What's new

A Day At The Range/Gun of the day

nikonNUT

The "Peter Hathaway Capstick" of small game
6.5CM, sir. Shoots way better than that but that is with my good glass on as in .3MOA. If it will hold .7MOA at 100 in the dark I think the hogs will hate it! I honestly think it was trigger control TBH. I was fiddling with the TT a lot trying to find my fingers sweet spot... 🤷‍♂️

nikonNUT

Not the range but playing with the wraith in the dark... Looks better in person but I'm IMPRESSED!!! Especially at the $500.00 price point! Illuminator was on its lowest setting and focused tight...

Should have gotten video of the possum munching on peanuts up on the hill. Next time!

Last edited:
I made it to the range around noon yesterday, a lot later than I wanted. The temperature was already in the 90s with the heat index above 100. It really wasn't that bad in the shade with just a little breeze. There was only one other guy there and he was on the pistol range. He left about half an hour later and I was alone the rest of the day. I ended up staying about 4 hours, it was a good day.

I took 4 rifles to sight in including the new Viper Pst gen 2 1-6. The other 3 was because I can't leave anything alone. I think I have everything the way I want it now, at least these 4 ....... i think 🤔.

All shots were at 100 yards with 62gr steel case Wolf that I bought 25 years ago for $0.08. So don't make fun of my shooting, it's not my fault. I've been working on getting rid of them prettyhard lately, I think I'm down to 2000 - 3000 now. Next time I'll take the match stuff and see what I can do.

First up is the new Viper on the FN Tactical ll. The 16" CHF 1:7 barrel with mid length gas port is soft shooting and pretty accurate for being chrome lined.
2021-08-25 15.19.15.jpg

The first couple of shots were to the right of the target but once I figured it out and brought it over it was pretty tight.
2021-08-25 15.09.59.jpg

I'm very happy with the Viper. The clarity and the daylight bright elimination are excellent. It also also makes a very fast red dot scope. I think it would be hard to find a better scope for the price.

Here's a picture at 300 yards at 6x with the brightness at 6 of 10.
2021-08-26 00.27.30.jpg

Next is the Colt 6940 with a Bushnell RT-6. I think this is a great combination, even with the chrome lined M4 barrel, the monolithic upper makes this a very accurate rifle. Like the PST, the RT-6 is also a scope that comes in way under it's price point. For me, the glass rivals the Viper PST, if the illumination was brighter, it would be a no brainer at $350 including the mount.

2021-08-25 15.15.35.jpg

2021-08-25 15.11.23.jpg

I'll try to post the other 2 later this evening.

nikonNUT

Went out this morning to zero the new Athlon and decided to play. Full size IDPA silhouette at 200 yards. No wind holds or waiting on conditions. Just eyeball center of mass and let ‘em fly. 30 round group and not horrible. Only missed twice 🤣 I think I could keep ‘em all on a 33% reduced version. Gonna find out soon! 😊
93830B13-EE76-40C0-9994-7C4B7FCE9889.jpeg

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Went out this morning to zero the new Athlon and decided to play. Full size IDPA silhouette at 200 yards. No wind holds or waiting on conditions. Just eyeball center of mass and let ‘em fly. 30 round group and not horrible. Only missed twice 🤣 I think I could keep ‘em all on a 33% reduced version. Gonna find out soon! 😊
View attachment 1318753
Brother, I'm not sure I'd see that at 200 yards, seriously. Good shooting!

nikonNUT

Well I went back this morning to see if I could improve any at 200. Cheated a little by adding a .5" dot for aiming puroposes and let them fly. @FarmerTan Yes I could see it and the perforations in the cardboard as well so kudos Athlon! :lol: Anyways... On to the results!
50 to center of mass. The three with green dots were the first three fired and I could see my windage was off. Not making excuses but longer distance will definitely show issues that seem fine at 50 yards!
50 at 200 and I think the dispersion looks pretty good but I really need to test some other brands... Oh, and extreme spread is 3.5MOA and mean radius is .929MOA.
200COM.jpg

And for giggles 20 at 200 in the head zone. Scalped him on one shot :lol:
200Head.jpg

Attachments

• 200COM.jpg
    200COM.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 3
Last edited:

FarmerTan

Lol'd at the scalp comment! If you hadn't pointed it out I doubt I would have seen it. Good shooting again friend!

