with that and I find the R41 more comfortable at the moment - but that could have been the blade again. Paired with a Dorco Titan the Flatboy is about as smooth.

Have a great Sunday everyone.
Excellent blade count. I rarely get more than 4 or 5 shaves out of them. 👍

Date:26.09.2022
Focused participations:26/30 Days in GRUME (formally out at 3.3% but no new purchases)
269/269 in 365 days of shaving (100%)
Blade:Personna Red Israeli (1)
Brush:Omega Super Badger
Proraso Green preshave
Postshave:Cold face wash
Chanel Allure (Balm)
Passes:WTG | XTG | ATG
Efficiency:8/10 (20 minutes)
Quality:5/10 (Cut left of my lips)
Comfort:7/10 (Neutral sensation)

Three times was not a charm today because of user cockiness. Two passes was already good. Minor weepers because the blade had to break in, but I needed to chase the BBS. I should have stopped at two and the Flatboy was uncompromising in letting me know: a small cut just left of my lips.

Everything else was the same as yesterday. New blade performed well too. Reminds me of a Tiger Platinum in my opinion. I get the same amount of mileage too on both blades.

Date:27.09.2022
Focused participations:27/30 Days in GRUME (formally out at 3.3% but no new purchases)
270/270 in 365 days of shaving (100%)
Razor:Gillette NEW LC
Blade:Personna Red Israeli (2)
Proraso Green preshave
Chanel Allure (Balm)
Passes:WTG | ATG and touch ups
Quality:9/10 (minor weeper)
Comfort:8.5/10 (very comfortable)
Effectiveness:8/10 (DFS+)

I received my new NEW over the mail yesterday from the US. I will write a separate review on the razor as well. Originally I placed a bid on the razor because of the common bar handle which I wanted for my Flat Bottom New. Then @lasta convinced me not to dismiss the NEW LC just yet (I had already stored it away).

So I broke SWS this morning to give her a go. Kept blade and soap consistent to keep with SWS as much as I could.

Stubble was less than usual because the Flatboy and Personna did an outstanding job yesterday. I was still sufficiently smooth when going to bed. Awesome.

The shave today with the NEW LC was awesome as well. Its geometry is the same as the NFB s as far as my eyes can tell, but strangely enough this was a smoother more comfortable shave. I find the NFB more of a rake during shaving. Fatips for example are more rounded in their combs.

But this was a very nice experience and I am glad for this forum where we can support and challenge each other into better shaves. So hats off to @lasta for this one. New razor added to the rotation. And after clean up in a very well conditioned state - including shipping for the price of a FOCS that is very ok in my book! My Razor Rotation Anxiety is having a ball!

Will use the NFB tomorrow to note differences.

Enjoy your day!

Guido

lasta

Blade Biter
but strangely enough this was a smoother more comfortable shave.
Support, challenge, and make us second guess ourselves apparently!

I've gone through the Gillette New phase a few months ago as well. Amongst the US LC, Flat Bottom, RFB, and English Goodwill, I thought they performed more or less equal. Now, I only have the RFB and SC, your post makes me what to re-evaluate them again:c14:

Support, challenge, and make us second guess ourselves apparently!

I've gone through the Gillette New phase a few months ago as well. Amongst the US LC, Flat Bottom, RFB, and English Goodwill, I thought they performed more or less equal. Now, I only have the RFB and SC, your post makes me what to re-evaluate them again:c14:
As I said we are here to support each other, but maybe enabling is the better term to go with! :001_rolle:001_tt2::cuppa:

Enjoy!

Guido

Date:28.09.2022
Focused participations:28/30 Days in GRUME (formally out at 3.3% but no new purchases)
271/271 in 365 days of shaving (100%)
Razor:Gillette NEW Flat Bottom
Blade:Personna Red Israeli (3)
Brush:Kox Blue Synthetic
Proraso Green preshave
Chanel Allure (Balm)
Passes:WTG | ATG and touch ups
Comfort:8/10 (comfortable)
Effectiveness:8/10 (DFS+)

I was planning to use my KCG razor originally when I remembered I had promised to shave with the Flat Bottom to note any differences from my NEW LC. It was a hard comparison to be honest - they are very similar. I do give a nodd to the NEW LC for just that little more smoothness. My NEW Flat Bottom is an amazingly efficient shaver and leaves me with more sensitive skin post shave than I get from the NEW LC. End of the story is that inspite my intentions I am actually very happy with this razor addition!:thumbup: The Common Bar Handle is an improvement for the Flat Bottom though. I feel I somehow have more control over my razor.

