What's new

A Day At The Range/Gun of the day

nikonNUT

The "Peter Hathaway Capstick" of small game
Tried again this morning... 5x6 sans suppressor at 50 yards. Seems to offer some decent increases in accuracy so naked might be the way to go in a match but as mentioned the gains are small so for hunting it goes on for sure!
No suppressor
5x6 no supressor.jpg

With suppressor...
5X6.jpg

So suppressed aggregate is .565" and unsuppressed aggregate is .478" for about a 15% (or .087") reduction in overall group size. Is that within the standard deviation of the idiot behind the trigger? 🤷‍♂️ :lol:

Last edited:

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
I don’t do a lot of shooting any more but my younger son is a gun enthusiast. There is a very good indoor range in Clemson about 12 miles from here and an unsupervised 100 yd range about 15 miles up the mountain. A few weeks ago Chris drove down from Rock Hill, SC and we went shooting for a couple of days. The first day was pistols indoors and the second outdoors. Pistols were fine and I got to use my new Ruger .38 LCR (definitely not a range gun). and various pistols he brought - the 1911 being my favorite. The second day is the point of this story. He brought his M-1 Garand - my favorite rifle ever and a scoped Marlin 45-70. I managed to hit a bowling pin at 100 yards four times - two hits with each. Now to the punch line. I was firing the Marlin which packs quite a whallop using a black powder cartridges
he had loaded. That powder burns very fast amplifying the recoil by the way. I, like an idiot, got a bit too close to the scope which knocked my glasses of and bloodied my nose in front of half a dozen people. Embarrassing - quite so. I hope his next visit involves trout fishing, a quieter more gentle sport.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
I don’t do a lot of shooting any more but my younger son is a gun enthusiast. There is a very good indoor range in Clemson about 12 miles from here and an unsupervised 100 yd range about 15 miles up the mountain. A few weeks ago Chris drove down from Rock Hill, SC and we went shooting for a couple of days. The first day was pistols indoors and the second outdoors. Pistols were fine and I got to use my new Ruger .38 LCR (definitely not a range gun). and various pistols he brought - the 1911 being my favorite. The second day is the point of this story. He brought his M-1 Garand - my favorite rifle ever and a scoped Marlin 45-70. I managed to hit a bowling pin at 100 yards four times - two hits with each. Now to the punch line. I was firing the Marlin which packs quite a whallop using a black powder cartridges
he had loaded. That powder burns very fast amplifying the recoil by the way. I, like an idiot, got a bit too close to the scope which knocked my glasses of and bloodied my nose in front of half a dozen people. Embarrassing - quite so. I hope his next visit involves trout fishing, a quieter more gentle sport.

"Cookie-cutter Eyebrow," it used to be called. Sympathies!

Recoil wimp here. I not only use a slip-on pad, but sometimes fold and stick the rifle case under the steel buttplate of milsurps, too.

AA

Ad Astra

The Instigator
I shot eight en clips with the M-1 (64 rounds) and didn’t even get bruised this time out. I was shocked that I could even move my arm the following morning.

Garand recoils a bit softer than '03 Springfield, IMO.

I used to shoot a lot of 8mm Mauser, corrosive Yugo surplus I got for a nickel a round. :lol: Between the sore shoulder and the frenetic cleaning, I got what I paid for ... :a39: In fact, I still have ... quite a bit.

AA

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
Garand recoils a bit softer than '03 Springfield, IMO.

I used to shoot a lot of 8mm Mauser, corrosive Yugo surplus I got for a nickel a round. :lol: Between the sore shoulder and the frenetic cleaning, I got what I paid for ... :a39: In fact, I still have ... quite a bit.

AA
I’ve always assumed that but have never shot the 03. That is one rifle that I would love to own. Ive heard that the Mauser is a bit of a mule as well.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
I’ve always assumed that but have never shot the 03. That is one rifle that I would love to own. Ive heard that the Mauser is a bit of a mule as well.

😉 Yes, Mauser K98 kicks really hard, and the P-38 I shot used to eject its brass straight back and up - usually hitting the shooter in the forehead.

🤔 I have made the determination the Germans were bad-tempered because of this.

