What's new

A newbie’s journey into DE shaving

thombrogan

Lounging On The Isle Of Tugsley.
Folks in the general chat said it’s your anniversary?! Did I miss that with my poor reading skills?

Folks in the general chat said it’s your anniversary?! Did I miss that with my poor reading skills?
What can I say dear Thom - without anaesthetic: yeah you did :blink: - still think you’re ok, though:blush: - date subtitle was a dead giveaway:laugh:

I am still relatively young in the anniversary department - 18 years and counting. My parents are celebrating their 50th next month!

Guido

But then again Thom @thombrogan - you were the only one picking up on the fact it wasn’t my most enjoyable shave. That must count for something.

Cheers,

Guido

thombrogan

Lounging On The Isle Of Tugsley.
Yes, hyper-fixation and poor reading comprehension make for lots of awkwardness! I see I skipped over “Anniversary Saturday” in my rush to see you used a Razorine Flatboy. D’oh!

Happy Anniversary! And Happy Golden Anniversary to your parents!

So tell me more about the brush, please

Yes, hyper-fixation and poor reading comprehension make for lots of awkwardness! I see I skipped over “Anniversary Saturday” in my rush to see you used a Razorine Flatboy. D’oh!

Happy Anniversary! And Happy Golden Anniversary to your parents!

So tell me more about the brush, please
That’s Thom, very much appreciated.

The brush is on the smaller side (22mm). Synthetic boar by De Vergulde Hand (I misspelled the abbreviation). Or at least I think they went for boar and synthetic, because DVH is not really detailed in their product disclosures. Same with their pucks. Only high level information on what is in there. And given that it is available from the local drug store made it easy to pick up. It went for just under €9 so no real harm done.

Guido

Date:27.08.2022 Anniversary Saturday
Focused participations:27/31 Days in GRUME (out at 64.52%)
238/239 in 365 days of shaving (99.58%)
Other participations:Steep Angle Shaving Alliance
High Efficiency Razors Summer
Mild to Medium August
All Aventus August
Razor:Gillette Flat Bottom New
Blade:Personna Platinum Israeli (3)
Brush:De Vergulde Hand Synthetic Badger
Soap:TGS Orange Empire
Bowl:Face lather
Preshave:Cold splash
Postshave:Proraso Green (A/S)
Proraso Green (Balm)
Passes:WTG (NE-SW) | Gillette Slant
ATG (S-N) | Slightly Gillette Slant

Cheeks only
Efficiency:9/10 (15 minutes)
Quality:8/10 (Weeper on the chin)
Comfort:7/10 (Easy going)
Effectiveness:8/10 (BBS-)
Notes:
The DVH lathered up immediately and has nice splay to it too. Nice brush.

After thorough cleaning and sanetising the new addition to the collection I just had to shave with it. And although my skin was still a bit soar from this morning’s shave I found it to be quite wonderful. The Personna felt slightly rough - but I must admit I had not attended much to my usual preshave routine.

The combo was very effective with a nice BBSish result to show for it. Left my neck largely untouched to recoup from the Razorine/Shark treatment.

This first run was great - slightly more blade feel than the Flat Bottom Tech, and still a great shave.

And for the record some pictures. First one is a crop from the original posting on the Bay (and therefore not mine) for before and after comparisons.

C2CFEE0D-1B39-4860-869E-97523494BCB5.jpeg

F1A906A0-533C-4F2F-9633-3A0438D9E0E3.jpeg

FFFCA776-E04B-407D-A967-350186DC56C6.jpeg

As you can see the baseplate has horizontal linings which the cap has as well. This secures the blade even more in place.

The Bakelite case was in mint condition as far as I could tell. Really great find if I say so myself.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
237/239 in 365 days of shaving (99.11%)
Mild to Medium August
All Aventus August
Razor:Razorine Flatboy with KCG handle
Blade:Shark Chrome (1)
Brush:Unbranded synthetic
Soap:The AlphaMen 2.0
Postshave:Alum
Nivea Sensitive (Balm)
Proraso Green (Balm)
2x XTG (W-E) | Slightly Gillette Slant
Quality:5/10 (Cut near Adam’s apple)
Comfort:5/10 (Bit rough)
Effectiveness:6/10 (DFS-)
Notes:
Not what I had hoped for today. It started out alright with blade feel but nothing wrong with that.

On the first pass on the neck a huge user error made an end to the smoothness. I decided to do SE-NW after my usual NE-SE. Under normal conditions that is no problem at all. I was holding the Flatboy and this the blade perpendicular to my neck during that decision. And that’s when the Shark saw its chance for blood. All week during Shark week nothing whatsoever. Let your guard down on a random Saturday and you get bit. At first I thought it was just a nick, but as I progressed to my other cheek I was seriously drawing blood. So much so I had to bring out the alum which was tucked away in my cabinet. And of all the days I could have picked I choose my anniversary (the mrs had similar thoughts when I came downstairs)!

Glad at the moment I did not stock up on Sharks after Shark week, because this was no fun at all. I am going to place it on user error, but next time my preferred blades go first.

