What's new

A journal of a Cajun's life wet shaving

300+ Shaves in 2024 45 of 300+
February GRUME 17/29
Shave Date 2/18/2024 Straight Razor Shave #85
Razor:
Böker Unrivalled 11/16 120 laps leather strop.
Pre-Shave: PAA The Cube 2.0 Pre-shave soap
Soap: Martin de Candre Rose
Brush: Yaqi Caramal 26mm two band Badger
Post-Shave: Alum block, Thayers Witch Hazel, Nivea Cooling Balm, No A/S
Rating: 28/30 10 for Comfort, 10 for cuts and weepers(1?), 8 for smoothness, neck stubble, Face DFS++.

Notes:

Sunday morning shave before service at mass was a good one, I managed to shave the neck without drawing blood. I made sure to use an ultra-light touch on the area, I could have increased my pressure over the shaves so gradually that I didn't recognize that I did. Back to the basics and just enough pressure to shave off the lather. Speaking of lather, MdC is a great soap, 30 swirls on the puck with the brush yielded plenty of lather. The light scent was a great choice for church.

My last pen from Aliexpress arrived, an Asvine V126 Vacuum pen, a very good pen for the price. It was the most expensive one of them all, the same price as the LAMY Safari, and just about as smooth. That is it for lent, I'll journal and enjoy what I have now.

I wish all a blessed Sunday, and may all your shaves be the best.

IMG_2573.jpeg

Last edited:
300+ Shaves in 2024 45 of 300+
February GRUME 17/29
Shave Date 2/18/2024 Straight Razor Shave #85
Razor:
Böker Unrivalled 11/16 120 laps leather strop.
Soap: Martin de Candre Rose
Brush: Yaqi Caramal 26mm two band Badger
Rating: 28/30 10 for Comfort, 10 for cuts and weepers(1?), 8 for smoothness, neck stubble, Face DFS++.

Notes:

Sunday morning shave before service at mass was a good one, I managed to shave the neck without drawing blood. I made sure to use an ultra-light touch on the area, I could have increased my pressure over the shaves so gradually that I didn't recognize that I did. Back to the basics and just enough pressure to shave off the lather. Speaking of lather, MdC is a great soap, 30 swirls on the puck with the brush yielded plenty of lather. The light scent was a great choice for church.

My last pen from Aliexpress arrived, an Asvine V126 Vacuum pen, a very good pen for the price. It was the most expensive one of them all, the same price as the LAMY Safari, and just about as smooth. That is it for lent, I'll journal and enjoy what I have now.

I wish all a blessed Sunday, and may all your shaves be the best.

View attachment 1798367
Warning! Filling vacuum fillers are addictive because it is mesmerizing while filling. You would want to fill it over and over again.

300+ Shaves in 2024 46 of 300+
February GRUME 18/29
Shave Date 2/19/2024 Straight Razor Shave #86
Razor:
Unknown "Best" Solingen 7/5 120 laps leather strop.
Soap: RazoRock Mudder Focker
Brush: Ds Cosmetic 24mm Two Band Badger Mardi Gras swirl.
Rating: 28/30 10 for Comfort, 10 for cuts and weepers(0), 8 for smoothness, neck stubble, Face DFS++.

Notes:

No, cuts, no weeps, no errors, it is spring training time. All previous cuts and problem areas were taken care of today with nary a drop of blood, yielding a very acceptable shave. I removed one S-N pass on the neck and went with a Gillette slide'ish N-S pass for the last clean-up pass, It is acceptable fur reduction, the Sea Lions are happy they are still allowed on the dock, and I am happy with the level of removal of the fur, and it is a more comfortable pass vs the S-N pass. All in all, it is a great tradeoff. The Mudder Focker is a soap more resistant to incorporating into the brush, a longer soak time in the warm water is on tap for the next shave with this soap. The scent is a good one as well.

Nothing new on the pen front today, although I did check out the site in India that Aaron mentioned. Busy at work with transitioning to new ownership and figuring out payroll so I'm going to cut it short today. I wish all a blessed Monday and work week, and may all your shaves be the best.

