Postshave
Cold splash
Proraso Green
Tallowbac
Kox Enamel & Proraso
Cold splash
Proraso Green (balm)

Notes:

Second run with the Feather blade. Supposedly Feather are sharper the second run. Which maybe was the case as I nicked myself, but simultaneously I found the blade to be significantly less smooth on the first few strokes than yesterday.

But man! After only one pass I was already pretty smooth - CCS level. Second pass was the money pass and BBS the reward. Extremely good combination so far with the R41. And after two runs I think the Feather outperforms my other blades in results - wondering what the longevity will be for me. And it may be time to finally try that BIC blade as well.

Journal link:

Link to today's ponderings: A newbies journey into DE shaving - https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/threads/a-newbies-journey-into-de-shaving.622889/post-11961548
The Feather and Bic are some of the best Guido!!😊👍💈

I place BIC blades right up there with Voskhod blades.

FIFY

~doug~
Paraphrasing Hannibal from the A-Team here:

I love it when your mileage varies!

I have a tuck of Gillette Platinums courtesy of JAHE and they are wonderful shavers. Not as effective as these Feathers, but I believe smoother (at least the first few shaves).

Tomorrow I am trying a blade provided by Jack Goossen: Gillette 7 o’clock black from India.

Guido

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
Paraphrasing Hannibal from the A-Team here:

I love it when your mileage varies!

I have a tuck of Gillette Platinums courtesy of JAHE and they are wonderful shavers. Not as effective as these Feathers, but I believe smoother (at least the first few shaves).

Tomorrow I am trying a blade provided by Jack Goossen: Gillette 7 o’clock black from India.

Guido
I've been using the 7 O'clock blacks for the past couple DE shaves. I like them as much as I do the KCG blades. I have several others in queue. I'm so new to DE shaving, I am just following what a few other guys have been using and enjoying.

I've been using the 7 O'clock blacks for the past couple DE shaves. I like them as much as I do the KCG blades. I have several others in queue. I'm so new to DE shaving, I am just following what a few other guys have been using and enjoying.
Same here Kim. I started out with a KCG razor and blades, liked the blades and bought them in bulk just in case. Then I ventured out based on reviews by others or based on my madness (I think Doug @Rosseforp is actually not that far off with his assessment!) to buy 100-200 of an unknown blade and see where it will take me. Knock on wood, I have good performing blades so far. Tiger Platinums are in bulk present but also still under investigation to improve their performance somewhat.

Guido

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents
I've got a tuck of Gillette 7 o'clock black blades from India I have been wanting to try.

Feather blades were my go-to-blade at first, used them in everything my first year wet shaving. When they began to struggle with my wiry white stubble, I found Gillette Platinums the next best blade for me. Wizamet blades are right up there too.
And I must put in a high five for the Van Der Hagen blade I just got seven wonderful shaves from.
I've been using the 7 O'clock blacks for the past couple DE shaves. I like them as much as I do the KCG blades.
I really like the KCG blades.:thumbup1:

~doug~

Date
365 days of shaving284/284
(100%)
GRUME30/31 (97% out)
OCtober11/31 (100%)
Tabactober6/31 (81%)

Passes2
WTGGillette Slant
(NE-SW)

ATGStraight
(S-N)

Efficiency & Effectiveness
Quality & Comfort
9/10 (~15 minutes)
8.5/10 (BBS-)
8/10 (Nick on the cheek)
9/10 (Buttery smooth)

Razor
Blade
Brush
Gillette NEW Flat Bottom
Gillette 7o’clock black (1)
DVH Synthetic
Preshave
Soap & Bowl
Postshave
Cold splash
Proraso Green
Tallowbac
Kox Enamel
Cold splash
Chanel Allure (balm)

Notes:

First run with the second blade provided by @Jack Goossen. I would say the sharpness is slightly less than the Feather, but this is compensated by a higher level of smoothness (on the first run). After the first pass I was socially acceptable and the second pass was the money pass. What I do notice is that these past few days I have brought out the alum block more than the previous months combined. These blades are really sharp - or the Gillette went over a short where the Feather scaled my skin three days before. Overall a very nice blade. Looking forward to tomorrow’s second shave with it! Thanks Jack.

I kept the technique straightforward which worked obviously and I assumed for two pass shave as well so no XTG. If I would take more time I might get even smoother or at least finish the shave without bloodshed.

Tabac lathered extremely well straight from the puck to the face. No remarks by the LOTH about the scent today - so maybe I need to stick with face lathering as far as Tabac is concerned, which is interesting because @JAHE ’s comment has merit (face lathering should drive the scent more into your skin). Well given my other quirks, my personality fits the bill to be the odd one out!

