What's new

A Day At The Range/Gun of the day

I just received a 22lr conversion kit for my CZ 75 Compact. My thinking was to use cheap ammo and to have something to teach my daughter with.

Took it to the range yesterday. Most of my practice is drawing from a holster - First shot DA in a big circle and the next at a smaller circle. Because that’s how I’d shoot in real life.

That is a fun and accurate gun! Great practice tool.

Just messing around a bit...
9A64F6ED-054B-4EA2-80E8-BDBD134EA6E0.jpeg

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
Worked the range as an RSO yesterday, sure was busy! It's always somewhat busy this time of year as hunters verify their zeros before hunting season, but there was plenty of new gun owners and brand new ARs and other tacticool variations. People just burning ammo like there was no tomorrow. Plenty of new brass for the brass scroungers. Plenty of gun malfunctions, dead red dot sights with no back up sights, etc. It's always educational to see what people bring to the range, both good and bad!

Worked the range as an RSO yesterday, sure was busy! It's always somewhat busy this time of year as hunters verify their zeros before hunting season, but there was plenty of new gun owners and brand new ARs and other tacticool variations. People just burning ammo like there was no tomorrow. Plenty of new brass for the brass scroungers. Plenty of gun malfunctions, dead red dot sights with no back up sights, etc. It's always educational to see what people bring to the range, both good and bad!
Where are these people finding ammo?

Maybe certain sellers are holding back stock in order to entice sales?

We can hook you up with that AR, and even some ammo.

Maybe certain sellers are holding back stock in order to entice sales?

We can hook you up with that AR, and even some ammo.
Can confirm. Taught a CPL class at a LGS a few weeks ago, that’s what the shop owner was telling me they were doing, at least for the .223/5.56 ammo they had in stock.

nikonNUT

The "Peter Hathaway Capstick" of small game
Yup! My LGS has a few cases socked back for buyers. Buy a gun get the option to buy two boxes of ammo... Course I was in the back room chatting up the owner and saw the PALLET of Winchester XM855! At least he dropped the price of 150 round tac paks to $74.99. I'm still doing my box a week thang. :lol1:

As for the range... Been playing with the .338LM post fire lapping. 96.5grs nets me 2704FPS. ES was going great and them I had one go slow and bump it to 23. SD was 7.0 (Not bad but not good enough...) and sub MOA at 200 yards (This is good!). 100.0gr gets me 2835FPS (ES of 21 and an SD of 8.4. Still think I can do better) and makes small children cry. His Mom asked if he wanted to want me shoot... He got a little close. Yvette has a wicked roar with that much powder on board!

Last edited:

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.

Nobody using a ramrod down the barrel while looking in the other end? :)

martym

Unacceptably Lasering Chicken Giblets?
We had quals today with both duty carry and M4.
At least it wasn’t 115° this time.
We also had to have night fire.
So we started at 0600.

We fired 136 pistol rounds and 70 rifle rounds.

It was fun. I shot with all rookies. They enjoy making fun of the old man and I just enjoy shooting (still).

It was a good day.

captp

Pretty Pink Fairy Princess.
Had about an hour or so at the makeshift gunrange at my BiL's, about 30' or so.

Walther PPQ SC (3.5" barrel) & Q4 TAC (4.6" barrel) both 9mm
0909201625~2.jpg

SC 10 rounds
PPQ SC.jpg

TAC 4 15 rounds
PPQ TAC4.jpg

About as good as I expected. Not so bad for a guy who hasn't fired a gun in close to 30 years .

jar_

Too Fugly For Free.
Took the Mossberg "New Haven" 251c that I've been trying to get to feed reliably to he range today and zip. It simply was not picking up or even trying top feed. So back home. Pull out some snap caps to see if I can determine what is happening ... and they feed flawlessly. Try some live ammo and it feeds flawlessly.

Back to the range and this time success with three different brands of 22LRs. Feed, fire, eject, all as right in the world but trigger not resetting. So tighten the endcap a couple more turns and trigger resets and the gun is once again a giggle machine; pure enjoyment.

Like Harry's Dad; it's MUCH better now.

proxy.php

nikonNUT

The "Peter Hathaway Capstick" of small game
So it turns out I shot my scope loose... Not the rings or base but the zero stop set screws. This weekends range session was re-zeroing at 100 (got it close with the 300gr scenars and stopped as I am changing bullets) and running a ladder test. Results are promising and I will re-test next weekend to check ES and SD! 285 ELD-Ms are looking good!

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"

jar_

Too Fugly For Free.
Gave the old Remington 511 Scoremaster a SPA Day and even ordered some High Cap (10 round) magazines for it from Brownell's. They should get here today. The 511 is a 25" barrel magazine fed bolt action and mine was made in May of 1945, when Remington was returning to a civilian market rather than military. The 511 had been introduced back in 1939 before the war and was made up until 1963.

proxy.php

For a rifle that's three-quarters of a century old it's still amazing. The action is smooth and precise, the dual extractors work flawlessly and ejection is positive. Accuracy has always been great but these days the targets are less reliable than they usta was. I think it's simply that the targets being made these days are too flimsy to stay still otherwise I imagine it would still make the same tight little groups it once did. It works still with 22 short & LR and if I ever come across some 22 Long I'll retry to see if it still feeds them as well as it once did.

With the long 25" barrel shooting the last of my CCI 22CB ammo it was nearly silent and there as simply no noticeable recoil. Accuracy was all I could expect as well. Hopefully I'll find some more for sale someday. In fact the bolt action was far louder than the ammo report.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Gave the old Remington 511 Scoremaster a SPA Day and even ordered some High Cap (10 round) magazines for it from Brownell's. They should get here today. The 511 is a 25" barrel magazine fed bolt action and mine was made in May of 1945, when Remington was returning to a civilian market rather than military. The 511 had been introduced back in 1939 before the war and was made up until 1963.

proxy.php

For a rifle that's three-quarters of a century old it's still amazing. The action is smooth and precise, the dual extractors work flawlessly and ejection is positive. Accuracy has always been great but these days the targets are less reliable than they usta was. I think it's simply that the targets being made these days are too flimsy to stay still otherwise I imagine it would still make the same tight little groups it once did. It works still with 22 short & LR and if I ever come across some 22 Long I'll retry to see if it still feeds them as well as it once did.

With the long 25" barrel shooting the last of my CCI 22CB ammo it was nearly silent and there as simply no noticeable recoil. Accuracy was all I could expect as well. Hopefully I'll find some more for sale someday. In fact the bolt action was far louder than the ammo report.

Purely a classic and +1 on spa day - a great habit and cheaper than buying a new toy.

I learned to shoot on that rifle, a thousand years ago. The groups at 50' could indeed be covered with a coin.

(They still can, but it's one of those novelty frisbee-sized coins)

AA

jar_

Too Fugly For Free.
Numrich says they have some made by Gun Parts Company (numrich) so I ordered a 5 round and 15 round from them.

Top Bottom