IMG_2576.jpeg

300+ Shaves in 2024 47 of 300+
February GRUME 19/29
Shave Date 2/20/2024 Straight Razor Shave #87
Razor:
Paul Drees "Sistrum" 6/8 120 laps leather strop.
Soap: Saponifico Varesino Opuntia
Brush: Zenith 507-IF Italian Flag Boar.
Post-Shave: Alum block, Thayers Witch Hazel, Nivea Cooling Balm, S/V Opuntia A/S

Notes:

Another fantastic shave, with a speck of blood on the last touch-up pass. I could not find where it came from, so no deduction. I had been neglecting this soap for months, meaning to use it for quite some time, but choosing another instead. I rectified that this morning. It is a fine soap, providing plenty of lather for the shave, I did need to add a bit of water to my bowl and give it a few swirls for the last two passes to reactivate the soap. Being a tripled milled soap, I loaded from the puck with 30 swirls. I initially was going to forgo the final S-N pass on the neck as I did yesterday, but decided to just knock off the fur as best I could, the result is a closer shave than yesterday. As has been the case for my shaves lately, a durn fine shave was achieved. Once again an all Italian shave. Soap and brush made in Italy. The razor is made for the Italian market in Germany.

Nothing on the pen front, but I am filling up one of my journals that I started in 2022, the last few weeks have been the most productive time. A short one today gotta get to slinging pills. I wish all a blessed Tuesday, and may those shaves be the best.

IMG_2583.jpeg

300+ Shaves in 2024 48 of 300+
February GRUME 20/29
Shave Date 2/21/2024 Straight Razor Shave #88
Razor:
Dovo Bismarck 6/8 120 laps leather strop.
Soap: Southern Witchcraft Autumn Ash
Brush: Yaqi Caramel 26mm Two Band Badger.
Post-Shave: Alum block, Thayers Witch Hazel, Nivea Cooling Balm, Southern Witchcraft A/S
Rating: 28/30 10 for Comfort, 10 for cuts and weepers(0), 8 for smoothness, neck stubble, Face DFS++.

Notes:

Witchcraft Wednesday today, Southern Witchcraft Autumn Ash is on the agenda. A great soap and scent, although I did not receive a thumbs up or down from my fully awake bride today. She was intently watching one of her binge dramas she's picked up as of late. The Chief of Security was recharging her barking batteries beside my wife and did not even lift her head when I left. I guess she thinks the sector was secured and there was no need to extend any additional energy this morning. The shave itself was great, timing fine with the dolphins and sea lions in their customary positions. All is good in the land. And no blood or red specks on the lather to boot. A DFS+++ shave was the result, very acceptable.

My journaling has increased tremendously over the last few weeks, I sit down after work and just start to brain dump thoughts and ideas from the day. Sometimes it is random things, sometimes it is much deeper. I find myself writing pages in the evening now, whereas before I was satisfied with one sentence before this latest development. Sorta like Atomic Habits, but this arrived spontaneously, without much effort. I had the kinetic energy there, I just needed to give it a little shove. The Fountain pens helped with that shove and now the momentum is building. I am filling up a journal I started in 2022, after that I'll consolidate journals into the Bullet Journal. I need to overcome my tendency to not write things in my Bullet Journal, I have this thought in the back of my mind I need to save pages for the year to fit all the year in one journal. I need to get over the cheapskate tendency I have a times and just journal away and when I'm done with this journal, start another one. I have plenty of options at the house for a second journal and I have identified many less costly alternatives to the official Bullet Journal should I choose to continue my cheapskate tendencies. It is funny how I am cheap on certain things and will spend money like it is water on other things. It's like you don't blink an eye to spend $1000 on the latest iPhone, but spend $1.99 on an app, Heck to the naugh.

Tis all for today, work is calling. I wish all a blessed Wednesday and may all your shaves be fantastic.

The head of security in her resting state.
IMG_2287.jpeg

IMG_2585.jpeg

300+ Shaves in 2024 49 of 300+
February GRUME 21/29
Shave Date 2/22/2024 Straight Razor Shave #89
Razor:
Friedrich Schlemper "Focus" 13/16 120 laps leather strop.
Soap: ARKO!!!
Brush: Semogue 2000 Boar.
Post-Shave: Alum block, Thayers Witch Hazel, Nivea Cooling Balm, Bootleggers El Dorado A/S

Notes

Fruity February was going on and I failed to join in on the fun, therefore today I rectified that situation. ARKO!!! on deck for today's shave. The result was a lemony fresh(ish) aroma in the air this morning, with more than enough lather. I cut off too much of the stick for one shave, what was sliced off would likely last till the end of the month, if I choose to use ARKO!! till the end of the month. I did identify a suitable container to move the rest of the stick to as the stick has sat on the counter uncovered since I first used it months ago, the container is red to boot so it will look legit. Sitting out in the open did not harm the lathering abilities of ARKO!! in the least. I had plenty of lather for the shave. If forced to only use ARKO!!, I think I could make do. Bootleggers El Dorado finished out the day with a very fine scent.