Bought a DVG synthetic to console myself. And tonight we are having dinner with the family to celebrate - she lights up my world. Period.
Ouch! :(

Hope you heal soon. 🙏

Come to think of it, I've never been a huge Shark blade fan. 🤔

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
238/239 in 365 days of shaving (99.58%)
Mild to Medium August
All Aventus August
Blade:Personna Platinum Israeli (3)
Soap:TGS Orange Empire
Proraso Green (Balm)

Cheeks only
Quality:8/10 (Weeper on the chin)
Comfort:7/10 (Easy going)
Notes:
The DVH lathered up immediately and has nice splay to it too. Nice brush.

After thorough cleaning and sanetising the new addition to the collection I just had to shave with it. And although my skin was still a bit soar from this morning’s shave I found it to be quite wonderful. The Personna felt slightly rough - but I must admit I had not attended much to my usual preshave routine.

The combo was very effective with a nice BBSish result to show for it. Left my neck largely untouched to recoup from the Razorine/Shark treatment.

This first run was great - slightly more blade feel than the Flat Bottom Tech, and still a great shave.

And for the record some pictures. First one is a crop from the original posting on the Bay (and therefore not mine) for before and after comparisons.

View attachment 1512401

View attachment 1512400

View attachment 1512402

As you can see the baseplate has horizontal linings which the cap has as well. This secures the blade even more in place.

The Bakelite case was in mint condition as far as I could tell. Really great find if I say so myself.
Love your razor. :001_wub:

Ouch! :(

Hope you heal soon. 🙏

Come to think of it, I've never been a huge Shark blade fan. 🤔
Thanks David,

Skin is healing, but the cut is going to leave a mark I am sure). For the fan part, as it currently stands, neither am I (it may have been a one off; to both sides actually) - I have more Personna’s coming in though. And I saw German Croma’s - but not a lot on B&B about that blade.

Guido

Date:28.08.2022 Smooth Sundays
Focused participations:28/31 Days in GRUME (out at 64.52%)
239/240 in 365 days of shaving (99.58%)
Mild to Medium August
All Aventus August
Blade:Personna Platinum Israeli (4)
Soap:The AlphaMen 2.0
Proraso Green preshave
Proraso Green (Balm)
Passes:WTG (NE-SW) | Gillette Slant and an occasional Gillette Slide
XTG (W-E) | Sideways Gillette Slant
Efficiency:8/10 (20 minutes)
Quality:8/10 (One or two weepers)
Comfort:9/10 (Very smooth)

A second run with the Gillette Flat Bottom New. Again used a Personna which felt ok, but I am not sure if it has the same longevity I get from my other blades. Jury is out - this was the second time in a row I had some weepers from this blade.

Now the story behind this one is that after all the talks I had with Kim (@Phoenixkh), David (@never-stop-learning), Richard (@RenoRichard) and Cal (@Cal) about the Flat Bottom Tech I was pleased with my find.

Then I read a post from Brad (@BradWorld) who said that after a EFBT you should try the NFB - same smoothness and more effectiveness. That’s when my RAD kicked in and I went on the look out for a New Flat Bottom. They are easily found by the way, but I had no idea on how to look at them from a buying standpoint and what would be fair pricing (at least one of the bids I did got rejected for being too low while I thought it was pretty high). So I let it be for a while when my conversation with @Happy Jack gave me necessary information and intel for a more focused search. Jack also put things into perspective for me. So far so good. And all items up for sale where way above those perspectives!

Then one evening I decided to search on brass handles (off topic from the New) and this time I wound up going through all the pages of my search - and as if it was meant to be on one of the final pages (I cannot remember the exact number but 350-360 something) I saw a lot with a Rolls razor (never heard of before) and a Gillette brass razor (as it was advertised). I clicked on it and the pictures where more focused on the Rolls but it appeared to be a flat bottom in a funky state. It looked like the plating was gone or that it needed a cleaning for sure.

I asked the seller if more pictures would be possible and she kindly did. And that’s when I saw the baseplate which I had seen before on Mr Razors’ excellent website. The asking price was a steal and I placed my bit. It was open for almost 5 days and Saturday last week the bidding ended and I won as sole bidder!!

After buying the lot the seller contacted me and said she found another Rolls razor which looked scrappy to her and she said she would include it for spare parts. Very kind. Although I must admit it was to do about the Gillette not the Rolls (but the ad was stated the other way around).

This Saturday the package arrived and the New was indeed in need for care and attention. I think I have spend an hour or so with soap, lemon juice, tooth brush and other cleaning stuff to see what I could make of it. Especially the lemon juice helped in removing pains and other gunk. It turned out pretty well actually and I think it is in a decent shape given its age.

The shave this morning was pleasant and smooth. Very happy with this addition. Here comes the dangerous statement: I think I am done with acquisitions. I have an OC and SB version of all the razors I now have (which is why I let a RFB go, because I don’t want to be spending time on finding a Tech Hybrid) and all varieties I had my eyes on. So I think my RAD has had its peak and can be put to bay now.

