What's new

A newbie’s journey into DE shaving

• 9/30 days in GRUME June (30% completed and still in)
  • 9/30 days High Efficiency Razors in June
  • 158/159 days of 365 days of shaving (99.34%)
  • Steep Angle Shaving Alliance (SASA)
Following on from yesterday I replicated the experiment for increasing my efficiency (=time to shave), but this time with my usual Gillette Slides. Well, it was not quicker than yesterday! Actually took much longer, about 22 minutes in all (from prep to cleaning gear). If I would have done 2.5 passes only, I would have done it in 10 minutes or so, but the first pass with the Tiger was rather harsh. Not necessarily tugging, but definitely not fully comfortable. It made me slow down (hence the increase in time) and be very aware of pressure to avoid nicks or cuts (which I managed).

Second and third passes were slightly better and the fourth pass was again comfortable. The result was a plain and simple BBS, which I did not expect following that first pass. I was thinking retiring the blade as soon as possible, but given the other passes and the end result I think there still might be a shave in it. I did change the blade to the Gentile just to be sure.

TGS Chronos again a solid performer on a very small amount.

Prep:Cold splash
KCG Face Wash
Proraso Green preshave
Razor:Fatip Piccolo Nickel
Blade:Tiger Platinum (8)
Brush:Omega Proraso Boar
Cream:TGS Chronos
Bowl:Proraso
Passes:
W/XTG - Gillette Slide (NE-SW and E-W horizontal on the neck)
W/XTG - Gillette Slide (NW-SE and S-N on the neck)
A/XTG - Slightly slanted (SW-NE)
A/XTG - Slightly slanted (S-N and W-E horizontal on the neck).
Aftershave:Proraso Green
Balm:Proraso Green
Rating:9.5/10 BBS

Have a Great day everyone.

• 10/30 days in GRUME June (33% completed and still in)
  • 10/30 days High Efficiency Razors in June
  • 159/160 days of 365 days of shaving (99.34%)
Went for a three pass shave this morning with the Dorco on its 8th run. First pass slightly rougher than last time, but second and third passes were fine again. The result was a plain and simple DFS. I did change the blade to the Open Comb so that may have attributed to the harshness of the first pass.

TGS Furiah lathers excellently and had a longer lasting scent too. Smells like tobacco and lather to me.

KCG Face Wash
Proraso Green preshave
Blade:Dorco Titan (8)
Brush:Razorock 400 Plissoft Aluminium
Cream:TGS Furiah
Passes:
Rating:9.0/10 BBS

Have a Great day everyone

Ratso

Mr. Obvious

• 10/30 days in GRUME June (33% completed and still in)
  • 10/30 days High Efficiency Razors in June
  • 159/160 days of 365 days of shaving (99.34%)
Went for a three pass shave this morning with the Dorco on its 8th run. First pass slightly rougher than last time, but second and third passes were fine again. The result was a plain and simple DFS. I did change the blade to the Open Comb so that may have attributed to the harshness of the first pass.

TGS Furiah lathers excellently and had a longer lasting scent too. Smells like tobacco and lather to me.

KCG Face Wash
Proraso Green preshave
Blade:Dorco Titan (8)
Brush:Razorock 400 Plissoft Aluminium
Passes:

Are you using the Korean or Vietnamese Titan. I just ordered the Vietnamese version. They say the Vietnamese version is a better blade. I have both versions and like them both.

Thanks for asking @Ratso - these are the Vietnamese blades which I believe is a second version with better QC than the Korean one if I read the reviews correctly.

What would make them even better would be a double wrapped wax paper. But other than that an amazingly comfortable and sharp blade so far.

Best,

Guido

• 11/30 days in GRUME June (36.33% completed and still in!)
  • 11/30 days High Efficiency Razors in June
  • 160/161 days of 365 days of shaving (99.34%)
Four passes with the ninth run of the Tiger. Definitely beyond my expectations of this blade so uncharted territory here. The blade performed well. No BBS but I was not actually expecting that either and that’s ok. CCS instead and that is wonderful as well.