Journaling is going and fountain pens are being used. All is grand in the land. A short one today, paperwork and slinging pills. I wish all a blessed Thursday, and may all your shaves be the best.

IMG_2592.jpeg

I watched the last Jones movie "The Dial of Destiny" and was underwhelmed to say the least. Time for the fedora to be hung up.
My favourite was the third film with Connery, great plot and fun.
As a shaver I really liked the first film because it had the "ARK O' THE COVENANT". BADABOOM! Still got it.

reface_1603146795502_548.GIF

Last edited:

Jay21

Collecting wife bonus parts
I watched the last Jones movie "The Dial of Destiny" and was underwhelmed to say the least. Time for the fedora to be hung up.
My favourite was the third film with Connery, great plot and fun.
As a shaver I really liked the first film because it had the "ARK O' THE COVENANT". BADABOOM! Still got it.

View attachment 1800481
I agree. While it was much better than the Crystal Numbskull nonsense, it wasn't very good. Holy Grail was the best one, as you say.

300+ Shaves in 2024 50 of 300+
February GRUME 22/29
Shave Date 2/23/2024 Straight Razor Shave #90
Razor:
Boker Unrivalled 11/16 120 laps leather strop.
Pre-Shave: Razor Emporium Pre-shave soap
Soap: Barrister and Mann Nordost.
Brush: Zenith Unbleached Boar.
Post-Shave: Alum block, Thayers Witch Hazel, Nivea Cooling Balm, Barrister and Mann Nordst A/S
Rating: 28/30 10 for Comfort, 10 for cuts and weepers(0), 7 for smoothness, neck stubble, Face DFS.

Notes

90th straight razor shave, a tad disappointing shave at that. Disappointing in that I had more stubble than I'd like after my cleanup passes. The timing was longer than usual for some reason as well. I decided to load from the puck today with the Barrister and Man soap, this didn't go as well as I would have liked. Barrister and Mann soaps are thirsty soaps, this required much more face lathering to hydrate the soap to an acceptable level. My first pass was a tad thick, or tic as the Cajuns say. I incorporated more water in the subsequent passes and was rewarded with a slick lather. I'll put a few laps on the Chrome Ox strop for the next shaves with my straights and see what that does to the edges. The shave is still a DFS shave, but the sea lions are out on the docks, laughing today, soaking up the sun. A second day in a row with Fruity February eligible shave.

Work has been interesting lately, on top of the transition to new owners and all of that headache, we get to deal with our claims processor being down, since Wednesday and it will likely not to be up till sometime this weekend. This is a nationwide issue, our claim processor is the largest one in the nation, and Walgreens and HEB, a local grocery chain, are down as well. Makes life interesting, yeah, that's what I'm going with.

I wish all a blessed Friday and weekend, and may all your shaves be the best.

IMG_2609.jpeg

300+ Shaves in 2024 51 of 300+
February GRUME 23/29
Shave Date 2/23/2024
DE
1948 Super Speed TTO
Blade: Lords Super Stainless (2)
Soap: ARKO!!
Brush: Zenith 502 Blue Wave Boar.
Post-Shave: Alum block, Thayers Witch Hazel, Bootleggers El Dorado A/S
Rating: 29/30 10 for Comfort, 10 for cuts and weepers(0), 9 for smoothness, neck stubble, Face BBS

Notes:

A very early departure from the house this morning necessitated a fast shave. The Super Speed and the Lords delivered a fast, comfortable close shave. ARKO!! did an outstanding job of lathering this morning with the Zenith Boar. I smashed the ARKO!! stick into an empty Old Spice hair paste jar I had laying around. It almost looks like I bought it that way. El Dorado was a great scent as well. A great shave today when time was of the essence. Everything was great today and I achieved BBS on my cheeks, and just shy of that on the neck.

I wish all a great weekend and fantastic shaves.

IMG_2617.jpeg

300+ Shaves in 2024 52 of 300+
February GRUME 24/29
Shave Date 2/24/2024
Straight:
Unknown “Best” Solingen 10 laps ChOx 120 Laps Strop.
Soap: RazoRock The Dead Sea
Brush: Yaqi Cavern Lake 24 mm Two Band Badger.
Post-Shave: Alum block, Thayers Witch Hazel, RR The Dead Sea A/S
Rating: 29/30 10 for Comfort, 10 for cuts and weepers(0), 8for smoothness, neck stubble, DFS++

Notes:

Back to the straight this morning. Although not as close as the DE gives, which is a given, a durn fine shave was the result. Very acceptable for service at mass or any occasions. Yesterday’s shave with the Super Speed was a very good one. So good it begs the question of why not just use the DE? So far in my journey I’m still enjoying the straights more than the advantage the DE’s have over them in terms of speed and closeness. I’m past 90 shaves with the straight and going forward I’ll use my DE razors more often, as before this point, I was trying to reach a level of proficiency with the straight and I felt using the DE too much would delay that progress. What I need to learn now is honing these razors, to achieve a more keen edge than what the Chrome Ox is giving me. The Chrome Ox has preformed for me very admirably. But I feel there’s a better edge out there for me with these razors. I’ll get my stones out and try to hone one of my other razors, become proficient at honing is the next step, which may take a while. In the interim, I’ll have my DE Razors to sprinkle in here and there when needed.

That’s all for today. I wish all a blessed Sunday, and may all your shaves be truly satisfying.

IMG_2618.jpeg

300+ Shaves in 2024 53 of 300+
February GRUME 25/29
Shave Date 2/26/2024
Straight:
UPaul Drees "Sisturm" 6/8 10 laps ChOx 120 Laps Strop.
Pre-Shave: PAA The Cube 2.0
Soap: RazoRock Mudder Focker
Brush: Zenith-507-BC Blue Cobalt Boar.
Post-Shave: Alum block, Thayers Witch Hazel, RR Mudder Focker A/S
Rating: 29/30 10 for Comfort, 10 for cuts and weepers(0), 8 for smoothness, neck stubble, DFS++

Notes:

Monday, the claims switch is still down, so it's a Mudder Focker Monday for me. The blade whacked down the stubble just as good as ever, but the soap is a difficult one for me to master. It is more suited, at least for me at this point in my journey, to bowl lathering vs straight face lathering. I scraped some out with my bass pic and let it hydrate some in the shave bowl filled with warm water, I drained the water into my water mug, smashed the soap into the bottom of the bowl, and scrubbed away with my brush. I ended up just about bowl lathering this morning, no big deal as I use my bowl to set my brush down during my shaves and I have to clean out the bowl anyway. A durn fine shave to start the week.

Gotta get after it this Monday morning, I wish all a blessed Monday and work week, and may all your shaves be the best.

IMG_2620.jpeg

300+ Shaves in 2024 54 of 300+
February GRUME 26/29
Shave Date 2/27/2024
DE:
Yates 'Merica Blade: Lords Super Stainless (3)
Soap: ARKO!!!!!
Brush: Ds Cosmetics 24mm two-band badger.
Post-Shave: Alum block, Thayers Witch Hazel, Pseudo Perfecto Virginia A/S
Rating: 29/30 10 for Comfort, 10 for cuts and weepers(0), 9 for smoothness, neck stubble, DFS++

Notes:

Running behind this morning and I decided to use the DE today. I could have kicked it into high gear and used a straight, but the straight due up next is more difficult to strop due to the scales being looser than the others and it throws off my rhythm. Running late I didn't feel like contending with that particular straight. Anywho, the Yates got the call. A great shave but an interesting one. Not as great as the previous one with the DE, it is just about BBS on the face and there is still neck stubble, although the Sea Lions did take notice when I pulled out the Yates, after a bit they returned to their previously scheduled slumbering on the edge of the dock, content they would hang around for the day, although with less hair than on a straight day, just a tad less. Being used to the edge of a straight on my face, feeling the edge of the DE blade is much more difficult to detect now. I hardly felt it today at all. The shave is closer, but not BBS as I previously stated, and the ever-present neck stubble is there. What the DE did better than I can do with the straight is get to the jaw joint area better. It is much smoother today than on days with the straight. That is an area I still need to figure out with the straight. The timing of today's shave was excellent, as is to be expected.

ARKO!! got the call for Fruity February, when that monthly theme was announced I didn't think I had any soaps that could be called fruity, but the subsequent revelation of the liberal interpretation of the scent of ARKO, and the realization that Nordost's Orange scent is a fruit, led me to realize I could participate in the festivities, even if I am late to the party. Pseudo Perfecto Virginia is an attempt to replicate the Bootleggers Perfecto Virginia blend with ingredients that are currently available. It is a nice, green tobacco/Bay Rum scent that received the fully awake lovely bride's approval this morning.

We are still dealing with the link being down which is keeping us dead in the water, fun times in the pharmacy now. With that being said, back to work for me. I want to wish all a blessed Tuesday, and may all your shaves be truly satisfying.

