What's new

A Day At The Range/Gun of the day

Gentlemen

I finally took one of my rifles to the range. It is a CZ 527 in a HS Precision stock. This is the first time I have fired this gun, so it is brand new (I have had it for several years).

Particulars
Bluebird skies, 63 degrees F, side wind (from the left) about 10 mph
All shots at 100 yards
.223 Remington
Sierra 40 grain Blitzking bullets (coated with WS2)
Winchester 748 powder
Winchester brass, neck turned, primer pockets reworked, flash holes deburred, necks annealed
Murom primers
Bullets seated .015 off the lands
Source of loading data - Nosler

This is a pressure series and was shot in the order numbered. #1 is Nosler starting load. #5 is Nosler max load.
Chuck.jpg

No velocities were measured (yet).

Much to my astonishment, the maximum load delivered the best accuracy with the group measuring .502 CTC.

Chuck2.jpg

I have loaded the next series with the #5 max powder charge, seating the bullets out .005 for each increment. Five rounds per series with top load being .003 off the lands. Yes, I will be watching pressures. Not my first rodeo. Using coated bullets, the velocities will be low by as much as 150 fps, so pressures are usually not a concern. That being said, I will monitor them nonetheless.

Now, to return to the range and see if I can improve that group. Frankly, I am near certain that this rifle will shoot one hole groups.
I just need to find it's favorite food.

This is only the first. I have several rifles needing load development. I have unfulfillable expectations for my custom rifles. Some may actually deliver.

When load development for this one is complete, the .17 Remington is next. I have already shot a 1/4 inch group with the 17 using factory ammunition. I am excited about seeing what it can do with tailored handloads. I will need a calm day for the little fellow.

Bill.

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
Didn’t feel disadvantaged compared to a stock? Wow! Considering toutjist now are getting your feet under shooting with just a buffer tube, that’s saying a lot! Seems you have adapt fairly quickly?
So in full disclosure, if this had been longer distances or requiring greater precision, then a stock most definitely would have been an advantage. On two of the stages we had to start with the gun unloaded and on a barrel, so the sling was not used due to time constraints and I'm sure a stocked or arm braced gun would of been a slight advantage. I shot one stage with my .30 cal suppressor and without the sling and my score was not too impressive, a sling would have helped as the suppressor made the gun very front heavy. Where the starting position was holding the gun at a low ready and the sling could be employed before the timer was running, that's where there was little to no perceived disadvantage to not having a stock or arm brace. Also these were very static stages, no movement or running and gunning, just standing bolt upright and shooting from one position. Throw movement and shooting from different positions into the mix and the whole dynamic would change and there would be situations where shouldered fire would be most advantageous. But in this match, I attribute most of my mistakes to operator error, like jerking the trigger and trying to shoot too fast, as opposed to not having a stocked weapon. In two of the stages (out of four total), my time was within less than a second of the time the winner shot, beating him once time-wise, but his hits were better than mine and he was using a full sized stocked AR. So I was pushing the speed a bit too much. I probably would have placed higher if I had slowed down. These were also quick stages, nine shots if you didn't miss, but most shooters missed at least a couple of times. Some shooters had to do a mag change due to missing distant steel targets! I think I ran one stage clean without any misses, but had a couple of "C" zone hits. Overall, I was pleased with the performance of the cheek welded AR pistol.

Last edited:

jar_

Too Fugly For Free.
Got to the range with the Baby Rock 380 and ran the first fifty rounds through. The only issue was a failure to hold the slide open on two of the five magazines but only on the first loading. When I loaded a few more rounds in those two they held open after the last round. I marked the mags and will see if there is an issue.

Even though it's a tiny pistol I can get all three fingers on the grip. It's super skinny though,under an inch, so need to work on my grip.

Also, the trigger is so close I am having a hard time finding the best finger placement and that showed in the patterns. North and south were okay but east and west were sometimes surprising. Everything still in a 6" circle though at 7 yards so definitely me learning where to put my pieces parts.

