What's new

A Day At The Range/Gun of the day

nikonNUT

The "Peter Hathaway Capstick" of small game
Shot a PRS match in Rose, OK today. I was freezing and the wind was STUPID! While I was spotting I was watching the mirage and it would go from R to L at about 20 degrees to flat to flat L to R to looking like snow falling. This was all happening in about 10 seconds! If I can get a handle on Recon by Fire's new digs I won't be scared of ANY range! :lol: Anyways... Didn't do great but upped my hit precentage by 60% overmy last match and cleaned one stage. Getting a handle on the new rifle I suppose. Also won a cert for $325.00 off a Vortex Razor HD GIII 6-36x56 scope (already marked down $1000 so $2674.99 so not horrible)! Guess I need to build another rifle?

Yesterday was largely range-centric. During the day, I welded some broken steel swingers that belonged on my club's range.

That evening we had rimfire sporter benchrest. We had 14 shooters. I had a good night. We shot 4 matches. I shot two 1st place spots, one 2nd, and one 4th.

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
Weekly RSO match today, we shot man-on-man double elimination matches. We only had 10 shooters, I placed 3rd in the first match, I got eliminated early in the second match and placed 7th. I shot my Glock 20 in .45ACP. Afterwards I shot one of my AR pistols on the rifle range. A great morning at the range overall!

I spent the early part of today at the range building rifle racks. I did carry a rifle to use as a guide for where to put the barrel notches in the racks. Never fired a round, though.

IMG_2633.jpeg

Took these three out for some exercise today. The Springfield EMP requires no further discourse - it's boringly reliable and accurate. Hands down the most accurate gun of this size i've had the pleasure of shooting.

The primary reason I was out at the range today was to put some rounds through the Kahr P380 that had just come back from the factory due to reliability issues. Long story short - so far, it seems to run. I had a few issues (slide going back into battery on the last round 2X and staying open 1X when there was ammo left in the mag) but i'm going to chalk that up to my fault due to my grip hitting the lever. Once I focused on not doing that - the problem went away.

IMG_2621.jpeg

First mag of 6 rounds through the gun. First shot was a flyer - my fault, I was getting used to the long/unique Kahr double action trigger.

IMG_2620.jpeg

Two Magguts 7 round mags + 1 in the chamber to make 16 rounds on this target fired at a brisk, but controlled pace. Acceptable for a pocket gun, especially given how little trigger time I have with it.

IMG_2623.jpeg

The S&W 340PD (aka the palm destroyer) was a blast - figuratively and literally. For me, this was the most fun of the three guns to shoot. There's something special about this gun... it's quickly becoming a favorite.

IMG_2612.jpeg

While this was only the second time i've shot the 340PD, and the trigger is certainly still breaking in and smoothing out - I was satisfied with the accuracy. This is four volleys of 5 rounds each (total of 20 for those mathematically challenged) fired at defensive speed (sub 1 second per shot) at 7 yards. While i'm not going to win any bullseye awards - for only the second time shooting it, and running Hornady Critical Defense .357 rounds with prodigious amounts of recoil and muzzle blast, I felt this was perfectly acceptable for defensive purposes - and a hell of a lot better than my rapid fire shooting from its first trip to the range. Looking forward to taming this beast.

IMG_2615.jpeg

Any day at the range with hundreds of rounds fired through sub compact and "sub micro" guns can't be complete without discussing recoil. While the EMP is an absolute joy to shoot (again, boringly so) with very manageable recoil the Kahr P380 gives you a little jolt - and requires a firm grip - it's very unforgiving when it comes to limp wristing. The S&W 340PD with .357 magnum defense rounds might just be the biggest handful of recoil i've experienced - and I shoot a good amount of .460 and .500 magnum. That said - I don't find it uncontrollable, or overly unpleasant - provided you shoot no more than a box of .357 magnum. One box of 158 grain .38 special and a box of .357 Mag without gloves - and you're going to feel it for a few days, and your hand will look like this...

