What's new

A Day At The Range/Gun of the day

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
RSO pistol match today, I decided to shoot my SIG P365 from an IWB holster and from concealment. Of course nobody else was shooting from concealment and were shooting with full sized guns, many with RDSs. I didn’t expect to be competitive and I wasn’t, coming in dead last, but that’s OK. I need to do it some more.

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
@joel

Man, it really sucks when that little Kahr is such a great little shooter. Since you have other guns to carry, I would use it to conduct a social customer service experiment.

I would send it back to Kahr and keep sending it back to Kahr until:

1. It comes back reliable enough to carry.
2. Try their patience so much with demands they switch you out with a different pistol.

3. They give you a full refund or credit towards any other model in their line.

4. Push come to shove, you may not get a good carry .380, but you might end up with a fuller sized model that works.

5. Then you can sell the fuller sized model that works, instead of the smaller .380 that doesn’t work to some other victim. :)

Kahr P380 22 rounds rapid fire at 10 yards. Love the excellent sights on this tiny sub 10oz pistol - and it’s surprisingly accurate and controllable for being so darn small…

View attachment 1633063

Unfortunately- it’s going go have to go back to the Kahr factory yet again, as I experienced a number of FTE’s and the gun bot returning to battery. I am extremely disappointed in this pistol - and in Kahr Arms. I can understand having an issue with a gun, and it needing to go back to the factory, but once it goes back - it needs to come back fixed. Unfortunately I can’t trust this gun - this won’t be adding it to my CCW. Even if it comes back from the factory flawless - I think this is a wrap for me and Kahr products.

View attachment 1633064

The S&W 340PD was flawless though and the new grip was excellent.

View attachment 1633065

20 rounds rapid fire from the 340PD at 10 yards. Needs more work, but I’m loving the progress I’m seeing.

View attachment 1633066
How is that back stop constructed? Looks like a lot of damage.

@joel

Man, it really sucks when that little Kahr is such a great little shooter. Since you have other guns to carry, I would use it to conduct a social customer service experiment.

I would send it back to Kahr and keep sending it back to Kahr until:

1. It comes back reliable enough to carry.
2. Try their patience so much with demands they switch you out with a different pistol.

3. They give you a full refund or credit towards any other model in their line.

4. Push come to shove, you may not get a good carry .380, but you might end up with a fuller sized model that works.

5. Then you can sell the fuller sized model that works, instead of the smaller .380 that doesn’t work to some other victim. :)

You are a brother from another mother. My LGS is bracing for impact - as I bought 2K rounds of ammo and told them “This *** will go back over and over until I can get 1000 rounds before a single failure.” Their response “This will be a long ping pong match, which we know you’ll stick with and win.” Once it’s stone cold reliable - I’ll sell it - and disclose the long journey it took to get it there to the potential buyer.

OkieStubble

You are a brother from another mother. My LGS is bracing for impact - as I bought 2K rounds of ammo and told them “This *** will go back over and over until I can get 1000 rounds before a single failure.” Their response “This will be a long ping pong match, which we know you’ll stick with and win.” Once it’s stone cold reliable - I’ll sell it - and disclose the long journey it took to get it there to the potential buyer.
Perfect! :)

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Kahr P380 22 rounds rapid fire at 10 yards. Love the excellent sights on this tiny sub 10oz pistol - and it’s surprisingly accurate and controllable for being so darn small…

View attachment 1633063

Unfortunately- it’s going go have to go back to the Kahr factory yet again, as I experienced a number of FTE’s and the gun bot returning to battery. I am extremely disappointed in this pistol - and in Kahr Arms. I can understand having an issue with a gun, and it needing to go back to the factory, but once it goes back - it needs to come back fixed. Unfortunately I can’t trust this gun - this won’t be adding it to my CCW. Even if it comes back from the factory flawless - I think this is a wrap for me and Kahr products.

View attachment 1633064

The S&W 340PD was flawless though and the new grip was excellent.

View attachment 1633065

20 rounds rapid fire from the 340PD at 10 yards. Needs more work, but I’m loving the progress I’m seeing.

View attachment 1633066

Hate seeing this! My Kahr PM9 is flawless; an easy-shooter that never jams. Thought they all were ... as always, depends on the model and the assembly line (looking at you, Ruger).

AA

OkieStubble

Hate seeing this! My Kahr PM9 is flawless; an easy-shooter that never jams. Thought they all were ... as always, depends on the model and the assembly line (looking at you, Ruger).

