What's new

A Day At The Range/Gun of the day

I got out last Thursday for the first time in too long and got to enjoy S&W 629 6.5" (only ran 18 rounds, wanted to warm up on a nice, heavy, long trigger before moving onto some other newbies to the collection), then onto S&W 1006 10mm for some good heavy DA/SA action, and to really get all the flinch out. After that was the one I'd been waiting to try, my new Taurus PT111 G2, which was why I wanted so much heavy DA trigger use before shooting it, as I really wanted to see what the gun was capable of without as much learning curve. Sadly the sights were way off, and I didn't mess with them thinking it was the squishy trigger, just ran 100 through to break it in, see if I had any failures, and see where it shot to. Next time out, after adjustment, hopefully will get it more dialed in, but overall, way impressed with a $200 gun for what it is. After that was the one I was hoping would be super smooth after all the heavy lifting, my first time out with the Five SeveN. It shoots light, but even so, something about the gun, grip angle, whatever made it not my best shooter. I was sort of assuming that tiny little round out of that big gun and long barrel would be outstanding to shoot. I think it'll need a little more hand time to get comfortable with that huge grip. And last, but certainly not least, had the first chance to see how the threaded barrel and C&S firing group/trigger job came out on my Sig Tacops 1911. It definitely isn't a carry gun, with the TLR-1 on it, but boy oh boy is it a sweeeeet shooter. Soft shooting, easy to put right back on target for follow ups, easily my new favorite range gun, pushing the Beretta 92 right out. To the degree that I might actually get rid of the Beretta just because it will be hard to put down the Sig. Can't wait to get the suppressor to go with the barrel to see what that does.

Pretty sad that it's been so long that I still had 5 guns to try out, either new or new configurations. I need to get to the range more, still have to see if the Wesson CBOB became easier to put right where I want it with the new Trijicon HDs. I hated those sights.

Sadly, no target time today. BUT....

I did fire up my Dillon 550 and load up 100 rounds of .40 S&W target ammo.

I also fondled my AR. The poor thing was all sad and lonely. I guess it needs to come along next range trip. It hasn't even broken it in yet, my estimate is about 200 rounds have been fired.

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
Monday, myself and another officer drove to a neighboring municipality and participated in their Close Combat / Lowlight Handgun / Patrol Rifle class for their patrol officers. The class was 1600 -2400 hours so until about 2300 hours it was around 100 degrees. Daylight was spent engaging multiple steel and paper silhouette targets from ranges of 15, 10, 7, 5, 3 yards and push off targets at 1 yards with issued sidearms.

After dark, time was spent engaging multiple steel silhouettes with patrol rifles from 50, 25, 15 yards. Also, close combat rifle with handgun transitions at 15, 10 and 5 yards. Also engaged multiple targets exiting from, thru, and from inside a patrol vehicle.

The last hour of the class from 2300-2400 hours was spent doing a officer's nightfire handgun qualification and patrol rifle qualification.
It was a long hot sweaty day, shooting 500 rounds each of .40 S&W and .556 Hornady TAP ammunition.

My issued handgun is a Glock 23 with Diamond Speed Sights and tritium inserts and my patrol rifle is a LWRC piston ICA5 10.5" barrel SBR with LWRC free float, MagPul furniture, and Aimpoint Micro T-1 optic.

Last edited:

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
Monday, myself and another officer drove to a neighboring municipality and participated in their Close Combat / Lowlight Handgun / Patrol Rifle class for their patrol officers. The class was 1600 -2400 hours so until about 2300 hours it was around 100 degrees. Daylight was spent engaging multiple steel and paper silhouette targets from ranges of 15, 10, 7, 5, 3 yards and push off targets at 1 yards with issued sidearms.

After dark, time was spent engaging multiple steel silhouettes with patrol rifles from 50, 25, 15 yards. Also, close combat rifle with handgun transitions at 15, 10 and 5 yards. Also engaged multiple targets exiting from, thru, and from inside a patrol vehicle.

The last hour of the class from 2300-2400 hours was spent doing a officer's nightfire handgun qualification and patrol rifle qualification.
It was a long hot sweaty day, shooting 500 rounds each of .40 S&W and .556 Hornady TAP ammunition.

My issued handgun is a Glock 23 with Diamond Speed Sights and tritium inserts and my patrol rifle is a LWRC piston ICA5 10.5" barrel SBR with LWRC free float, MagPul furniture, and Aimpoint Micro T-1 optic.

Now just how much of my tax money went to pay for all of that ammunition?

Oh...I don't pay Oklahoma taxes anymore...city or county...and Texas has no state tax. :001_smile

Sounds like a long, hot day. Hope you didn't have to pull a shift before you went. After dark did you do some firing with 2 or 3 patrol units behind you with the overheads going, or some spotlights down range shining in your direction?

Sounds like a good course. And...just curious...have you ever attended a Street Survival course. I have two autographed books from the course when I went.