IMG_2628.jpeg

300+ Shaves in 2024 54 of 300+
February GRUME 26/29
Shave Date 2/27/2024
DE:
Yates 'Merica Blade: Lords Super Stainless (3)
Soap: ARKO!!!!!
Brush: Ds Cosmetics 24mm two-band badger.
Post-Shave: Alum block, Thayers Witch Hazel, Pseudo Perfecto Virginia A/S
Rating: 29/30 10 for Comfort, 10 for cuts and weepers(0), 9 for smoothness, neck stubble, DFS++

Notes:

Running behind this morning and I decided to use the DE today. I could have kicked it into high gear and used a straight, but the straight due up next is more difficult to strop due to the scales being looser than the others and it throws off my rhythm. Running late I didn't feel like contending with that particular straight. Anywho, the Yates got the call. A great shave but an interesting one. Not as great as the previous one with the DE, it is just about BBS on the face and there is still neck stubble, although the Sea Lions did take notice when I pulled out the Yates, after a bit they returned to their previously scheduled slumbering on the edge of the dock, content they would hang around for the day, although with less hair than on a straight day, just a tad less. Being used to the edge of a straight on my face, feeling the edge of the DE blade is much more difficult to detect now. I hardly felt it today at all. The shave is closer, but not BBS as I previously stated, and the ever-present neck stubble is there. What the DE did better than I can do with the straight is get to the jaw joint area better. It is much smoother today than on days with the straight. That is an area I still need to figure out with the straight. The timing of today's shave was excellent, as is to be expected.

ARKO!! got the call for Fruity February, when that monthly theme was announced I didn't think I had any soaps that could be called fruity, but the subsequent revelation of the liberal interpretation of the scent of ARKO, and the realization that Nordost's Orange scent is a fruit, led me to realize I could participate in the festivities, even if I am late to the party. Pseudo Perfecto Virginia is an attempt to replicate the Bootleggers Perfecto Virginia blend with ingredients that are currently available. It is a nice, green tobacco/Bay Rum scent that received the fully awake lovely bride's approval this morning.

We are still dealing with the link being down which is keeping us dead in the water, fun times in the pharmacy now. With that being said, back to work for me. I want to wish all a blessed Tuesday, and may all your shaves be truly satisfying.

View attachment 1803152
I could have kicked it into high gear and used a straight, but the straight due up next is more difficult to strop due to the scales being looser than the others and it throws off my rhythm.
John it is not difficult to snug up loose scales. An accurate tap with a ball hammer or a punch on the rivet will snug up the scales. Loose scales are very irritating and can lead to mishaps.

John it is not difficult to snug up loose scales. An accurate tap with a ball hammer or a punch on the rivet will snug up the scales. Loose scales are very irritating and can lead to mishaps.
Post in thread 'Loose scales'
Loose scales - https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/threads/loose-scales.587268/post-10683317

This is what I did to tighten up a few of the loose scales I had.

Thanks, I was brainstorming how to fix them. I never got around to searching for a thread, thanks for the link. I think of you most mornings as I oil my straights during the clean-up phase, I remember your post point me to that direction. Thanks for the guidance you have given me in this journey.

Thanks, I was brainstorming how to fix them. I never got around to searching for a thread, thanks for the link. I think of you most mornings as I oil my straights during the clean-up phase, I remember your post point me to that direction. Thanks for the guidance you have given me in this journey.
I enjoy following your shaves John. Your life routines especially the BMW posts allow me to reminisce. I regret not having one or a Harley. I had two Yamaha’s. Both 750’s. Your pen enthusiasm is also very contagious. It’s got me considering a journal. Thank you for sharing.

300+ Shaves in 2024 55 of 300+
February GRUME 27/29
Shave Date 2/28/2024
Straight:
Dovo Bismarck 6/8 10 laps on CrOx 120 laps on Strop
Soap: Barrister and Mann Nordost
Brush: Yaqi Caramel 26mm two-band badger.
Post-Shave: Alum block, Thayers Witch Hazel, B/M Nordost A/S
Rating: 28/30 10 for Comfort, 10 for cuts and weepers(0), 8 for smoothness, neck stubble, DFS++

Notes:

We are back and running so this will be a quick one. Long and short of it, great shave, and even the problem jaw joint area on the left side was just about as good as yesterday. The sea lions took notice today as I mowed down the problem jawline area. They were wondering what the heck was up, the DE was sitting idle. I started earlier than usual and had a nice leisurely stress-free shave. A Durn fine shave for a Wednesday.

We are back to processing claims, a week's worth of work in one day, it is days like this that whiskey was invented. Have a blessed humpday, and may all your shaves be the best.

IMG_2632.jpeg

Top Bottom