What's new

A Day At The Range/Gun of the day

nikonNUT

The "Peter Hathaway Capstick" of small game
Sure wish I had a "because it was there" range available to me!

How far are you from the Dallas area? Range fees and beer (NOT at the same time! :lol: ) are on me!!! As an aside... As I was leaving I saw a group of guys shooting on the Alpha range and they had an awing set-up and were grilling, chilling, and shooting! They got it right! :)

nikonNUT

@Ad Astra Would you believe that a doe wandered out in front of me while I was shooting? There is a berm at roughly 75 yards (To keep folks from shooting low?) and she just walked right across my fired of fire. I whistled, asked what she was thinking, etc... She NEVER even looked up.

My son and grandson came over for Thanksgiving. Thanksgiving day we took grandson out for his first shooting adventure. He had been talking about it for weeks, and had a "blast" . At eight years old he said it was his best day ever. He tried my bolt action 77/22 a 10/22 a Marlin 39a Mountie, my Marlin 1894 32-20, and my big AR15 in 6.5 Grendel. He like it so well he wanted to go back the next day, so off we went. He probably spent 10 hours , or close to it shooting over the weekend. The second day he also tried some of my handguns, a K 22, K 38 a Ruger single six and one shot from my Sig P365. Not bad for an eight year old. We have a BB gun put away for him for Christmas so he should be a happy camper. I don't know what got his interest up as his father was never that interested in guns or shooting, guess it skipped a generation. He is already saying that he wants to go hunting. I told my son he is on his own there. I used to do a little, years ago, but have not been in close to 45 years, and do not have a place to go.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
A range outing, my friend! One of those “because it was there” things you know?

My local range is the same, sir! I have no complaints but that rifle needs to stretch it out! Shouldn't be driving upholstery tacks with a sledge hammer, right? :lol: Well worth the 700 mile round trip! I always try and make it an adventure but taking the FM and RM roads (interstates are BORING!) and spend the night somewhere. I hit a home run with Waxahatchie! Beautiful town with an old hill country vibe, GREAT food and drink, and wonderful people! All in all good for the soul and better than dealing with the black Friday crowds. As a side note, I take back everything I said about Midlothian... Also very cool once you get off I-20 (can't avoid them 100%). Might have to spend a few days there as well! :)
Next time you will be in Waxahachie, check out Pop’s Burger Stand.

nikonNUT

Next time you will be in Waxahachie, check out Pop’s Burger Stand.
It is on my to do list! I actually saw pops as I was headed back to my place after having dinner at the Cork and Keg. Which was awesome! :) You’ll have to meet me there! Burgers are on me! :)

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
It is on my to do list! I actually saw pops as I was headed back to my place after having dinner at the Cork and Keg. Which was awesome! :) You’ll have to meet me there! Burgers are on me! :)
Will need to keep that in mind. Maybe when spring break comes I will free up a bit.

nikonNUT

Will need to keep that in mind. Maybe when spring break comes I will free up a bit.

Sounds like a plan! My vacation rolls over this Friday but my boss is out for 6 weeks for shoulder surgery two weeks from today... Spring break sounds great! Nicer weather but before the temps hit "hell adjacent" :lol:
Oh, and this place does fajitas pretty well. I always have leftovers (and I never have leftovers when I get fajitas)

El Mexicano came highly recommended (The Caldo de Camaron looks amazing!) by my hosts but the Cork and Keg lured me in with drunken mussels, shrimp grits, and pineapple hard cider! The other place that caught me eye was the BBQ joint next to Meat Church! I was bummed that was closed :(

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
Sounds like a plan! My vacation rolls over this Friday but my boss is out for 6 weeks for shoulder surgery two weeks from today... Spring break sounds great! Nicer weather but before the temps hit "hell adjacent" :lol:

El Mexicano came highly recommended (The Caldo de Camaron looks amazing!) by my hosts but the Cork and Keg lured me in with drunken mussels, shrimp grits, and pineapple hard cider! The other place that caught me eye was the BBQ joint next to Meat Church! I was bummed that was closed :(
Meat Church? That is a church I may actually go to. :)

nikonNUT

Meat Church? That is a church I may actually go to. :)

I want to worship at the alter of the holy brisket!!! :lol1:
Meat Church.jpg

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
If yer comin' you can bring some strawberry shortcake too my friend! Hope all is mostly well with you.
Life is good, cuz I know what yer talkin' about since i lost my wife. If ya could send me some 5.56mm it would be much better...can't find it anywhere.... and ive got some shootin' to do.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Life is good, cuz I know what yer talkin' about since i lost my wife. If ya could send me some 5.56mm it would be much better...can't find it anywhere.... and ive got some shootin' to do.
Wish I could my friend, but that is one ammo bug that never bit me. You've been on our minds brother.

nikonNUT

Well that was a protective range trip! Took my ladder test rounds, and armed with some interesting data on time between shots, went to work! Routine was shoot, wait 71-ish seconds (Yes, there is a calculator for that based on charge weight and heat energy of the powder of choice :shocked: ), shoot again. 5 minute rest between strings (forced air is a bit much at 55F. Cools the barrel down too much.) And repeat. Got some OK results but as I moved to higher charge weights started seeing some outliers. At 103.8 the magic kind of happened. On the last shot (of 5) I was praying "Please God, let this one stay in the group!" and my prayer was answered! This is the best behavior I have seem from the 110 to date and while the sample is small I think I have my load...
103.8gr.jpg

I may try a little closer to max and I REALLY want a better way to measure charge weights (I swear a single digit ES is so close I can taste it!) but I am liking these numbers! 2843 is nothing to sneeze at and about 120FPS faster than Hornady's factory offering. I need to test sans chrono hanging off the barrel but a bit of seating depth might be in order to tighten up the horizontal spread. That is next weekends project! Back to processing brass <sigh> :lol:

Last edited:
Top Bottom