In the fifty rounds there were no failure to feeds, no failure to go into battery, no failure to fire and no failure to eject. Got one case bounced into my shirt pocket; nothing but net.

Back to trigger finger. Really need to work on that. Somehow I managed to bruise and maybe even cut the front side of my trigger finger close to the knuckle. Not sure cut is range related since it looks more like a cat scratch and one of my cats does tend to grab my hand when it wants attention. But I'm definitely hitting something with the front of my trigger finger.

Overall experience:

The impulse is sharp and hard. The slide is hard to rack. No problem on a good day but definitely would be an issue on a not so good day. It is really skinny and conceals well. Grip is big enough to get all my fingers in place. Would like slightly fatter grips with more palm swell. It's not a range toy that I'd take out to just shoot a ton for fun but certainly manageable for training sessions and definitely viable in an SD situation.

Excluding the considerably larger light rack generation 380s, I'd say it was the best of the small ones including my Sig P230. The front sight was nearly impossible to pick up so put on a neon green paint stripe and that worked. Magazine release button very stiff but it's new. Trigger pull was okay, about five pounds with quick and positive reset; but the edges are rough and I need to figure out my finger placement.

I'm happy so far with the little midget but see that I'm going to have to change how I do stuff.

And jess for fun, a screen grab that shows the midget mainspring. It's so cute!

mainspring.png

And field strip:

field-strip.png

Got to the range with the Baby Rock 380 and ran the first fifty rounds through. The only issue was a failure to hold the slide open on two of the five magazines but only on the first loading. When I loaded a few more rounds in those two they held open after the last round. I marked the mags and will see if there is an issue.

Even though it's a tiny pistol I can get all three fingers on the grip. It's super skinny though,under an inch, so need to work on my grip.

Also, the trigger is so close I am having a hard time finding the best finger placement and that showed in the patterns. North and south were okay but east and west were sometimes surprising. Everything still in a 6" circle though at 7 yards so definitely me learning where to put my pieces parts.

In the fifty rounds there were no failure to feeds, no failure to go into battery, no failure to fire and no failure to eject. Got one case bounced into my shirt pocket; nothing but net.

Back to trigger finger. Really need to work on that. Somehow I managed to bruise and maybe even cut the front side of my trigger finger close to the knuckle. Not sure cut is range related since it looks more like a cat scratch and one of my cats does tend to grab my hand when it wants attention. But I'm definitely hitting something with the front of my trigger finger.

Overall experience:

The impulse is sharp and hard. The slide is hard to rack. No problem on a good day but definitely would be an issue on a not so good day. It is really skinny and conceals well. Grip is big enough to get all my fingers in place. Would like slightly fatter grips with more palm swell. It's not a range toy that I'd take out to just shoot a ton for fun but certainly manageable for training sessions and definitely viable in an SD situation.

Excluding the considerably larger light rack generation 380s, I'd say it was the best of the small ones including my Sig P230. The front sight was nearly impossible to pick up so put on a neon green paint stripe and that worked. Magazine release button very stiff but it's new. Trigger pull was okay, about five pounds with quick and positive reset; but the edges are rough and I need to figure out my finger placement.

I'm happy so far with the little midget but see that I'm going to have to change how I do stuff.

And jess for fun, a screen grab that shows the midget mainspring. It's so cute!

View attachment 1629591

And field strip:

View attachment 1629592
I suspect the ding was from the trigger guard. I couldn't stand to take my little Seecamp .380 out because it banged my trigger finger pretty hard. Snappy. Hornady Xtreme Defender make it comfortable to shoot. It was like night and day.

jar_

Too Fugly For Free.
I suspect the ding was from the trigger guard. I couldn't stand to take my little Seecamp .380 out because it banged my trigger finger pretty hard. Snappy. Hornady Xtreme Defender make it comfortable to shoot. It was like night and day.
I don't see any other likely suspect.