AA

Kahr seems to have more reliability troubles with their smaller .380’s than they do with their smaller 9mm’s for some strange reason?

Back to the range today with the little CZ 527 in .223.
I used the 'best' load from the last outing, but decreased the jump to the rifling in .005 increments. The last series was a .003 jump.

It was nice at 63 F, but I had a gusting cross wind, so I am choosing to ignore the horizontal stringing, as those little 40 grain bullets are very susceptible to wind drift. The rifle is bedded stress free in an HS Precision stock with Devcon 10110 and the action screws torqued, so I am certain I don't have a bedding problem.

Tgt2.jpg

I had one called flyer (I pulled the shot and knew it). The extreme CTC horizontal spread is .552, even with the wind gusts. The CTC vertical deviation in the group of four shots is .183. That is a number I can live with.
I will load another series with the bullets in to the rifling by .001 (.004 further out), to see if the groups improve and will try to get to the range earlier in the day before the wind starts blowing things around.

This little rifle can shoot. I'm pumped about finishing this up so I can move on to the .17 Remington. One more trip should let me put 'paid' to load development for the .223.

Bill.

nikonNUT

The "Peter Hathaway Capstick" of small game
Well, another match done and dusted! Did better this time and I am gettting a feel for the range and Rose's wild wind! Pretty country BTW. Wouldn't mind a few (hundred) acres out that way. Made a screaming trip back to my brothers place and gathered up the girls and their rifle. I got it sighted in just as the crew that was blasting away at 25 yards with their ARs packed up and left. Not hating but the wee ones were griping about the noise so it was good timing. Popped a suppressor on the cricked and got it close at 50 and had Annie, the middle one, step-up. Walked her through safety, loading and cocking the rifle, getting eye relief figured out (This is not as easy as it sounds) and told her to send it. "Pffft"..."Clank!"... What the?!? "Sweetheart? Are you shooting at the green target?" "No, uncle Chris. I was aiming at the metal man shaped target!" Sooo... First shot and she hits steel at 100. Okaaayyyy. Then Elliot (6 year old) proceeds to copy her sister. Look at my brother and he just grins and shrugs. We were there for THREE hours and the RO had to tell us to leave! :lol: In the midst of all that fun the oldest shows up (14) and sees my Vudoo sitting out and squeels "I wanna shoot THAT one!" Now my brother looks at me and I just grin and shrug! Got everything packed up and my brother says "Next time bring pistols!" and asks they if they want to do it again to a resounding "YES!". I really feel for their future boy friends!

Just got home from the range (again).

This might be a little long, sorry.

Wind was blowing, but not too badly. 62 degrees.
I took my Magnetospeed chronograph with me and after firing two fouling shots, checked the next three. They checked (in order fired) 3456, 3459, and 3469 for an average of 3461 fps. This was with a maximum load (Sierra loading manual) of Winchester 748 behind a Sierra 40 grain blitzking bullet that was seated to be jammed in to the rifling by .001 - .002.
Frankly, I expected the velocities to be lower than this because I coat my bullets with WS2 and coated bullets usually run 150 - 200 fps slow, all other things being equal. I am certain that having the bullets jammed in to the rifling compensated by raising pressures upon firing.
The loads showed no sign of high or excessive pressure.
Sierra's manual shows this load at 3,400 fps.

First shock came with the sighters. For this, I used two factory Winchester rounds. They had crimped primers and the head stamping looks to be Lake City, so military grade ammo.
The shock: Both bullets went in to one oblong hole. I was not ready for that.

This was followed by scope adjustments to bring everything in to where I expected it to be. This process was confused/aggravated by the fact that although the scope turrets are marked 1/4 MOA, I finally realized that they were actually Mil graduations, causing me to consistently over shoot my settings.
Finally, I put up a clean target and began to shoot. There were a total of 12 rounds fired here.

FinalTGT.jpg

Unfortunately, I am obviously a poor shot and the irregularity of the center hole rests solely on my shoulders and is no fault of the rifle. I have adjusted the elevation up one click and I will leave it there till I decide where I want the rifle zeroed.

The little 223 is back in the safe, so now, I move on to the .17 Remington.

Guys, I am having a ball!

Bill.

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
The weekly RSO match today, I shot my SIG P365 again, but not from concealment. I fared a bit better than last week, I ran middle of the pack score wise. After the match, I sighted in my M1 Garand. My old eyes are very challenged by iron sights at 100 yds.!

Top Bottom