IMG_2625.jpeg

Overall - a lovely day at the range and I find myself falling in love with that "noisy cricket" of a S&W 340PD by the day. While the Kahr P380 appears to be fixed (i'll want to run it through at least 2-3 more range trips to call it cured) and it holds 3 more rounds than the 340PD, is considerably smaller in every dimension, weighs under 10oz, had night sights, is easier to shoot accurately and can be reloaded much faster than the 340PD - I don't think it's going to win the battle for my second CCW slot... I think that 340PD is going to take the W. It's one bad MFer.

DB3B8B9F-322E-4B1E-9C7C-C27F9A1D41F9.jpeg

41201945-583D-45C9-9457-C0054AAE126F.jpeg

Not sure I’ve ever been more proud of my shooting accomplishments/progress than I was today. I’ve really put in the time/effort and sacrificed the feeling in my right hand to get good with that 11oz S&W 340PD. That’s a cylinder dump of 5 rounds from a holster, as fast as I can shoot at 7 yards with 125gr Barnes TAC-XPD .357 Magnum defense ammo, flying out of that tiny barrel at 1,200 feet per second. I was able to replicate this 3X in a row with bear identical results before my hand kindly told me that was enough for the day. I would feel extremely confident armed with this little pocket rocket. Absolutely in love with this thing and it continues to amaze me how darn accurate this thing can be - my first shot is always right in the red - and if I am slow and steady and take my time I can keep all 5 shots in the 10 ring.

I might change my mind when the Kimber K6S DC shows up in a few weeks, but for now this might just be my favorite pistol. Color me surprised.

Edit: one additional note - I find the recoil brisk, but manageable. Shoot ~50 rounds of .38 special per trip, and you’re fine. Increase that number with heavier .38 special loads, or start shooting .357 magnum out of it without a glove, and you’re going to feel it. I stopped using a glove and only shoot it gloveless, and I’ve been shooting it quite a bit, but my hand/wrist feel it for days afterward. If you’re north of 170lbs and have reasonably power hands without arthritis - don’t let the recoil scare you away from this lovely little revolver. It’s HUGE fun.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
View attachment 1629064

View attachment 1629065

Not sure I’ve ever been more proud of my shooting accomplishments/progress than I was today. I’ve really put in the time/effort and sacrificed the feeling in my right hand to get good with that 11oz S&W 340PD. That’s a cylinder dump of 5 rounds from a holster, as fast as I can shoot at 7 yards with 125gr Barnes TAC-XPD .357 Magnum defense ammo, flying out of that tiny barrel at 1,200 feet per second. I was able to replicate this 3X in a row with bear identical results before my hand kindly told me that was enough for the day. I would feel extremely confident armed with this little pocket rocket. Absolutely in love with this thing and it continues to amaze me how darn accurate this thing can be - my first shot is always right in the red - and if I am slow and steady and take my time I can keep all 5 shots in the 10 ring.

I might change my mind when the Kimber K6S DC shows up in a few weeks, but for now this might just be my favorite pistol. Color me surprised.

Edit: one additional note - I find the recoil brisk, but manageable. Shoot ~50 rounds of .38 special per trip, and you’re fine. Increase that number with heavier .38 special loads, or start shooting .357 magnum out of it without a glove, and you’re going to feel it. I stopped using a glove and only shoot it gloveless, and I’ve been shooting it quite a bit, but my hand/wrist feel it for days afterward. If you’re north of 170lbs and have reasonably power hands without arthritis - don’t let the recoil scare you away from this lovely little revolver. It’s HUGE fun.
Pretty dang good for that barrel length, IMO.

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
RSO match today was short range rifle, 15 to 50 yds., mixed steel and paper. I shot my AR pistol with the bare buffer tube and didn't feel disadvantaged as compared to shooting a shouldered carbine. I placed middle of the pack.View attachment 1629066

Didn’t feel disadvantaged compared to a stock? Wow! Considering toutjist now are getting your feet under shooting with just a buffer tube, that’s saying a lot! Seems you have adapt fairly quickly?

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
View attachment 1629064

View attachment 1629065

The target looks to be about 15 yds out in the pic? Nice shooting with that powerful snub!

Top Bottom