View attachment 1629064

View attachment 1629065

Not sure I’ve ever been more proud of my shooting accomplishments/progress than I was today. I’ve really put in the time/effort and sacrificed the feeling in my right hand to get good with that 11oz S&W 340PD. That’s a cylinder dump of 5 rounds from a holster, as fast as I can shoot at 7 yards with 125gr Barnes TAC-XPD .357 Magnum defense ammo, flying out of that tiny barrel at 1,200 feet per second. I was able to replicate this 3X in a row with bear identical results before my hand kindly told me that was enough for the day. I would feel extremely confident armed with this little pocket rocket. Absolutely in love with this thing and it continues to amaze me how darn accurate this thing can be - my first shot is always right in the red - and if I am slow and steady and take my time I can keep all 5 shots in the 10 ring.

I might change my mind when the Kimber K6S DC shows up in a few weeks, but for now this might just be my favorite pistol. Color me surprised.

Edit: one additional note - I find the recoil brisk, but manageable. Shoot ~50 rounds of .38 special per trip, and you’re fine. Increase that number with heavier .38 special loads, or start shooting .357 magnum out of it without a glove, and you’re going to feel it. I stopped using a glove and only shoot it gloveless, and I’ve been shooting it quite a bit, but my hand/wrist feel it for days afterward. If you’re north of 170lbs and have reasonably power hands without arthritis - don’t let the recoil scare you away from this lovely little revolver. It’s HUGE fun.

I will say, my right hand has permanent damage from magnum recoil. Shot a number of revolvers with bare back strap. Literally hundreds of rounds per session. Definitely have shot 10's of thousands of rounds that way. For decades. Now can only shoot some firearms where the recoil is limited. Something to keep in mind, the price to be paid for the magnum fun.

nikonNUT

The "Peter Hathaway Capstick" of small game
Took the tiny Taurus to the range today to see how it shoots. I’m still pushing the gun to the left but it shows promise. All 14 round groups with irons (plastics? 🤣). 1st 2 picsare rotated left dang it!
3 yards…
7C94E4B7-8559-447A-8C7D-8A7064DBCFE1.jpeg

7 yards…
23D6854D-BFCE-4B21-A962-EEAB514992F4.jpeg

15 yards (as far as I could go with out shooting from the parking lot! 🤣) and I balanced the 3 pink dots on the front sight. BTW, that is a standard IDPA target so the dashed line is an 8" diameter circle. I'm guessing a 4" group?
F45610A8-DB84-46E9-8EE5-460BE0CDAD7B.jpeg

'Bout 150 total today and they all fed, went bang, and ejected perfectly! It would make a potent back-up loaded with CCI Stingers!

Last edited:
I've owned some hunting property near the US / Canadian border since 1986. I get there about once a month and every time I go I bring a few firearms along and carve out some time for a little plinking.

Back in January of 2009 Ruger announced the brand new LCR in .38 Special. I had to have one and manged to get my paws on one in August of 2009. This little guy has been a constant companion ever since. I reload ammo and .38 / .357mag is one of my favorites. The straight wall cases are easy to load and I shoot them out of revolvers so I don't have to spend hours picking up empty shell casings. For some odd reason that I'm sure is a sign I have OCD I have actually tracked how many rounds I've fired through my LCR. A variety of weapons have accompanied my monthly trips to the cabin, but the LCR has gone along virtually every trip as its either in an OWB or IWB holster and with me at all times. Since it is primarily a self-defense weapon I fire at least a few rounds through her every month just to stay sharp with the little snubby.

Somewhere along the line the past 14 years I settled upon Hornady Critical Defense .38 Special +P 110 grain FTX rounds for the load I carry. I don't use reloads for self-defense as an attorney friend suggested that may "complicate" things should I ever actually find myself or loved ones in harms way. So i save reloads for plinking and those are typically standard pressure loads pushing 158 grain lead SWC's that I cast myself.