My last day out at my hillbilly gun range was fun, but I had trouble with the broadside of the barn....but yet, even a bad day of shooting beats working!

nikonNUT

Lol'd at the scalp comment! If you hadn't pointed it out I doubt I would have seen it. Good shooting again friend!

My last day out at my hillbilly gun range was fun, but I had trouble with the broadside of the barn....but yet, even a bad day of shooting beats working!
I appreciate that, Dave. I have to say the Bergara is a persnickety little cuss as it likes to be held just so that makes groups at 50 challenging. Get it right and the results are stellar. Flub it a bit and they are still good but drift into the MOA range. The 200 yard stuff is a blast! Press the trigger, hear the pop, see the impact, and the hear the impact of the bullet. Reminds me of shooting 1K center fire when you see the steel shudder violently and then hear the clang. Bit of a rush honestly!

nikonNUT

Went back to get some data to true my hold a bit better... Had the Mask AND a MagnetoSpeed bayo hanging off the barrel so I figured results would be less than awesome. Wind was a little wonky but I got some good data from a 47 shot string...
200yardround2.jpg

And (what I think) is a solid ES/SD for .22LR ammo...
200yarddata.jpg

ES of 36 and an SD of 9.3 works for me! The high point of the day was a bit surreal. Been working on breaking the shot and holding dead still to watch the target. Today I saw something odd. Broke a shot and saw something flash at the 11 o'clock in scope. Reflection in the glass? Nope. Gunk on the objective lens? Nada! Broke another shot and the same, repeated several times and it hit me. I was seeing the bullet headed down range! Don't know if it was the weather letting me see the trace or what but it was really cool! Wild to see the bullet leave high and left and arc in to connect with the target! And bad for accuracy! :lol: Gotta watch the target NOT the trace thought it is useful for getting a read on the wind!

Last edited:

FarmerTan

@FarmerTan, thank you for that! If you had my eyes you would be thinking about Lasix! :lol1:
You know I'm getting old and I'm also cheap because I'm hoping I live long enough to get cataracts so Medicare will pay for me get new lenses!

If I have to pay for 'em I want one for reading and one for shootin'.... I guess I'd need another for Winter Sports, like...... watching TV!

Hello from sunny England! I have been shooting for a couple of years, I have a Weatherby Vanguard MK1 in 223 and a CZ 452 and Remington 597 semi auto in .22lr, I never shoot less than 100 yards with the 22's and the 223 usually around 300 yards. Thinking of changing the vanguard for something with a different twist rate, like the look of the Mauser, will get a suppressor for it.

nikonNUT

Went out early this morning to run another 50@200 and a 5X6 @ 50 for some stuff over on the Hide. Had a great time doing and a fluff rat hopped out at the 200 yard line. I had him dead to rights (Yeah, that's my story and I'm sticking to it! :lol: ) but I let him walk as the owners are NOT ok with shooting the wildlife at the range. There are sooooo many dear! Anyways!

Meh...
5X6.jpg

Better but not great...
50@200-7.jpg

50@200-3.jpg

50@200-6.jpg

All center of mass but I know there is a 3" group just waiting for me to find it!

Last edited:
Went out early this morning to run another 50@200 and a 5X6 @ 50 for some stuff over on the Hide. Had a great time doing and a fluff rat hopped out at the 200 yard line. I had him dead to rights (Yeah, that's my story and I'm sticking to it! :lol: ) but I let him walk as the owners are NOT ok with shooting the wildlife at the range. There are sooooo many dear! Anyways!

Meh...
View attachment 1322693
Better but not great...
View attachment 1322697
View attachment 1322699
View attachment 1322701

All center of mass but I know there is a 3" group just waiting for me to find it!

DAMN!!!!
I would love to spend some time at the range with you.

Top Bottom