Now to get back on "course." Haven't been shooting in a few weeks but this weekend I'm planning on shooting a stack of wet phone books I've had soaking for a week with some .38 Special Buffalo Bore standard pressure 158 gr. LSWC-HP to check expansion out of my Colt Cobra, fire some .38 +P Buffalo Bore FBI loads in the L frame to see if SWMBO likes them (she hates full house .357 loads but is fine with .38 Special 110 gr. +P hollow points out of the L frame), check the functioning of my Glock 22 after installing a connector kit from Taran Tactical and some other stuff from Wolf, and check the POI at 100 yards on my old Marlin 336C...my coyote repellant.

Last edited:

OkieStubble

Now just how much of my tax money went to pay for all of that ammunition?

Oh...I don't pay Oklahoma taxes anymore...city or county...and Texas has no state tax. :001_smile

The TAP ammo is duty carry and way expensive. We usually train with whatever cheap. 55gr fmj fodder we can get a hold of. But we are trading out old Colt Commando's for the LWRC's and needed to put them thru their paces with duty carry fare.

Sounds like a long, hot day. Hope you didn't have to pull a shift before you went. After dark did you do some firing with 2 or 3 patrol units behind you with the overheads going, or some spotlights down range shining in your direction?

Man, it was sunny, hot, windy, dusty and extremely humid. I was just thankful I don't live in Texas. :) Didn't have to pull a shift. I actually started a 14 day annual leave Tuesday. :) We had overheads going. We just pulled an old Crown Vic down, that we don't mind accidently shooting the rearview door mirrors off of. Which I think someone actually did. :)

Sounds like a good course. And...just curious...have you ever attended a Street Survival course. I have two autographed books from the course when I went. .

Been to a few Street Officer Survival Courses. Most of them focus on officer force-on-force type scenarios. Things such as officer weapon retention, how to spot signs or "tells" of suspect concealed carry, situational awareness and dynamic contacts and things of that nature. I think the hardest thing to teach young officers in officer survival skills, is in continuing the fight after getting hit multiple times. Because you cant simulate "getting shot."

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
I think the hardest thing to teach young officers in officer survival skills, is in continuing the fight after getting hit multiple times. Because you cant simulate "getting shot."

That's just called the "Hell or High Water" thing. :biggrin1:

Sorry, off track from the tread.

Took my teen daughter to the range a few days ago, it was her first time shooting.

She tried my Browning HI-power 9mm, 115gr FMJ reloads but did not like the trigger kick, so I gave her my Colt King Cobra, .357 with a 6" barrel and a trigger job. She really liked .38's in 138gr wad cutters and 158gr FMJ but thought the magnum loads (also 158gr) were too much. She enjoyed double action with the butter trigger. I set up the target at about 8-10 yards, out of the box she was keeping all shots within a 10" area, next thing I see is she is pushing the target to the max limit of the indoor range ~23 yards and she is putting her rounds into a 12"-14" area with nice 2"-6" groupings! It was a proud moment!

My off the shelf 700P and a budget 10x42 fixed power
Only mod is the Jewell BR Trigger
Using cheap American Eagle Service Rifle Brass
good ole W748 Handloads tipped with the same flat base 125gr pills i use in my 300blk ARPistol
can't afford fancy lapua brass, SMKs, boat tail, or scenar projectiles
proxy.php
~
100yd
proxy.php

Last edited:
View attachment 589129

Taking my personal best shot of a mile with my friend's 375 Cheytac that was purpose built to set the world record with a 4400 yard (2.5 mile) shot. This thing is a beast with a 34" Brux barrel, one of a kind Zeb bipod, 3200 fops at the muzzle with a 350 grain bullet, 135 grains of powder, a Nightforce competition scope and an overall weight of just a hair over 70 lbs. The recoil was actually less than a 223.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
the gun was specifically built to hit a target 4400 yards away?

Yowza! You'll have to keep us filled in when that happens.

Rudy Vey

Shaving baby skin and turkey necks
Again the Kimber 1911 Stainless Steel Target in 9 mm - what a sweet and precise gun (for my abilities...)
S&W M+P Shield 9 mm, also very, very nice.

Shot my own reloads, all 115 or 124 grains under CFE Pistol or Titegroup. Like the heavier bullet under Titegroup a bit better then the 115 grains.

Last time at the range was a week ago--I have deadlines out the wazoo--and finally gave the M&P15 a workout entirely offhand. I didn't suck as badly as I thought I would. :laugh: I hadn't had the rifle out for a good while because I was concentrating on pistol for a class I recently took.

I really want to take a tactical rifle class with an emphasis on home defense. Not sure there's much available in my area.

Rudy Vey

Shaving baby skin and turkey necks
Some S&W 686 action today, plus some testing of the cheap S&B primers in my finicky Glock 34, they worked fine in both guns.

OkieStubble

Ran a police Requal thru my off duty Glock 19 Gen 4 Friday. Got to put 200 rounds thru the new Sig Sauer 320 today at the local gun club.

Very interesting pistol.

Top Bottom