What's new

A Day At The Range/Gun of the day

nikonNUT

The "Peter Hathaway Capstick" of small game
Got out the door early this morning to do some plinking (and keep pushing the extractor mod. At 385 rounds with no FTEs!). Started with a 50 at 200 run and got ok results. The wind continues to confound me but maaaayyybeee I'm getting a slight handle on it?
50@200091821.jpg

And then a little playing at 50 yards. This would have been a great group if not for the idiot running the trigger. :lol: I am starting to learn that the smallest change will upset the rifle aka breaking my cheek weld. A good lesson to be sure...
Best@50091821.jpg

Now I'm outta targets... I need to hang some steel!

nikonNUT

Went and ran a 5x6 at 200 yards this morning. Mostly a train wreck but I saw two groups go sub-MOA. Pro tip: If you are running a 1 pound trigger and the guy next to you is rocking a .30-06 (sans can) leave! It will mess your trigger press! :lol:

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Well. 🤔 After getting a Berry's plated projo stuck in a Colt PPS a couple of weeks ago, learned my Colts have about a thou tighter cylinder necks. The rest fired just fine in a Ruger SP-101 today, and they've been shooting fine in S&W Mod10. Anyways.

IMG_20211001_093719116.jpg

Some confidence building with High Standard Derringer also.

One is literally shaking hands with a fireball 🔥 when shooting 22 magnum out of a short straw.

AA

nikonNUT

Made a screaming trip to the range today to re-zero the CZ. Pro tip... IF ya have a zero stop set it! Keep you from doing something dumb like I did. :facep: All is well and I am ready to show the Texas grays a good time! Well, good for me. CZ is still holding 1 MOA or better at 50 yards. Time to shoot some critters!!!

BTW... If this isn't a good reason to perforate a tree rat I don't know what is!

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
Hello from sunny England! I have been shooting for a couple of years, I have a Weatherby Vanguard MK1 in 223 and a CZ 452 and Remington 597 semi auto in .22lr, I never shoot less than 100 yards with the 22's and the 223 usually around 300 yards. Thinking of changing the vanguard for something with a different twist rate, like the look of the Mauser, will get a suppressor for it.
Welcome back zeeco, it's been a very long time!

Kilroy6644

Smoking a corn dog in aviators and a top hat
Finally got to take these two out. Shot some holes in a garbage can to make a burn barrel. I've had the FEG for almost ten years and never shot it, because I had no ammo, and .380 wasn't a priority. But then I got the Beretta, and a box of ammo. They both shot really nice. The FEG jammed a couple of times, but cleared easily. The slide never locked back after the last round. The Beretta was flawless.

IMG_20211013_141157759.jpg

nikonNUT

Gettin' better! Ran out this evening to run a 5x6 and the trigger adjustment and action torque seems to have helped (Flyers seem to have calmed down a bit). Pretty pleased with the Bergara and now it's all on me!
5x6 101621.jpg

And best of the evening...
Ballistic-X-Export-2021-10-16 18_40_43.912559.jpg

Still gotta tweak the windage as the lighter trigger pull has MUCH less effect on pushing the gun. Elevation? Not so sure as it was 50-ish degrees cooler than the last time I ran a 5x6. Need to get the chrono back on the gun and start building a velocity/temp table.

Last edited:
IMO the TX22 line is the best kept secret in 22LR semi auto's.
Back in August my nephew and 4 of his friends went through a 550 brick of Fed red bulk.
Aside from one dud round there were ZERO malfunctions.
I have a Ruger 22/45 and will assure you that I can't shoot an entire brick without at least 3 or 4 malfunctions, and I thought that was pretty good.

nikonNUT

IMO the TX22 line is the best kept secret in 22LR semi auto's.
Back in August my nephew and 4 of his friends went through a 550 brick of Fed red bulk.
Aside from one dud round there were ZERO malfunctions.
I have a Ruger 22/45 and will assure you that I can't shoot an entire brick without at least 3 or 4 malfunctions, and I thought that was pretty good.
Agreed! For $239.99 (what I paid) for the TX22 I think they are pretty flawless. It eats anything, the trigger is fantastic, I think it’s a great fitting pistol, and it is 16+1. I could see adding another to the stable!

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
Daddy/daughter shooting day. Took my oldest (19) to the indoor range. We shot the 686 with 38 specials and she did a great job. She’s got small hands and prefers the bantam grips on my 66, so that be my next project. Sorry no pics of the silhouette, but here are some the Smiths.
View attachment 1357195

Beautiful pair of wheel guns. I have a 4” 686 but that snub is sexy!

nikonNUT

Well went and did a burndown on the GX4 this morning and it never missed a beat with S&B 124gr or Fiocchi 158gr subs. 122 rounds total. It is definitely snappy and a little squirmy in the hand so I think a pinky extension is a must BUT for a grab it and stick it in your pocket for a convenience store et all I think it is perfect!!! ! Also took the TX22C and ran 100 rounds thru it. It decided to be difficult and I had a few jams and the slide missed picking up a few rounds. At the end of the session I noticed a thick layer of "paste" on the chamber face and I am thinking it was the cold weather (40s) paired with the fact that RWS runs what I believe is tallow for bullet lube. Usually very slippery but this morning it was sticky. Scrubbed it stem to stern and it burned thru a box of SK Standard+ (Bees wax I believe) with no problems.

Last edited:
Well went and did a burndown on the GX4 this morning and it never missed a beat with S&B 124gr or Fiocchi 158gr subs. 122 rounds total. It is definitely snappy and a little squirmy in the hand so I think a pinky extension is a must BUT for a grab it and stick it in your pocket for a convenience store et all I think it is perfect!!! ! Also took the TX22C and ran 100 rounds thru it. It decided to be difficult and I had a few jams and the slide missed picking up a few rounds. At the end of the session I noticed a thick layer of "paste" on the chamber face and I am thinking it was the cold weather (40s) paired with the fact that RWS runs what I believe is tallow for bullet lube. Usually very slippery but this morning it was sticky. Scrubbed it stem to stern and it burned thru a box of SK Standard+ (Bees wax I believe) with no problems.
Did you try the large back strap on the GX4?
I put mine on before I fired it and it didn't squirm at all? A pinky extension will help for sure.

nikonNUT

Did you try the large back strap on the GX4?
I put mine on before I fired it and it didn't squirm at all? A pinky extension will help for sure.
I have not but I will. Did you notice any POA change with the bigger back strap?

Last edited:
Top Bottom