So here's the point of all my blathering. When I acquired the LCR back in '09 I got a lot of grief from my hunting buddies for buying a plastic gun made by Mattel. I think thats probably why I tracked how many rounds I've put through her. To see how durable this firearm actually is. Here's the tally so far;

- 1500 standard pressure reloads.
- 300 +p reloads
- 550 standard pressure factory rounds of various manufacture.
- 1415 +P factory rounds.

3,765 rounds total and still going strong. Aside from regular cleaning I've done nothing to the weapon except use it for its intended purpose. I've seen no signs of excessive wear.

I had a Bianchi holster for years and finally had to replace it. I bought a pair of Talon leather holsters, one IWB and one OWB and am breaking them in. So far I'm quite happy with the quality of the Talons.

Except for sighting in rifles for hunting season I never hang paper targets. This morning I stuck one on some cardboard at about chest height, backed off 30 feet, and fired 3 cylinders of Hornadys through the LCR.

I've got some hunting rifles and shotguns that have a lot of memories and a lot of soul and I'd hate to lose them. The Ruger LCR....well....if I dropped it in the river today I wouldn't lose any sleep, but I would buy another one. Its sort of like a reliable chain saw I suppose. Where its lacking in soul in more than makes up for in usefulness. The Ruger LCR is one of my favorite tools.

LCR.jpg

I've owned some hunting property near the US / Canadian border since 1986. I get there about once a month and every time I go I bring a few firearms along and carve out some time for a little plinking.

Back in January of 2009 Ruger announced the brand new LCR in .38 Special. I had to have one and manged to get my paws on one in August of 2009. This little guy has been a constant companion ever since. I reload ammo and .38 / .357mag is one of my favorites. The straight wall cases are easy to load and I shoot them out of revolvers so I don't have to spend hours picking up empty shell casings. For some odd reason that I'm sure is a sign I have OCD I have actually tracked how many rounds I've fired through my LCR. A variety of weapons have accompanied my monthly trips to the cabin, but the LCR has gone along virtually every trip as its either in an OWB or IWB holster and with me at all times. Since it is primarily a self-defense weapon I fire at least a few rounds through her every month just to stay sharp with the little snubby.

Somewhere along the line the past 14 years I settled upon Hornady Critical Defense .38 Special +P 110 grain FTX rounds for the load I carry. I don't use reloads for self-defense as an attorney friend suggested that may "complicate" things should I ever actually find myself or loved ones in harms way. So i save reloads for plinking and those are typically standard pressure loads pushing 158 grain lead SWC's that I cast myself.

So here's the point of all my blathering. When I acquired the LCR back in '09 I got a lot of grief from my hunting buddies for buying a plastic gun made by Mattel. I think thats probably why I tracked how many rounds I've put through her. To see how durable this firearm actually is. Here's the tally so far;

- 300 +p reloads

3,765 rounds total and still going strong. Aside from regular cleaning I've done nothing to the weapon except use it for its intended purpose. I've seen no signs of excessive wear.

I had a Bianchi holster for years and finally had to replace it. I bought a pair of Talon leather holsters, one IWB and one OWB and am breaking them in. So far I'm quite happy with the quality of the Talons.

Except for sighting in rifles for hunting season I never hang paper targets. This morning I stuck one on some cardboard at about chest height, backed off 30 feet, and fired 3 cylinders of Hornadys through the LCR.

I've got some hunting rifles and shotguns that have a lot of memories and a lot of soul and I'd hate to lose them. The Ruger LCR....well....if I dropped it in the river today I wouldn't lose any sleep, but I would buy another one. Its sort of like a reliable chain saw I suppose. Where its lacking in soul in more than makes up for in usefulness. The Ruger LCR is one of my favorite tools.

View attachment 1631616
Nice, one on the dime and the others at 9 cents each. Not bad at all. Was the 10 ring shot the first?

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.