In keeping with SWS spirit I have held the rest consistent througout. And I have added some sort of new routine. Post shave I squeeze out my brush as usual, but rather than straight to rinsing I first use the residual soap as face and neck wash. This actually prolongues my post shave feel - liking it very much - at least with Haslinger. Haven't tried this with other soaps yet.

The Chanel balm is a combination of aftershave and balm in one and provides a cooling yet tingling sensation.

Almost at the end of GRUME September. Officially out, but no other acquisitions since. Plenty of soap and blade temptations, but remained at poise with myself.

Date:29.09.2022
Focused participations:29/30 Days in GRUME (formally out at 3.3% but no new purchases)
272/272 in 365 days of shaving (100%)
Razor:Gillette English Flat Bottom Tech
Blade:Gillette 7 o’clock yellow (4)
Brush:De Vergulde Hand Synthetic
Proraso Green preshave
Chanel Allure (Balm)
Passes:WTG | ATG | ATG
Comfort:9/10 (very comfortable)

It was time for a milder shave again after yesterday’s one. The Tech so easy to use. And three passes later clean and smooth was the result - excellent shave!

Date:30.09.2022
Focused participations:30/30 Days in GRUME (formally out at 3.3% but no new purchases)
273/273 in 365 days of shaving (100%)
Razor:Fatip Special Edition SE
Blade:King C Gillette (
Brush:Omega Super Badger
Proraso Green preshave
Chanel Allure (Balm)
Quality:10/10 (clean as a whistle)
Comfort:9/10 (super smooth)

Fatip Friday was upon me again and what a Friday it is. Last time around I thought the blade was done, but today was super smooth again. Three passes and the baby bottom appeared.

I used short almost buffing like strokes this time - seemed to work. Lather was a bit on the drier side, but still have good support to the blade and razor.

Today’s shave was also my prelaunch for OCtober. Looking forward to it!

Date:01.10.2022
Focused participations:01/31 Days in GRUME
274/274 in 365 days of shaving (100%)
01/31 OCtober
Shave of the Week Society (on hold)
Razor:Mühle R41
Blade:Dorco ST300HQ (7)
Brush:Omega Proraso
Soap:Dutchy Bergamot
Proraso Green preshave
Chanel Allure (Balm)
Quality:8/10 (two minor weepers)
Comfort:9/10 (super smooth)

Starting OCtober with the staple of open comb razors - the R41. And boy did it deliver. Two passes and I was smooth. Was using the third pass as toch up on the jaw line at first but decided to make it a full pass to get to the marble finish this razor is so renowned for. Not all bits are as marble, so 9/10 for that one. Using the excellent soap the razor was very smooth. I had the sense the blade might be over its top, but not entirely sure - although the two weepers are a giveaway. Brush lost two hairs again today and returned to its previous behaviour of sucking up my lather for the second and third pass. Hmm..

Date:02.10.2022
Focused participations:02/31 Days in GRUME
275/275 in 365 days of shaving (100%)
02/31 OCtober
Razor:Gillette NEW LC
Blade:Personna Red Israeli (4)
Soap:TGS Savage
Bowl:Proraso
Proraso Green preshave
Chanel Allure (Balm)
Passes:WXTG | ATG
Comfort:8/10 (tingling post shave)
Effectiveness:7.5/10 (DFS)

The challenge with the R41 is always the shave the day after! I took my NEW LC for a second run and it was smooth sailing. And smoother than the Flat Bottom so far. Liking this razor very much!

The blade was still comfortable, but not necessary smooth. Might be time to retire this one.

As for technique I decided to use Gillette Slides for my first pass. Worked very well. Interestingly I find that the Gillette Slant stroke appears to be more effective in view of my beard map. Something to investigate further.