TGS Furiah is great as lather and worked wellthis shave. Great glide. Smell was more smokey today. One thing I noticed not to my liking: the lather is very sticky to my brushes even after rinsing and that hinders the drying process.

Did some researching on my badger brush (had this for so long that it is vintage). I think it is a Super Badger from the looks of Omega’s current brushes. Obviously not 100% sure but I think close enough.

KCG Face Wash
Proraso Green preshave
Razor:Fatip Piccolo SE Gentile
Blade:Tiger Platinum (9)
Brush:Omega Super Badger 632
Passes:

• 11/30 days in GRUME June (36.33% completed and still in!)
  • 11/30 days High Efficiency Razors in June
  • 160/161 days of 365 days of shaving (99.34%)
Four passes with the ninth run of the Tiger. Definitely beyond my expectations of this blade so uncharted territory here. The blade performed well. No BBS but I was not actually expecting that either and that’s ok. CCS instead and that is wonderful as well.

TGS Furiah is great as lather and worked wellthis shave. Great glide. Smell was more smokey today. One thing I noticed not to my liking: the lather is very sticky to my brushes even after rinsing and that hinders the drying process.

Did some researching on my badger brush (had this for so long that it is vintage). I think it is a Super Badger from the looks of Omega’s current brushes. Obviously not 100% sure but I think close enough.

KCG Face Wash
Proraso Green preshave
Blade:Tiger Platinum (9)
Passes:

Guido, 9 shaves on that Tiger is remarkable!!!

• 12/30 days in GRUME June (40% completed and still in!)
  • 12/30 days High Efficiency Razors in June
  • 161/162 days of 365 days of shaving (99.4%)
A unprecedented (for me) 10th shave with Tiger Platinum. What a blade. After careful consideration I did decide to retire the blade as I saw markings on the edge that did not disappear after cleaning and palm stropping. Definitely beyond my expectations of this blade and nice to know that it can be done. Near BBS result too so excellent Sunday Shave.

Did a classic shave - no sliding and not taking growth direction into account.

I decided to use Proraso for this shave and how I have missed it. I know there are better soaps and more expensive ones too, but Proraso Green is a joy to my face! I love the scent, the glide, the performance. I would be happy if this was my one and only soap.

KCG Face Wash
Proraso Green preshave
Blade:Tiger Platinum (10)
Brush:Razorock Plissoft 400 Aluminium
Cream:Proraso Green
Passes:
WTG / XTG / ATG(2)
Rating:10/10 DFS

• 13/30 days in GRUME June (43.33% completed and still in!)
  • 13/30 days High Efficiency Razors in June
  • 163/164 days of 365 days of shaving (99.4%)
Smooth and easy sailing with the Dorco Titan today. This is maybe becoming my most favourite blade. Maybe even better than the KCG - jury is still out. Near BBS result. Easy did it today. No hassle. Took about 15 minutes from start to finish. Could have stopped at 2 passes, even 1 perhaps, but where is the fun in that! 😎

Soap and brush were solid performers.

KCG Face Wash
Proraso Green preshave
Razor:Fatip Piccolo
Blade:Dorco Titan (9)
Passes:
WTG / XTG / ATG
Rating:10/10 DFS

• 14/30 days in GRUME June (46.66% completed and still in!)
  • 14/30 days High Efficiency Razors in June
  • 164/165 days of 365 days of shaving (99.4%)
Today's shave was FAN-TAS-TIC! End of story. I had to go to the office today and we had some school errands to do, so I did not have the usual time in the morning. I decided to skip the face wash and lathering in a bowl and after preshave go straight for a face lather. And what I also did was take more time lathering for the first pass than I usually do (which is lather up in my bowl, paint it my face once and shave). But this morning I sort of really used my brush (if that makes sense) to rotate the lather into the bristles. And just maybe that added to the stubble becoming more soft than usual?