- 300 +p reloads

View attachment 1631616

Awesome group for a snubbie at 10 yards. I like that holster. I might have to follow suit and get me one. I like ugly guns that will just plain ole function. My LCR will probably be the 9mm version with moon clips. :)

Nice, one on the dime and the others at 9 cents each. Not bad at all. Was the 10 ring shot the first?

No, the 10 ring was a midpack flier. I wasn't wearing my glasses so I just put the orange blob on top of where I though the front sight might be and squeezed the trigger.

Awesome group for a snubbie at 10 yards. I like that holster. I might have to follow suit and get me one. I like ugly guns that will just plain ole function. My LCR will probably be the 9mm version with moon clips. :)

I hear ya about the 9mm. At the time I made the purchase the LCR only came in one flavor, .38. Or at least thats all you could get up on the frozen tundra. I have various 9mm's, I even have a S&W revolver in 9 that uses moon clips so I'm familiar with them and quite like them. Its easy to toss a moon clip in the pocket. So when they introduced the LCR in 9 I was very tempted. Then came the .327mag and I was even more tempted. So far I've stuck with the .38 because I reload. I don't reload 9mm, I'm getting older and those tiny cases are just too difficult to handle. I don't have the dies to reload .327...yet....but maybe some day. So for the time being the .38 is working well.

The holster is new to me so I cant speak to longevity, but the build quality is significantly better than the Bianchi it replaced. I never know if links are OK here but if you google talon holsters they will pop right up. It was in the $60 range which I find very reasonable for a good quality leather holster. You can get any color you like as long as its brown or black.

I hear ya about the 9mm. At the time I made the purchase the LCR only came in one flavor, .38. Or at least thats all you could get up on the frozen tundra. I have various 9mm's, I even have a S&W revolver in 9 that uses moon clips so I'm familiar with them and quite like them. Its easy to toss a moon clip in the pocket. So when they introduced the LCR in 9 I was very tempted. Then came the .327mag and I was even more tempted. So far I've stuck with the .38 because I reload. I don't reload 9mm, I'm getting older and those tiny cases are just too difficult to handle. I don't have the dies to reload .327...yet....but maybe some day. So for the time being the .38 is working well.

The holster is new to me so I cant speak to longevity, but the build quality is significantly better than the Bianchi it replaced. I never know if links are OK here but if you google talon holsters they will pop right up. It was in the $60 range which I find very reasonable for a good quality leather holster. You can get any color you like as long as its brown or black.
If you’re willing to pay the shipping I may have a partial set of .32 dies you can have, give me a few days to find them.

If you’re willing to pay the shipping I may have a partial set of .32 dies you can have, give me a few days to find them.

Thank you for the kind offer but I've got an entire room filled with reloading equipment that I'm slowly paring down to the bare essentials. I doubt if I will go for the .327 so I'd hate to have another set of dies on hand. Sigh...so many fun guns to try and so little space.

Kahr P380 22 rounds rapid fire at 10 yards. Love the excellent sights on this tiny sub 10oz pistol - and it’s surprisingly accurate and controllable for being so darn small…

994516A7-390F-4993-91F6-9D47315C3DEA.jpeg

Unfortunately- it’s going go have to go back to the Kahr factory yet again, as I experienced a number of FTE’s and the gun bot returning to battery. I am extremely disappointed in this pistol - and in Kahr Arms. I can understand having an issue with a gun, and it needing to go back to the factory, but once it goes back - it needs to come back fixed. Unfortunately I can’t trust this gun - this won’t be adding it to my CCW. Even if it comes back from the factory flawless - I think this is a wrap for me and Kahr products.

2B21271E-39B4-4AEC-9EF7-7BD05BBD1D5C.jpeg

The S&W 340PD was flawless though and the new grip was excellent.

FF58D231-F27E-4ABF-BF16-784830AD9EDB.jpeg

20 rounds rapid fire from the 340PD at 10 yards. Needs more work, but I’m loving the progress I’m seeing.

EE9E5C11-8432-454D-9EA2-13B2880F83C4.jpeg

Top Bottom