AA

nikonNUT

😉 Yes, Mauser K98 kicks really hard, and the P-38 I shot used to eject its brass straight back and up - usually hitting the shooter in the forehead.

🤔 I have made the determination the Germans were bad-tempered because of this.

AA
I can see that. My .338, when equipped with cheap scope caps, would kick hard enough to flip the cap back and bop me in the forehead. Aggravated me to no end! Oh, and I have LOTS of German in me. Grandfather was a Eubank (OY-bonk) and Grandmother was a Koch (as in H&K).

Last edited:

nikonNUT

Finally got the Bergara ejecting correctly (staking is not the answer!) by adjusting the weak tension on the ejector side extractor. Took it to the range this morning and ran 140 rounds thru it without issue. I did have to take the scope off to make a tweak or two. I spend most of the day plinking at 50 yards but sent the last 34 shots to the 200 yard berm and discovered that taking off the can improves vertical dispersion immensely!
200NoSuppressor.PNG

Pretty pleased and I think it will improve with better ammo (I was running SK Standard+).

nikonNUT

Went out this morning to try my luck with another 5X6 at 50 using CCI Standard Velocity and I couldn't hit the broad side of a barn. Decided to burn the remainder at 200. About 130 rounds in a I had a round that felt "grindy". That encouraged me to to a deep cleaning as I usually just run a dry patch after a range day to get the swampiness out. Applied some BoreTech C4 to a chamber mop, popped it in the chamber, and let it sit for an hour and a half. What came out was horrifying! :lol: I can't believe I overlooked all the mung in the chamber (especially running a can). Followed up by C4ing the barrel (which doesn't touch the lead or lube so the "good" fouling stays put). Went back to the range this evening and things improved greatly! The rifle can shoot! I can not...My trigger pull sucks and I am shooting too fast. Anyways, on to the results.
Rangeday091221-3.jpg

This one had promise. What did @HARMON say? "Three to know, five to show"? Well after the first three shots I know what the rifle can do.
Rangeday091221-2.jpg

And after the 5X6 I just picked a spot on the corrugated and let 5 fly. Getting better.
Rangeday091221-1.jpg

nikonNUT

Oh, they'll find out soon enough ... Halloween is coming!

:devil: In their treetop councils they speak of "the maker of empty nests ..." :a41:

a silent sliver of wood and steel with one glass eye ... a THWACK, and a dropped acorn ... nevermore to chew the human's tasty vinyl siding ...

AA
Pure poetry my friend! I actually saw one today! The whispered legends of old (in squirrel years) have lost their gravitas. The younglings are fearless and sure of purpose. They will learn a hard lesson… I will have a full belly.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Pure poetry my friend! I actually saw one today! The whispered legends of old (in squirrel years) have lost their gravitas. The younglings are fearless and sure of purpose. They will learn a hard lesson… I will have a full belly.

🤔 What a day it was, the day the hawk grabbed one and with a few powerful flaps of its wings, gained altitude... As it headed right for me, the bird readjusted its passenger 90 degrees to face forward, streamlined into the wind - not unlike a Japanese torpedo plane at Pearl Harbor. As they passed overhead, the squirrel seemed to be enjoying the flight; his tail streaming straight out behind them. Perhaps he was expecting to be served nuts. They headed out together, these two, for a scenic treetop luncheon date.

🤔 As they say, enjoy the journey.

AA

Last edited:

BigFoot

I wanna be sedated!
Staff member
I finally got out and did a bit of shooting. Found a new range I am very impressed with it.
358B777A-FFEA-4ED8-95A9-F960B5E468AD.jpeg

5AEAE646-CEC7-4E5D-AE9B-EAB2804ACBBB.jpeg
2E5952A0-491D-4276-96BB-20694B5BE8F0.jpeg
6643C48A-4712-4176-A48C-65B3A91F9C50.jpeg
8F446252-DA15-4A0D-981A-163D3A18996A.jpeg

Top photo 1st shots from 39A 15 yards. 2nd photo red was kneeling at bench 20 yards. Head off hand 20 yards. 3rd photo kneeling 25 yards on left, off hand on right. 4th photo SP 101 8 yards drawing from holster double action. Last phot red 25 yards bench, head 25 yards off hand.

Last edited:
Top Bottom