I then went for the first pass using my normal Gillette Slide - wonderful glide and efficiency. Second pass was DFS- and I was getting ready to stop there...but I am BOSC baby! So still lathered up for a third (quick) pass and BOOM: DFS++, nearly BBS with no sweat, no irritation, no hassle. Simply amazing.

Weapon of choice was the usual Fatip and paired with my favorite KCG. This is truly a King of blades in my opinion. After the long runs with the Tiger and the Titan I almost forgot how this blade performed. Super smooth and comfortable today! And the Alpha Men 2.0 helped in that section too, because the lather is so rich and creamy. Effortless shaving.

This is what DE efficiency was all about. And the Fatip/KCG combo showed me this morning that a new razor is totally unnecessary when you get these results. Can still get them of course, but that would be totally extra's (the mrs has declared this 'hobby' to be an addiction!).

Proraso Green preshave
Razor:Fatip Piccolo SE Open Comb
Blade:KCG (6)
Cream:The Alpha Men 2.0 (Creed Clone)
Bowl:Face lather
Passes:
WXTG (2) / ATG
Slanted on the neck
Balm:Executive Man
Rating:11/10 DFS++

• 15/30 days in GRUME June (50% completed and still in!)
  • 15/30 days High Efficiency Razors in June
  • 165/166 days of 365 days of shaving (99.4%)
I washed my face again this morning and also did a face lather again. Following yesterday’s finding I took more time lathering for the first pass. In all I think lathering time for the first pass was 3x my usual time. Using the Razorock as a brush today added to the excellent experience. An excellent brush for face lathering!

I then proceeded with my normal Gillette Slide - good glide and efficiency. Second pass was DFS-. Some stubble left on the neck, but that is my toughest area. Third (quick) pass and again: DFS++, nearly BBS with no sweat, no irritation, no hassle.

I really think I am on to something with taking more lathering time. Gave my RAD some space and eyed vintage and other razors, but with these results my Piccolo is King!

Aftershave told me it was a very close shave! Same as yesterday.

KCG Face Wash
Proraso Green preshave
Blade:KCG (7)
Bowl:Face lather
Passes:
WXTG (2) / ATG
Slanted on the neck
Rating:10/10 DFS++

• 16/30 days in GRUME June (53.33% completed and still in!)
  • 16/30 days High Efficiency Razors in June
  • 166/167 days of 365 days of shaving (99.4%)
Used my new routine, but went back to bowl lathering. I again took more time lathering up for the first pass. Although the Omega is a boar brush it has a great feel to it when lathering. I used my trusty Proraso Green which I am 3017-ing at the moment. Shave was a bit rougher today due to misalignment of the blade and I only shorted that out half way rather than after the initial stroke. Therefore a few minor weepers and still a great shave!

Excellent result again after three passes! Subsequent touch up pass for me to BBS. Strokes were less sliding than I normally do, so bit of a combination stroke I guess. Still slanted though, so maybe it is time for a FOCS who knows. Aftershave confirmed it was a very close shave!

KCG Face Wash
Proraso Green preshave
Blade:KCG (8)
Bowl:Proraso Green
Passes:
WXTG (2) / ATG
Slanted on the neck
Touch up pass
Rating:9.5/10 DFS++/BBS

• 17/30 days in GRUME June (56.67% completed and still in!)
  • 17/30 days High Efficiency Razors in June
  • 167/168 days of 365 days of shaving (99.4%)
I am kind of in between about this shave. I attribute it to not being present in the shave myself. I was thinking about all the things I need to do today, so less enjoyment from shaving. And a nick of course.

First time using TGS Inferno and despite what the name suggests not at all heavily smokey. There is something fresh about this scent. It appeared to have the same structure as Furiah, but behaved differently in my brush which is a good thing!

Weapons of choice have been consistent these past few days. Simply enjoying the combo.

Good results again after three passes! Subsequent touch up pass for me to BBS. Aftershave confirmed it was a really really close shave!

