What's new

A Day At The Range/Gun of the day

Ruger 22/45 lite with newly installed compensator. Accuracy took a big hit so removed it after the range session.

10 yards all over the place. :huh:
1AEFA087-8819-46A5-B826-A9FC7CCAD5CC.jpeg

Another outing with the 43 as well. Best group at 10 yards.
434402E5-7C98-467E-B597-942890CB6622.jpeg

nikonNUT

The "Peter Hathaway Capstick" of small game
Took the Micro to the range today to get the RDS dialed in and shot a few groups to check accuracy. For a 7” barrel it does a pretty good job of flinging lead! Had to move it right and up a hair but I think it’s minute of Squirrel!
410B85A0-A0F3-4D7E-AEF6-F9D310F0268C.jpeg

26AA54C4-D91D-4C16-B410-08924A9D95D4.jpeg

Running CCI Sub-Sonic HPs and going back tomorrow to try Standard Velocity (cheaper). Hoping to get similar results!

Last edited:
Had a similar thing happen when a buddy brought a .50 cal Desert Eagle to the indoor range, except the part that fell was about 5 yards down range. All the brass on the ground was blown down range, too.
I did shoot a cylinder of carry ammo....Barnes TAC-XPD Ammunition 357 Magnum 125 Grain TAC-XP Hollow Point. It had a huge fireball and was loud. Crazy how much power these have.

Wow! Nice shooting! Where has Bill been as of late? Haven’t seen him posting? I could listen to him talk about the 1911 all day everyday.

Reading his posts is like reading 1911 poetry! :)

He doesn’t live too far north from me. If @Mhinagoya doesn’t show back up sooner or later, ima gunna have to drive to wear he lives and take a measuring cup with me.

And borrow some sugar…. ;)
Young Man, I would consider it both an honor and a pleasure to have you in my home. As I am retired (goofing off at high speed), my schedule is 'flexible'. When you decide to head this way, send me a PM and we can work out a day (as if I was overrun with commitments). I'll even take you to lunch. If we do this in the middle of the week and the weather is decent, we can include a trip to the local range. It is outdoors and during the week, we would probably have it to ourselves.

I haven't posted much, as I have been doing the final tweaks on some handguns and the .375 (I can't explain that). I am trying to work my way to my rifles, many of which I haven't even fired. First will be the custom .17 Remington, followed by the Swift Ackley. I really want to get loads worked up for the varmint guns before this coming fall, so I will be concentrating on them first. I have to work with; .17 Remington, 204 Ruger, 223 (bolt gun), 22-250 Ackley, 22-6mm, and Swift Ackley. I think that is all the varmint guns. I want to get the loads worked up on those before starting on the .243 and larger rifles. The 25-06 was built as a bench gun for wolves and long range coyotes. I could include it in that first list. The gun weighs about 14 pounds, so it is a "portable shooting bench" gun only. Nice rifle, just heavy.

I am living the life I wanted to live in retirement and it pleases me greatly.

Bill.

nikonNUT

The "Peter Hathaway Capstick" of small game
Well, I took both Tippmanns to the range today to see how they like CCI SV. Forgot my holosun tool so I couldn't adjust the M4-22 Pro so I'll have go back (Oh no! :lol: ) The Micro likes the SV as well but the POI change is... impressive? I mean it will sill keep them in a 3" circle without a sight tweek so it will make steel go "ping" no problem but hunting would not be something I would want to risk. Pretty sure I would be chasing wounded squirrels thru the woods like an idiot! Full disclosure...my CZ is where it's at for that anyways! WAY more accurate, much quieter, and with my sorry eyes a diopter adjustment is a blessing! :lol: Thinking it's time to splurge and get my eyes done! Can't hurt for any of my shooting disciplines.

It’s good to see you posting again, we were worried about you. :)
Today is going to be a "retired guy's" day. My old friend and gun dealer shot my AR pistol a couple of weeks ago and had so much fun that he went home and ordered all the parts to build one for himself. He has never put an AR together, so we will be doing that this morning before heading to the range to play with it (convert cash to racket). Mine will be going along as well so I can get the laser close to point of impact.
We will also be testing my new AK from Palmetto State Armory.
I may even take one of my pistols along, just for a little practice.

Fun will be had by all.