Journal link:

Ponderings from today’s shave can be found here: A newbies journey into DE shaving - https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/threads/a-newbies-journey-into-de-shaving.622889/post-11962076

Date
365 days of shaving286/285
(100%)
GRUME30/31 (97% out)
OCtober12/31 (100%)
Tabactober7/31 (87%)

Passes2
WTGGillette Slant
(NE-SW)

ATGStraight
(S-N)

Quality & Comfort
9/10 (~15 minutes)
8/10 (DFS+)
10/10 (Clean)
9/10 (Buttery smooth)

Razor
Blade
Brush
Gillette NEW LC
Gillette 7o’clock black (2)
Kox Blue Synthetic
Preshave
Soap & Bowl
Postshave
Cold splash
Proraso Green
Tallowbac
Kox Enamel
Cold splash
Chanel Allure (balm)

Notes:

Second run with the Gillette Black and smoother than yesterday. Sharpness seemed to have tamed down too which is nice. i felt the razor was smoother as well.

Continuing my two pass shaves here although there was less stubble as I shaved late afternoon yesterday too. I wanted to look presentable for my lecture so I did a one pass WTG with the R41 and Feather.

All other factors were similar to yesterday. Tabac performed as usual. This soap is really growing on me.

Excellent shave with nice results - not everywhere a full BBS but I am the only one to know.

Ready for an important interview today.

Journal link:

Ponderings from today’s shave can be found here:A newbies journey into DE shaving - https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/threads/a-newbies-journey-into-de-shaving.622889/post-11964155

lasta

Blade Biter
Date
(100%)
GRUME30/31 (97% out)
OCtober12/31 (100%)
Tabactober7/31 (87%)

Passes2
WTGGillette Slant
(NE-SW)

ATGStraight
(S-N)

Quality & Comfort
9/10 (~15 minutes)
8/10 (DFS+)
10/10 (Clean)
9/10 (Buttery smooth)

Razor
Blade
Brush
Gillette NEW LC
Kox Blue Synthetic
Preshave
Soap & Bowl
Postshave
Cold splash
Proraso Green
Tallowbac
Kox Enamel
Cold splash
Chanel Allure (balm)

Notes:

Second run with the Gillette Black and smoother than yesterday. Sharpness seemed to have tamed down too which is nice. i felt the razor was smoother as well.

Continuing my two pass shaves here although there was less stubble as I shaved late afternoon yesterday too. I wanted to look presentable for my lecture so I did a one pass WTG with the R41 and Feather.

All other factors were similar to yesterday. Tabac performed as usual. This soap is really growing on me.

Excellent shave with nice results - not everywhere a full BBS but I am the only one to know.

Journal link:

Ponderings from today’s shave can be found here:A newbies journey into DE shaving - https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/threads/a-newbies-journey-into-de-shaving.622889/post-11964155

Good luck on your interview!

A happpy-go-lucky CPA is a rare combo, I'm sure your services will be in high demand.

Date
(100%)
GRUME30/31 (97% out)
OCtober12/31 (100%)
Tabactober7/31 (87%)

Passes2
WTGGillette Slant
(NE-SW)

ATGStraight
(S-N)

Quality & Comfort
9/10 (~15 minutes)
8/10 (DFS+)
10/10 (Clean)
9/10 (Buttery smooth)

Razor
Blade
Brush
Gillette NEW LC
Kox Blue Synthetic
Preshave
Soap & Bowl
Postshave
Cold splash
Proraso Green
Tallowbac
Kox Enamel
Cold splash
Chanel Allure (balm)

Notes:

Journal link:

Wishing you the best Guido for that interview 😊👍

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
Thanks Butch - I can say for now the interview went very well. When I can I will update the brotherhood on background and context.

Cheers,

Guido
I'm glad to hear the interview went well.... I was going to wish you well on that but I am a tad late...

So I hope you get the end results for which you are hoping.

Date
365 days of shaving287/286
(100%)
GRUME30/31 (97% out)
OCtober13/31 (100%)
Tabactober8/31 (87%)

Passes2
WTGGillette Slant
(NE-SW)

ATGStraight
(S-N)

Quality & Comfort
9/10 (~15 minutes)
8/10 (DFS+)
9/10 (minor weeper)
9/10 (Buttery smooth)

Razor
Blade
Brush
Fatip OC nickel
Feather (3)
Omega Proraso
Preshave
Soap & Bowl
Postshave
Cold splash
Proraso Green
Tallowbac
Kox Enamel
Cold splash
Chanel Allure (balm)

Notes:

i dared to combine my Fatip with a Feather blade thinking that is I can do it with the R41 I should be able to do it with a Fatip. And boy did it deliver! If I would have been just a little more deliberate with my strokes this could have been a one pass DFS/BBS shave!! Amazing!

Tabac performed as usual. Lather was dry in the beginning and this had the effect JAHE referred to earlier - the scent came on stronger in my skin. Very noticeable for the LOTH (‘I still prefer Proraso). With a splash and extra rinse al was well again. Very nice glide and support to blade and razor.

Excellent shave with nice results - not everywhere a full BBS but a DFS was had.

Journal link:

Ponderings from today’s shave can be found here:A newbies journey into DE shaving - https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/threads/a-newbies-journey-into-de-shaving.622889/post-11965646

Top Bottom