What's new

A Day At The Range/Gun of the day

nikonNUT

The "Peter Hathaway Capstick" of small game
Well the ten round mags came and neither works. Really disappointing.

proxy.php
Is it me or do those look ALOT like Savage 64 / CZ mags?

nikonNUT

Well! That was an odd range session. Took 10 rounds out to check ES/SD and everything fell into place... for the first 5 shot. First one out was 4 FPS faster that my ladder results and the next 4 netted an ES of 11 and an SD of 4.4. Then they started speeding up! Jumped into the 2880s (reloading operator error I was thinking), then into the low 2900s, and the last shot was 2960! That is 75FPS faster on 1.5grs less powder than my over max charge when I shot the ladder! I repeated the test this afternoon. Same kind of results. First 5 shots were where expected velocity wise and then the FPS started creeping up. I didn't see quite as much speed on the last shot but was still hitting 2900+ with less powder. Several thoughts come to mind. 1)My rifle hates the 285s. I doubt this as I was shooting at a reduced silhouette target that a mimicks 250M full silhouette at 25M and it was hung at 50 yards. Someone left it up and it was something to aim at :) 2) My chrono has given up the ghost or something is off on the mounting and I am getting weird readings...

Last edited:

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Well! That was an odd range session. Took 10 rounds out to check ES/SD and everything fell into place... for the first 5 shot. First one out was 4 FPS faster that my ladder results and the next 4 netted an ES of 11 and an SD of 4.4. Then they started speeding up! Jumped into the 2880s (reloading operator error I was thinking), then into the low 2900s, and the last shot was 2960! That is 75FPS faster on 1.5grs less powder than my over max charge when I shot the ladder! I repeated the test this afternoon. Same kind of results. First 5 shots were where expected velocity wise and then the FPS started creeping up. I didn't see quite as much speed on the last shot but was still hitting 2900+ with less powder. Several thoughts come to mind. 1)My rifle hates the 285s. I doubt this as I was shooting at a reduced silhouette target that a mimicks 250M full silhouette at 25M and it was hung at 50 yards. Someone left it up and it was something to aim at :) 2) My chrono has given up the ghost or something is off on the mounting and I am getting weird readings...
I'm far from a physicist but.... do boolits go faster out of a warm barrel?

nikonNUT

I'm far from a physicist but.... do boolits go faster out of a warm barrel?
I wondered that as well as if my cleaning had something to do with it but... The second go around should have been properly fouled and I use a Magneto Speed Riflekuhl (Two minutes) between shots. If forces ambient temp air (a goodly bit of it at 72F today) down the barrel. I bought it so that my suppressor wouldn't melt down but it is handy to keep temps in check period! :D
Riflekuhl.jpg

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
I wondered that as well as if my cleaning had something to do with it but... The second go around should have been properly fouled and I use a Magneto Speed Riflekuhl (Two minutes) between shots. If forces ambient temp air (a goodly bit of it at 72F today) down the barrel. I bought it so that my suppressor wouldn't melt down but it is handy to keep temps in check period! :D
View attachment 1185420
Where does he get those "kuhl" toys my friends?!? Batman???

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Sick for three solid weeks, "forced" myself to go shooting today. Arguably necessary.

High Standard Sentinel, HS derringer and SP-101.

full

50 rounds of warm 38 reloads, and assorted 22s.

full

But. Just had to shoot a 22 WMR shotshell at about 12 feet. Bit too far for the derringer ...

full

Interestingly, if you look around 1 o'clock, a piece of the blue shotshell casing is stuck in the target! Ouch!

full

And some rounds keyhole, which suits me fine. :devil:

AA

I love that little Smith. What’s your take?
It’s my second (technically third one). Bought one new a few years back and the rear sight dovetail was jacked up so S&W had to replace the frame. The one I got back had a god awful trigger so I eventually sold it. Bought another this year and it has a much better trigger, after some trigger work it is a dream. But I had to replace the cylinder latch as it was filed too short from the factory. So yeah S&W QC is garbage.

This gun fills a very specific niche for me. But it is much more enjoyable to shoot than my 442. I will likely be keeping the current one I have.

nikonNUT

Well... That was an experience! The weather was blah running in the low 50s with spitting rain and ripping wind that NEVER got below 10 MPH and blew WAY harder than that a few times, my dopes were off (because I forgot to zero the Kestrel and Strelok to the direction of fire), my scope zero needs work. my reloads questionable, I think I have a concussion from the muzzle blast :lol: (80 rounds in one sitting is a bit much), and I shot the bolt loose. Seriously, all of the sudden I the bolt handle was flopping and I was confused. Did a field repair and rocked on! The results of all those cluster (well you know) combined? Solid hits at 800 to 1600 yards, at least one at 1700 yards, and as hard as I tried 1 mile, 1800 yards, and 2000 yards (OK, I didn't even try at 2K...) eluded me. Still, I am very pleased with my second attempt and first trying north of 5000 feet and know what I need to do for the next trip. :) Boring pictures! Triple C is truly a long rangers wet dream!
TripleC1.jpg

Yes there are targets out there...
TripleC2.jpg

TrileC3.jpg

And the calmest conditions I saw all day... I had my rifle case open on the bench and one gust blew it clean off!
TripleC4.PNG

Fun fact... The targets flash bright red when you hit them. First hit at 1200 had me thinking "What the hell?" :lol:

Last edited:

nikonNUT

@nikonNUT, was this a competition, a shooting school, or just a range outing?

A range outing, my friend! One of those “because it was there” things you know?

That is the coolest long range setup I've ever seen. Our hick range is 200 max. Shoot over the berm and you might hit a deer by accident.

AA

My local range is the same, sir! I have no complaints but that rifle needs to stretch it out! Shouldn't be driving upholstery tacks with a sledge hammer, right? :lol: Well worth the 700 mile round trip! I always try and make it an adventure but taking the FM and RM roads (interstates are BORING!) and spend the night somewhere. I hit a home run with Waxahatchie! Beautiful town with an old hill country vibe, GREAT food and drink, and wonderful people! All in all good for the soul and better than dealing with the black Friday crowds. As a side note, I take back everything I said about Midlothian... Also very cool once you get off I-20 (can't avoid them 100%). Might have to spend a few days there as well! :)

Last edited:
Top Bottom