Savage is an awesome soap. I smeared a tiny spoon on the bottom of my bowl and used my Lather King to whip up a very nice lather. Post shave slightly dry skin. During the shave good glide. In fact I could do two passes in one round of lathering also because of the OC nature of the NEW LC obviously.

0B74DE34-1D6F-40D1-8507-2F4E832B8C46.jpeg

Date:03.10.2022
Focused participations:03/31 Days in GRUME
276/276 in 365 days of shaving (100%)
03/31 OCtober
Razor:Gillette NEW FB
Blade:Tiger Platinum (1)
Brush:DVH Synthetic
Soap:TGS Sea Citrus
Proraso Green preshave
Chanel Allure (Balm)
Passes:WTG (Gillette Slant) | XTG (Gillette Slide) | ATG (usual)
Quality:10/10 (Clean)
Comfort:7/10 (some rougher strokes)

Continuing OCtober with my NEW Flat Bottom and a fresh Tiger blade. A nice and comfortable shave with rougher experiences around the chin and under the chin areas. Nice finish and feeling very fine.

I changed my approach and did slanted strokes on the first WTG pass to follow up with slided strokes on the second XTG pass. I held the razor in normal position for the ATG. This is a revisit to my technique from a couple of months ago and it does the job well.

The blade is forgiving and yet sharp. Out of all my blades it is the one I have the most challenge with - it’s either wonderful or is tugging from the start. This one started out nicely.

Sea Citrus is a wonderful soap that lathers superbly in part thanks to the qualities of the De Vergulde Hand brush. Nice fresh scent as well. LOTH stamp of approval too.

07B430B4-73FD-48B7-8243-EB16C5792000.jpeg

Date:04.10.2022
Focused participations:04/31 Days in GRUME
277/277 in 365 days of shaving (100%)
04/31 OCtober
Razor:Fatip Piccolo Nickel
Blade:Dorco Titan (9)
Proraso Green preshave
Nivea (Balm)
Quality:9.5/10 (One or two spots)
Comfort:10/10 (GlideFest)
Effectiveness:9.5/10 (BBS)

I was looking forward to this shave for OCtober. And boy did it deliver. The Fatip is a wonderful razor and I am so in love with its design and simplicity. If I had to choose one razor I would really have a hard time picking the one, but my Piccolos definitely make the short list.

Meanwhile the Titan keeps on performing as well. Prior to this month I used a SB baseplate with this Piccolo, but it performs equally well with an OC baseplate.

My technique alternation seems to pay off and a very smooth face was my reward. I did my ATG more with buffing strokes this time which seems to benefit as well.

This soap is amazing! Nice smell and mega lather today. I wash my face post shave with the remaining lather lately and this was buttery smooth to the skin. Nice!

D554E7A0-51D1-4C66-9E24-25CCB9C8E590.jpeg

lasta

Blade Biter
04/31 OCtober
Proraso Green preshave
Nivea (Balm)

I was looking forward to this shave for OCtober. And boy did it deliver. The Fatip is a wonderful razor and I am so in love with its design and simplicity. If I had to choose one razor I would really have a hard time picking the one, but my Piccolos definitely make the short list.

Meanwhile the Titan keeps on performing as well. Prior to this month I used a SB baseplate with this Piccolo, but it performs equally well with an OC baseplate.

My technique alternation seems to pay off and a very smooth face was my reward. I did my ATG more with buffing strokes this time which seems to benefit as well.

This soap is amazing! Nice smell and mega lather today. I wash my face post shave with the remaining lather lately and this was buttery smooth to the skin. Nice!

View attachment 1533193
That's a beautiful platter. Does your good woman bring it to you like that in the mornings? :c1:

04/31 OCtober
Proraso Green preshave
Nivea (Balm)

View attachment 1533193
Nice shave indeed sir….I like the idea of buffing on the ATG. Take care and enjoy your Tuesday. I’m still sleeping but typing in my sleep!😉

That's a beautiful platter. Does your good woman bring it to you like that in the mornings? :c1:
No, she steers clear off everything shave related! She thinks the world of me when I talk about shaving :out:

It’s actually one of those “o that looks nice in the bathroom” type of platters. There are usually one or two Oral B brushes on there.

But it also makes a good backdrop for pictures - I have been in the picture mood lately.

Cheers,

Guido

Top Bottom