KCG Face Wash
Proraso Green preshave
Blade:KCG (9)
Brush:Omega Super Badger
Cream:TGS Inferno
Passes:
WXTG (2) / ATG (2)
Slanted on the neck
Rating:7/10 DFS to BBS

• 18/30 days in GRUME June (60% completed and still in!)
  • 18/30 days High Efficiency Razors in June
Took the KCG blade into the double digits today and still an enjoyable shave. A number of weepers this time. Not sure if it was the blade or not. We’ll see - for now the benefit of the doubt. Maybe ATG too soon or too harsh. I find in doing a reverse Gillette Slide (so NE-SW instead of NW-SE) it is harder to maintain the slide. I tend to go diagonal with the head also diagonal to the floor. But that is my WTG as far as beard mapping goes. So lately I find myself doing Gillette Slides on the second pass only.

Good results again after three passes! Subsequent touch up pass for me to BBS-. Aftershave confirmed it was the close shave!

I am getting the idea of rotation. I am shaving now with the Fatip all month and as much as I love it, it is also slightly boring actually. So maybe I need more razors 🤭.

Proraso Green is almost empty. About half a bottom portion left.

KCG Face Wash
Proraso Green preshave
Blade:KCG (10)
Passes:
WXTG (2) / ATG (2)
Slanted on the neck
Rating:9/10 BBS-

• 18/30 days in GRUME June (60% completed and still in!)
  • 18/30 days High Efficiency Razors in June
Took the KCG blade into the double digits today and still an enjoyable shave. A number of weepers this time. Not sure if it was the blade or not. We’ll see - for now the benefit of the doubt. Maybe ATG too soon or too harsh. I find in doing a reverse Gillette Slide (so NE-SW instead of NW-SE) it is harder to maintain the slide. I tend to go diagonal with the head also diagonal to the floor. But that is my WTG as far as beard mapping goes. So lately I find myself doing Gillette Slides on the second pass only.

Good results again after three passes! Subsequent touch up pass for me to BBS-. Aftershave confirmed it was the close shave!

I am getting the idea of rotation. I am shaving now with the Fatip all month and as much as I love it, it is also slightly boring actually. So maybe I need more razors 🤭.

Proraso Green is almost empty. About half a bottom portion left.

KCG Face Wash
Proraso Green preshave
Blade:KCG (10)
Passes:
WXTG (2) / ATG (2)
Slanted on the neck
Rating:9/10 BBS-

Wow!!! 10 shaves on blade.😊👍💈

Yes sir…Nice job indeed. I would however consider a change if you get multiple weepers again.
Check! My thoughts exactly just this morning. But I think I went in a bit too hard on the moustache area. But yeah, any weepers and it’s retirement.

Guido

19.06.22 Father’s Day (NL)​

• 19/30 days in GRUME June (63.33% completed and still in! Smooth sailing)
  • 19/30 days High Efficiency Razors in June
  • 169/170 days of 365 days of shaving (99.4%)
Took the Titan into the double digits today and that was not at all fun or enjoyable. A number of weepers this time. Not sure if it was the blade or not. Or the lather. Really no idea. Maybe the initial stroke (not slanted), but again variables were known so should result in no surprises. No need to find out more so I binned the blade. All in all the Titan is an amazing blade capable of going 10 shaves easily. Just not today and not this particular blade.

Aftershave made me jodel to the max. So in terms of rating: “must try harder”, but in terms of results: BBS. Go figure?!

Gave my old man a KCG razor and Proraso Red to get him started on DE shaving.

And I myself got two wooden (rosewood) razor/brush stands and Lavanda shave cream. How cool is that!

KCG Face Wash
Proraso Green preshave
Razor:Fatip Piccolo Open Comb
Blade:Dorco Titan (10)
Cream:The AlphaMen 2.0 (Creed Clone)
Passes:
WXTG (2) / ATG (2)
Slanted on the neck