I am a grateful man. All my life I have wanted access to a range so I could go shooting when I wanted to without it costing me an arm and a leg. Well, today I have unlimited access to a very nice range for the outrageous sum of $65 a year and it's only ten minutes away. I live in a conservative state where the locals are polite (although they can't drive worth a damn), I have a pleasant house that suits me and my wife and I love each other. In 25 years, we have never quarreled. It just doesn't get any better than this.

Bill.

Last edited:

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
Today is going to be a "retired guy's" day. My old friend and gun dealer shot my AR pistol a couple of weeks ago and had so much fun that he went home and ordered all the parts to build one for himself. He has never put an AR together, so we will be doing that this morning before heading to the range to play with it (convert cash to racket). Mine will be going along as well so I can get the laser close to point of impact.
We will also be testing my new AK from Palmetto State Armory.
I may even take one of my pistols along, just for a little practice.

Fun will be had by all.

I am a grateful man. All my life I have wanted access to a range so I could go shooting when I wanted to without it costing me an arm and a leg. Well, today I have unlimited access to a very nice range for the outrageous sum of $65 a year and it's only ten minutes away. I live in a conservative state where the locals are polite (although they can't drive worth a damn), I have a pleasant house that suits me and my wife and I love each other. In 25 years, we have never quarreled. It just doesn't get any better than this.

Bill.

I would love to have one of PSA’s AK’s. They look pretty awesome.

Me and my wife quarrel & fight like cats & dogs? Then make up like rabbits. ;)

Took my new Glock 47 to an indoor range on Saturday just to make sure it functions with the light I’m going to pair with it. Filthy, but all jams/malfunctions on that day were with the range provided staple gun thankfully. There’s a blast mark on the top of the light bezel but the glass cleaned up so it’s good to go.

868E4C42-23E4-46FB-A8A0-0BC8492EC1A9.jpeg

I would love to have one of PSA’s AK’s. They look pretty awesome.

Me and my wife quarrel & fight like cats & dogs? Then make up like rabbits. ;)
You could spend a lot more money and not do as well. PSA's AKs have forged bolts, bolt carriers, and trunnions. I have two of them and they function flawlessly. I'm not a fan boy, but I really like the platform. Ballistically, they are a semi auto 30-30. With a good muzzle brake, recoil isn't really noticeable. They are ugly. They sound like a tin can full of rocks when you operate the action. They make an odd racket when fired. There really isn't much to recommend them, other than the fact that they are outrageously reliable, fairly small and easily handled, deliver a significant of energy/momentum on target, soft on recoil, and an enormous amount of fun to shoot.
You can doll them up, just like you can put lipstick on a pig. Personally, I like them in original trim. Not taking a whack at the guys who use trick furniture, picatinny rails, lights, lasers, on and on. They aren't up there with an AR when it comes to accessorizing but they are getting close. There is a reason why the AK has been around since it entered service in 1948. The AK and the 1911 are probably the most recognized firearms in the world. I like them both. There seems to be a barely restrained little kid in this old man and I blame him for that affection.

Bill.

Last edited:
Tonight was rimfire sporter benchrest. It was 60F. We had 8 shooters. The rifles were 2 Remingtons, 2 CZs, and 4 Savages. We shot 4 matches. I had a record night. I shot 1st place in all 4 matches getting a cash payout each time, plus won a cash side pot.

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
Finally! My range has been closed for over a month due to flooding. I shot skeet 25 rounds each with my Remington 1100 and another box with my Browning A500G. Amazingly, it didn't aggravate my bum shoulder (yet). Then we had our RSO revolver match, I ran middle of the pack. After a lunch break, I sighted in a new RDS on a 5.56 pistol build.
A03B7968-EB70-449D-89D7-1045E3BE3428.jpeg

Next I will be removing the pistol brace and converting over to a bare buffer tube.

Last edited:

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
783CBCE5-6F67-4EED-877F-21E541E25981.jpeg

I shot the above AR pistol with and without my YHM Phantom suppressor. I neglected to catch a picture of that. Significant drop in the POI with the suppressor, but I was still able to hit a 100 yd. 12 in. steel plate shooting offhand.
9B132A09-33D6-4830-91A5-D35CDF8A5394.jpeg

The above AR pistol was sighted in with Federal American Eagle 55 gr. FMJ. I shot it with and without my Yankee Hill Machine Phantom suppressor, it shifted POI down a couple of inches.

Last edited:
Reactions: ctr
Top Bottom