What's new

A 10/22, but which one?

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Interestingly, I am no closer to deciding.

The Compact, which has the 16" bbl I like, also has plastic sights ... prefer the classic folding Williams rear and gold bead front. And the "tactical" (meh) also has the 16" and a threaded bbl./flash hider - do like that and it's the desirable short bbl.

A plain-Jane at $200 would allow for a better trigger purchase immediately ... other forums say,"get the takedown ..." and yet a standard model in stainless I could certainly live with.

I should just get a 10/22. :bored: But which one?

AA

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
I guess it would largely depend on how much you want to change things out from stock, which you could do incrementally. It would seem to me that the barrel would be the first thing to consider. I know you want a 16 incher, but what about the contour and threaded or not? Stock barrel or aftermarket. The after market trigger upgrade can be done to any rifle, so that doesn't really play into the decision of "which one" to get, other than cost that allows money left over to do the trigger. If you are going to change out the stock, barrel and add lots of goodies, then get the cheapest base gun possible. If you can live with a stock barrel, get the gun that gives you that and upgrade the trigger. Switch out other parts later as funds allow, to include the stock you like/want. I would probably just get a 10/22 that I could live with as is, save for the trigger. For me that would be the walnut stocked sporter model that I originally started out with.

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
I see that there are many after market options for the Takedown models. I don't know how important that is to you.

I love the 10/22. Surprisingly effective in both standard and modifed configurations. :thumbup1:

$7.jpg

I shot my 10/22 with the Choate stock today. The ergonomics of that stock are absolutely wonderful. My groups were average (something less than 2 MOA) but it was VERY windy and the target frame was moving back and forth, so this was not the best gauge for how well it shoots with the new stock and barrel.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
I shot my 10/22 with the Choate stock today. The ergonomics of that stock are absolutely wonderful. My groups were average (something less than 2 MOA) but it was VERY windy and the target frame was moving back and forth, so this was not the best gauge for how well it shoots with the new stock and barrel.

The one from post #50? I do like that; forend sure reminds of an M-1 Carbine.

Have seen the actual 10/22 carbine lookalike, don't like it as much as yours with the Choate!

Think I like the Tactical model in stainless, if I could pick any one.

AA

In my opinion, the most versatile 10/22 you can buy is the takedown model with the threaded barrel.
Add a scope with quick-detach rings and a couple of BX-25 magazines and you have quite the shooter. Plus you can easily suppress it if that is your thing. The little bag that comes with the takedown is really nice too. On one side it has a large pocket for the receiver, and on the other side it has two slimmer sleeves. One fits the barrel, and the other fits a scope even with rings attached. On the outside of the bag you get two more pockets. The lower one has sleeves which fit two BX-25 magazines nicely, and the upper pocket is just a single compartment that can fit quite a few of the standard BX-10 magazines. It is a really excellent, compact, package.
I've found that mine holds zero very well even after removing the scope, separating the two takedown halves, and putting it all back together again.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
The takedown is getting a lot of love, and it should. Great engineering, fills a need for many.

I still might go for it.

I backpack a lot, don't camp much. Though the takedown would fit in my pack, a pistol is much easier. And far quicker to access.

The Tactical has a 16" threaded barrel, and in stainless, hard to beat that. Thinking compact, but not necessarily concealable.

AA

I would say go for the take down if you want transportablity (is that a word?). There are many models to choose from in the take down version (the take down lite is really nice; http://www.ruger.com/products/1022Lite/models.html). If you want to evolve and customize over time, then get the carbine model, which is still a very solid rifle out of the box. There is no point in getting a stainless model or a model with a nice stock if you are just going to replace these anyways. If you just want to get a tack driver, then get this model http://www.ruger.com/products/1022Target/models.html

I sort of like the take down lite.

Last edited:

Ad Astra

The Instigator
We're getting there. Local GS has this one, but in stainless.

http://www.ruger.com/products/1022Tactical/specSheets/1283.html

Now I do think the TAPCO stock is butt-ugly. However:

• Has the 16" bbl in stainless with stainless flash hider (debatable if that works or is needed, but gives you a threaded barrel, eh.)

• Can cover worthless pic rail forend with rubber ladder-cover. Actually, it has a removable cover on (underside of forend) which is useful for a light. Most interesting critters come round here after dark.

• Even if it HAD the black (Hogue?) Ruger stock, its getting switched out in a few fiscal periods for the underfolder.

Hate that cheap-looking tacticrap TAPCO stock, but could live with it for a couple months.

AA

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
Looks like a viable option! Early Christmas present? What optics are you considering?

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Looks like a viable option! Early Christmas present? What optics are you considering?

Why, an Eotech, of course ... :lol: No, actually don't have one (or in the future).

An NC Star? :blushing: Though forced to eat Ramen noodles, I won't go that low, either.

um, soliciting thoughts on low-mag / red dot options in the $50-$150 range ... Many thanks.

AA

Burris Fast Fire III...About 200 bucks with some savy shopping. I have two in use. One is on a .357 revolver. It has seen about 4k rounds and held zero.

I have friends with them on 1911s. I would have never believed they hold up to the battering on a slide, but they do and hold zero.

I was at the range when a guy blew up a revolver with a double charge. The Fast Fire went about 50 yards. It still worked.

Last edited:

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
+2 on Fastfire III. I have one on a Ruger 22/45 pistol and I have a FF II on my M1 carbine. (The latter purchased before the FFIII was available.)

Top Bottom