A big thank you to all who helped me in this acquisition journey - this newbie will now concentrate on improving technique and hopefully be able to pass that experience on to yet newerbies.

I will however keep feeding my other ADs as warranted: blades, brushes and soaps! Speaking of brushes here’s today’s setup with my new De Vergulde Hand synthetic badger (I think it is badger they aimed at, but the packaging didn’t say):

213FD785-18DC-422D-8026-33AE04A45759.jpeg

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
Guido, congrats on the flat bottom new. I have a British NEW Raised Flat Bottom on the way. I’m in a similar place. In addition to the BRFB, I have two BFBTs at Back Roads Gold that are being replated and will ready for me when we get back from Bali. That’s it for me until next year. I might add a modern DE first quarter of next year if I end up enjoying DE shaving or I could end up deciding, AC shaving is it for me.

I’m having wonderful shaves with my Claymore Evolution on this trip. I’m so glad I opted to bring it instead of going backwards with my Gillette Fusion Power.

Guido, congrats on the flat bottom new. I have a British NEW Raised Flat Bottom on the way. I’m in a similar place. In addition to the BRFB, I have two BFBTs at Back Roads Gold that are being replated and will ready for me when we get back from Bali. That’s it for me until next year. I might add a modern DE first quarter of next year if I end up enjoying DE shaving or I could end up deciding, AC shaving is it for me.

I’m having wonderful shaves with my Claymore Evolution on this trip. I’m so glad I opted to bring it instead of going backwards with my Gillette Fusion Power.
Thanks Kim! I will be shaving with it next week all week perhaps to get to know her better and test a number of my blades.

Hope all is well in Bali.

Guido

Date:29.08.2022 Smooth Sundays
Focused participations:29/31 Days in GRUME (out at 64.52%)
240/241 in 365 days of shaving (99.58%)
Mild to Medium August
All Aventus August
Blade:Tiger Platinum (1)
Soap:Haslinger Sandelholz
Bowl:Kox Enamel
Face lather
Proraso Green preshave
Postshave:Floïd’s (A/S)
Nivea Sensitive (Balm)
Efficiency:8/10 (20 minutes)
Quality:10/10 (Clean as a whistle)
Comfort:7/10 (Neutral -)
Great shave today with a surprise at the end. The NFB is smooth and very nimble. I am still wondering if this is the handle for me. It’s even smaller than a Piccolo. Weight is ok, it’s light but not noticeable during the shave.

The razor is smooth but the blade on its first run was not making the comfortable less than I like - managable and ok, but buttersmooth is another level. So during the shave I thought that this Personna blade just might not be for me, only to find out when cleaning my razor I was shaving with a Tiger! Tigers are rougher on the first run for me. Clamping in this NFB spot on so that could not have been the issue. We will see tomorrow if performance improves.

Haslinger is a great lathering soap which also boosts the Proraso preshave. Nice scent that continues after applying aftershave. Subtle and nice - I like that. Excellent brush by the way. Works brillantly with harder soaps. Nice backbone and comfortable to the skin.

Overall shave results were good. Effective razor which I find slightly less comfortable than the Flat Bottom Tech, but still a great little razor. I am considering putting on another handle to perhaps improve the shave some more. Something like a fat handle, but then again - as it is it is a great looker. DIY-ed my Tech razor stand to accommodate the New as well. Came out quite good, so pleased with that.

Date:29.08.2022
Focused participations:29/31 Days in GRUME (out at 64.52%)
241/241 in 365 days of shaving (100%)
Mild to Medium August
All Aventus August
Razor:Mühle R41
Blade:Gillette 365 (8)
Face lather
Postshave:Nivea (Balm)
Quality:10/10 (Clean as a whistle)
Comfort:8/10 (Smooth)
Effectiveness:9/10 (BBS)

As I need to be on the office quite early, I decided to do an evening shave. And to make sure I am at least at SAS and possibly better levels I took out the R41. Two passes with jaw touch up and BBS was achieved.

Smooth and comfortable. The Gillette 365 still performed really well. If this first blade is indicative, I am really liking it a lot!

Date:30.08.2022
Focused participations:30/31 Days in GRUME (out at 64.52%)
242/242 in 365 days of shaving (100%)
Mild to Medium August
All Aventus August
Razor:Gillette English Flat Bottom Tech
Blade:Personna Platinum Israeli (5)
Brush:Razorock Plissoft 400
Face lather
Proraso Green preshave
Postshave:Floïd's The Genuine (A/S)
Nivea (Balm)
Passes:WTG (NE-SW) | Gillette Slant and Gillette Slide

Light touch up on the jawline
Quality:9/10 (Between a nick and a weeper)
Comfort:8/10 (Smooth)
Effectiveness:9/10 (BBS)

Excellent shave using the Tech. This razor is so intuitive and so user friendly - I hardly can imagine shaving the wrong way with this razor. Still very glad to dipped this vintage pool and got this fine specimen to boot. I honestly think this is my most favorite razor, even though I love my Piccolo's.

Top Bottom